German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   After your dog catches a rabbit... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/407106-after-your-dog-catches-rabbit.html)

Blanketback 02-05-2014 05:28 PM

After your dog catches a rabbit...

...then what?

I had to cover an early morning shift today, so I was up before the sun. My pup and I were out there in the dark - him waiting while I cleared the snow off my car.

I was wondering why he wasn't pestering me with the frisbee. When I went to my usual tossing spot, there was a rabbit lying there. Not covered in snow, so I assumed my boy caught it and broke the rabbit's neck. Poor little critter.

I ignored it and we carried on with the frisbee. After we were done, I went to move the carcass. Strangely, its head was almost severed. I googled around and it seems that this is what a cat or a coyote will do to a rabbit.

So now I'm wondering: did my dog actually kill the rabbit, or did he find the fresh kill? Or is it just a coincidence that this was were the kill was made? Very odd. I'll never know what really happened, since it was pitch black and snowing so any other tracks wouldn't have been seen.

But have any of your dogs tried to decapitate a rabbit once it was caught? I'm wondering if he did catch it in the first place, but would he start eating it too? He's not raw fed. He lives with a cat and rats - not that this would have much bearing on wildlife. But still...hmm...thoughts?

Sp00ks 02-05-2014 05:35 PM

With our old Shepherd the routine was that I got up at 5am, let the dog out, started the coffee pot, let the dog back in and so on.

This one morning opened the back door to let the dog in, it's pitch black, I saw something in her mouth and couldn't tell what it was. "What do you have girl?" she immediately went into the GSD death shake. Needless to say, I had blood all over me, she had blood all over her white coat, my porch and the back of the house looked like a mass murder took place.

I can't tell you if she she tried to decapitate it but it was certainly shredded. She was fed kibble, not raw, we had a smaller dog in the house but no cats or rats. She did chase mice, lizards, birds though.

Oh and that was a lovely way to start a morning before my first cup of coffee.

Kaimeju 02-05-2014 05:38 PM

It is very likely a coyote or bird killed it and dropped it there.

My dog doesn't usually jump in to eating new dead things. We came across a deer carcass the other day and she was suspicious, not hungry. Same with the birds my cat "kills" (that sick little creature!)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

selzer 02-05-2014 05:40 PM

Then, you never sing Hound Dog to him again.

selzer 02-05-2014 05:43 PM

I suppose you can skin it and feed it to him. But I would then give him some type of wormer, because rabbits can carry tape worms. Any time mine imbibe in something not on the general menu, I usually will worm them just to be safe.

Germanshepherdlova 02-05-2014 05:46 PM

My dog has never been on a raw diet but whenever he catches be it a bird or a rabbit..to him it's dinner time.

doggiedad 02-05-2014 05:48 PM

i think if your dog caught the rabbit you would have heard it.

David Taggart 02-05-2014 05:49 PM

Rabbits are the most natural prey for wolves. Dogs chase them being driven by sheer instinct, as well as they have a habbit of digging the ground - because mice are their natural prey as well. But I don't think that it was your dog, because you would hear him barking prior to killing. He, without any experience, would only injure the rabbit. It wasn't a coyote or a big cat, because the rabbit wasn't even partly eaten. Most likely it was another dog, experienced in hunting and killing them. His owner left the body for wildlife to eat healthy food, or to poison some wildlife representatives.

Mister C 02-05-2014 05:49 PM

My girl Maddie never caught a rabbit but she did make a deal with them when she got older. See here.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...l-rabbits.html

I've seen plenty of dogs eat wild game such as rabbits, chipmunks, and squirrels and it didn't seem to have any ill effects. I am still reading up on raw diets but fresh live game doesn't seem much different to me than a raw diet.

Maddie once caught a crow. She crested a hill and pounced on the crow before it even saw her. But she really didn't know what to do next. So she looked at me while standing on the crow. I gave her the OUT! command and she backed off letting the crow fly away. She was such a good girl.

For many years after that all the crows cleared the park when we arrived and then starting yelling at us. Crows are pretty smart.

Blanketback 02-05-2014 06:07 PM

I was worried about worms. Or whatever a rabbit can infect a dog with. I even kept it, just in case... DH will have a fit when he finds out what's in that box, lol!

I don't know if there was any noise, because I was making lots of noise myself. Between the snow and the cursing, lol. Geez, I've shoveled twice again today. Make it stop!!!

ETA: I just remembered I gave my pup hamburger on the weekend! Argh, it's true!!! He's tasted blood!!!!