German Shepherds Forum banner

need some perspective on my furry love (new dog in house has changed dynamic)

720 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  wyoung2153 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi everyone!

I have had a male Shepard now for almost 3 years and he is my LOVE. This dog followed me everywhere, went to bed when I did, sat where ever I sat, cuddled with me every morning, knows my moods, just really the BEST DOG ever.

Then my hubby brought home a pug. Which is ok, my daughter loves her and I do to EXCEPT

Now my Shepard wont even sleep upstairs with us never mind in our room, never naps with me any more, never comes to wake me up etc.

He likes the little dog, they play, I still show him TONS of affection, he shows he is happy to see me, still sometimes lays near me in the living room, I still exercise him alot.

Not sure what happened to change how he is with me?

The little dog gets into trouble and I know that makes Duke (the Shepard) feel guilty (ex: little dog pees/poops on floor) so I dont know if its that…that Duke doesnt want to get blamed...

I know this all might sound silly to you all but I am seriously really sad about this. I feel like I have hurt him and he doesnt like me anymore.

Anyone have any thoughts? (besides thinking I am ridiculous, lol)

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't think you are ridiculous, just a mom who's relationship changed with her kid (furry or not :p ) anyways, not an expert as to why that happened, but I think the new pup is just that.. new.. and he likes her. She may be able to play in ways that you couldn't. I dont' think that means he doesn't "like" you anymore just that he has a new friend. Just like when we get new friends we tend to hang out with them a lot more too. Not to mention his routine has probably changed with him so he's adjusting.

Also, just curious.. do you let him pick where he sleeps? I don't give Titan that option.. he's in my room no matter what. Maybe you just bring him up there regardless if you want him in your room.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.