German Shepherds Forum banner

Which airline to use for shipping dogs?

2K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  volcano 
#1 ·
I need to ship my girl from Orlando Florida to Seattle Washington. Any suggestions on which airline to use or not use?

#2 ·
I would personally not fly Delta. I have heard too many horror stories about them specifically and their lack of responsibility for the slip ups.

#6 ·
One other thought....Airlines hauling pets in the cargo hold most likely have restrictions based upon temperatures at departures and destinations, which is wise. I believe when one needs to be most concerned is during the hot summer months. Winter has restrictions as well.

Below is American Airlines restrictions.

Pets cannot be accepted when the current or forecasted temperature is above 85 degrees Fahrenheit (29.4 degrees C) at any location on the itinerary.

Pets cannot be accepted when the ground temperature is below 45 degrees Fahrenheit (7.2 degrees C) at any location on the itinerary.

The restriction for cold temperature restriction may be waived with a written veterinarian statement. The low temperature acclimation certificate/statement/form must include the following:

• Name and address of the passenger
  • Name of the animal
  • Name and signature of licensed veterinarian
  • Veterinarian's accreditation date and number
  • Temperature which the animal is acclimated
  • The letter must be dated within 10 days of the first flight the animal will be on and within 30 days of any subsequent travel within the same itinerary. It may be necessary for a passenger to obtain an additional letter for a lengthy trip
When temperatures fall below 20 degrees Fahrenheit ((-6.6 degrees C), pets may not be checked even with a statement of low temperature acclimation.

I assume most other airlines have similar restrictions regarding temperatures as well.

SuperG

#8 ·
United will ship in any weather condition. I got my pup in the hot summer and they were the only airline I could find that would ship because their cargo area is climate controlled. They did forget to load my pup on his connecting flight though. He had to wait another hour for the next flight.

#10 ·
United will ship in any weather condition. I got my pup in the hot summer and they were the only airline I could find that would ship because their cargo area is climate controlled. They did forget to load my pup on his connecting flight though. He had to wait another hour for the next flight.[/QUOTE

I hope he got a free meal or cocktail for the inconvenience.

SuperG

#9 ·
Mine were on Continental no problems. However, I do agree with the poster above, check with the airlines, most won't ship in various weather conditions, they take into consideration layovers and ending stop. May be nice weather where you are, but maybe not so where they are going

#11 · (Edited)
I shipped mine several times between Frankfurt and Brussels and New York, on Delta, without any problems. All airlines have climate controlled cargo areas for animals, otherwise they would freeze at altitude. I know Delta will not ship if the temperature is too high, and they have summer restrictions.

#12 ·
Another one here for United Airlines... very pleased with how the do things. Just shipped a puppy to me from Chicago to Toronto, went very smoothly.

#13 ·
Continental and Northwest no longer exist. You pretty much have Delta and United. I have never used the latter. Was not thrilled with the former, but they have been OK lately.

#14 ·
My little dude flew in with Alaska. It was a short flight from Portland to Boise, but he arrived without issue, they called the instant he was ready to be picked up and I was able to track his progress. I've never gotten an animal shipped before, so it was a new thing and I had to say that I was very happy with it! :)

#15 ·
Not flights within the US... but when I had moved my older dog from Serbia to Texas (in the fall, 4 months after the rest of our family went, due to heat restrictions), she went via Lufthansa. Had a great time, the layover lasted a day too long, and apparently she was really loved on by the people there (they left a note on her crate), since they have kennels and such there in Frankfurt.

#17 ·
A major problem is airlines are idiots, and often dont know their own rules. I had alot of problems with a folding bicycle in europe where it would make it on some flights, and on others they made me pay a fee and buy a box, but at the plane they asked me to take it out of the box and threw it away because the bike took up 1/3 the space as the box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.