German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Which airline to use for shipping dogs? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/408018-airline-use-shipping-dogs.html)

Dooney's Mom 02-07-2014 02:02 PM

Which airline to use for shipping dogs?

I need to ship my girl from Orlando Florida to Seattle Washington. Any suggestions on which airline to use or not use?

DJEtzel 02-07-2014 02:20 PM

I would personally not fly Delta. I have heard too many horror stories about them specifically and their lack of responsibility for the slip ups.

SuperG 02-07-2014 02:20 PM

I used Gradlyn ...G.K. Airfreight as the coordinator.

GK used Lufthansa and Delta...and all went very well.

If they follow past practices...pets are loaded on last and unloaded first.

SuperG

Baileysowner 02-07-2014 02:36 PM

I used united from pheonix to chicago.. they are pretty good as far as i no.. u have to have food and water on the cage and ur dog has to be conscious. . Also they provide cable ties and have climate control

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

juliejujubean 02-07-2014 02:41 PM

Both of mine were shipped with continental airlines. Had no issues. :-) they came wagging their tails and happy! <3

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

SuperG 02-07-2014 02:45 PM

One other thought....Airlines hauling pets in the cargo hold most likely have restrictions based upon temperatures at departures and destinations, which is wise. I believe when one needs to be most concerned is during the hot summer months. Winter has restrictions as well.

Below is American Airlines restrictions.

Pets cannot be accepted when the current or forecasted temperature is above 85 degrees Fahrenheit (29.4 degrees C) at any location on the itinerary.

Pets cannot be accepted when the ground temperature is below 45 degrees Fahrenheit (7.2 degrees C) at any location on the itinerary.

The restriction for cold temperature restriction may be waived with a written veterinarian statement. The low temperature acclimation certificate/statement/form must include the following:
  • Name and address of the passenger
  • Name of the animal
  • Name and signature of licensed veterinarian
  • Veterinarian's accreditation date and number
  • Temperature which the animal is acclimated
  • The letter must be dated within 10 days of the first flight the animal will be on and within 30 days of any subsequent travel within the same itinerary. It may be necessary for a passenger to obtain an additional letter for a lengthy trip
When temperatures fall below 20 degrees Fahrenheit ((-6.6 degrees C), pets may not be checked even with a statement of low temperature acclimation.

I assume most other airlines have similar restrictions regarding temperatures as well.

SuperG

Susan_GSD_mom 02-07-2014 02:50 PM

I had two different dogs shipped from Seattle to Michigan on 2 separate occasions via Northwest--no complaints at all.

boomer11 02-07-2014 03:06 PM

United will ship in any weather condition. I got my pup in the hot summer and they were the only airline I could find that would ship because their cargo area is climate controlled. They did forget to load my pup on his connecting flight though. He had to wait another hour for the next flight.

JakodaCD OA 02-07-2014 03:18 PM

Mine were on Continental no problems. However, I do agree with the poster above, check with the airlines, most won't ship in various weather conditions, they take into consideration layovers and ending stop. May be nice weather where you are, but maybe not so where they are going

SuperG 02-07-2014 03:28 PM

[QUOTE=boomer11;4984202]United will ship in any weather condition. I got my pup in the hot summer and they were the only airline I could find that would ship because their cargo area is climate controlled. They did forget to load my pup on his connecting flight though. He had to wait another hour for the next flight.[/QUOTE

I hope he got a free meal or cocktail for the inconvenience.

SuperG