Full time working parents.. suggestions.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Full time working parents.. suggestions..

Parents of dogs that is... I am gone about 10 hours a day 3 days a week and 8 hours 2 days a week. The BF has virtually the same schedule. For busy busy schedules what are you guys doing to tucker your guys out? Do your dogs just stay home and hang out or do you leave them with things to do?

Titan isn't getting to go to doggy day care anymore and we probably won't be hiring a dog walker any time soon, for various reasons. He sits at home. Which isn't all that bad. He doesn't destroy things, just lays at home. Doesn't seem to do much while were gone but sleep.. which I'm not opposed to. My only concern is him getting the right amount of exercise and stimulation.

I have left Kongs before but once I leave he doesn't usually touch them until I get home again. I have left his favorite marrow bones, that he doesn't seem to touch until I get home either. SO my assumption is he sleeps all day. Which means he is probably insanely bored and I need to exercise him a lot. I'll admit, since I have gotten back and we moved, we have been been worse about his exercise routine and I'm sick of making excuses because we are busy.. I can tell Titan is getting stir crazy so I have to figure something out regardless of my new schedule..

For mornings, until my schedule permits, I was planning on an intense game of fetch for a good while to tucker him out before I leave. 2 days a week I will be able to actually take him for a run in the mornings which will be wonderful. The BF and I are going to start taking him on long walks in the afternoons.. about 3 miles is the route we have found.. and there will likely be a good few games of fetch afterward.. which is all he lives and breathes for, ha.

What are you guys doing, and what are your suggestions? Thanks in advance

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Ralphie isn't crated so he has access to all his toys during the day, but on the occasional days that I work from home, he sleeps all day anyway. He's usually not active until the late afternoon. Sometimes I leave him with a stuffed Kong, but I don't think he messes with it much until later in the day. He's usually on the couch sleeping when I leave for work anyway. I tire him out when I get home then we play an intense game of fetch, work on training, long walks (weather permitting) etc. When it's warmer I take him for a quick walk in the morning, too, but since it's been so cold he has no interest in that lol.

I don't know if them sleeping all day is because they're insanely bored or if they do it because that's the schedule they're used to. I believe, on average, dogs usually sleep about 13 hours a day anyway. If Ralphie wanted to play and be active in the morning, he could be. He is definitely more excited and willing to be active when it's warmer outside.
katro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

I'm in a similar situtation, I'm out of the house about 9.5 hrs a day. I used to get up at 7 for work, I'm now up at 5 run the dogs, throw in some obedience, let them cool down, eat then I get ready. I have about the same routine after work, it was a big adjustment but they were going crazy.

Courtney M.
Gaia-GSD 03/09/2012
Cuervo vom Kiebitzende 07/01/2013
gaia_bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

I am so jealous of everyone who can leave their dog uncrated, and I hope to be able to do the same someday. Mine is crated from about 8am-4pm. Sometimes we can run home for lunch to let him out for 45 min. I am planning to start bike riding in the morning before I leave to help tire him. Right now he just runs around the back yard for a bit while I get ready for work.

My plan is to try to block off a room in the house and try leaving him uncrated in that room. He is still not ready to have free access, although he has gotten better (or I just have everything he could get into put away). I feel such guilt that he is crated, so I really hope eventually he will have free reign.

I also liked David Winners comment in another thread about having an outdoor dog kennel because I think my dog would love to be outside on nice spring days. He is too much of a barker currently, but maybe someday. He does seem to prefer inside when it is hot or cold, so outdoors would only work fall and spring for him.
Lark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 10:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaia_bear View Post
I'm in a similar situtation, I'm out of the house about 9.5 hrs a day. I used to get up at 7 for work, I'm now up at 5 run the dogs, throw in some obedience, let them cool down, eat then I get ready. I have about the same routine after work, it was a big adjustment but they were going crazy.
Yeah I need to figure something out.. maybe up earlier is the only option to run/walk in the mornings. I am already up at 0500 on a normal day because I'm required to be at the gym by 0630 (military lifestyle ) Wondering how much earlier I need to get up to get in a quick walk/run with Titan..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lark View Post
I am so jealous of everyone who can leave their dog uncrated, and I hope to be able to do the same someday. Mine is crated from about 8am-4pm. Sometimes we can run home for lunch to let him out for 45 min. I am planning to start bike riding in the morning before I leave to help tire him. Right now he just runs around the back yard for a bit while I get ready for work.

My plan is to try to block off a room in the house and try leaving him uncrated in that room. He is still not ready to have free access, although he has gotten better (or I just have everything he could get into put away). I feel such guilt that he is crated, so I really hope eventually he will have free reign.

I also liked David Winners comment in another thread about having an outdoor dog kennel because I think my dog would love to be outside on nice spring days. He is too much of a barker currently, but maybe someday. He does seem to prefer inside when it is hot or cold, so outdoors would only work fall and spring for him.
How old is he? also, That's exactly what I did with Titan. I had the entry way in our first house gated off so he only had his kennel and the hallway to hang out in. That's how we started.

Whitney
and
Old 02-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I work 8.5 hours, Monday-Friday.

I wake up 1.5 hours before I start work so the boys run around in the yard for a half hour. I don't really allow them to do much 1 hour prior to eating, I am afraid of bloat.

Sinister has been crate free for almost 3 years now. He probably spends the whole day laying on the couch drooling (I know this because I come home to huge wet spots on the couch ) but he does have access to toys, bones and cats.

Draco is crated, he does not have toys or bones in his crate because he is the type of dog that would choke on them or get his face stuck in something LOL.

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 10:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRen616 View Post
Sinister has been crate free for almost 3 years now. He probably spends the whole day laying on the couch drooling (I know this because I come home to huge wet spots on the couch ) but he does have access to toys, bones and cats.
HA! Yeah I'm gonna guess Titan is no the couch all day too.. only because I come home to hair embedded into the couch.. and he's nto allowed on there unless asked.. guessing he takes advantage of the opportunity. Lol! I never have to worry about what I leave out with Titan.. he's one that if ANYTHING he will make a huge mess, but won't eat anything.

I am guessing with my next pup I won't be so lucky, lol.

Whitney
and
Old 02-07-2014, 11:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post
HA! Yeah I'm gonna guess Titan is no the couch all day too.. only because I come home to hair embedded into the couch.. and he's nto allowed on there unless asked.. guessing he takes advantage of the opportunity. Lol! I never have to worry about what I leave out with Titan.. he's one that if ANYTHING he will make a huge mess, but won't eat anything.

I am guessing with my next pup I won't be so lucky, lol.
Ya Sin isn't supposed to be on the couch either unless I invite him but he could care less when I am not home.

Sin used to take a couple of small items out of the bathroom trash can and put them on his bed. He didn't destroy or eat them though. I figure hey, if this is his way of dealing with separation anxiety, then I'll take it! At least he isn't destroying furniture or anything real crazy.

Next puppy?????

Old 02-07-2014, 11:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRen616 View Post
Ya Sin isn't supposed to be on the couch either unless I invite him but he could care less when I am not home.

Sin used to take a couple of small items out of the bathroom trash can and put them on his bed. He didn't destroy or eat them though. I figure hey, if this is his way of dealing with separation anxiety, then I'll take it! At least he isn't destroying furniture or anything real crazy.

Next puppy?????
Right? That's what I figure. The BF HATES the hair on the couch but I can deal with his momentary fits if that's all Titan does all day. He has recently started going through the trash.. 4 years and never had an issue.. all of a sudden. so we shut the doors to any room with trash.. and he does the same too.. just strings it around the house for fun.. doesn't eat it. LOL.. I will say the first bag he got into had Marshmellows in it and man did he have a good time getting them all slobbery and sticking them to my carpet that was fun... haha.. he was probably so proud of himself!

Next puppyyyy yes! My BF said we can start looking in the fall for a good match! still undecided on the breed, we can get another from the breeder my Athena was from as she is replacing her for free for me.. or we may go with a rescue lab.. he really wants a chocolate lab puppy.

Whitney
and
Old 02-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post
Right? That's what I figure. The BF HATES the hair on the couch but I can deal with his momentary fits if that's all Titan does all day. He has recently started going through the trash.. 4 years and never had an issue.. all of a sudden. so we shut the doors to any room with trash.. and he does the same too.. just strings it around the house for fun.. doesn't eat it. LOL.. I will say the first bag he got into had Marshmellows in it and man did he have a good time getting them all slobbery and sticking them to my carpet that was fun... haha.. he was probably so proud of himself!

Next puppyyyy yes! My BF said we can start looking in the fall for a good match! still undecided on the breed, we can get another from the breeder my Athena was from as she is replacing her for free for me.. or we may go with a rescue lab.. he really wants a chocolate lab puppy.
LOL, I can't imagine the Marshmellow mess!

Awww!!!! How exciting!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.