After your dog catches a rabbit... - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2014, 05:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

My last GSD caught and ate a bunny in our yard. Like many other posters, I heard nothing but he was too quiet. Yard looked like a huge blood bath, all that was left was the ears and toenails. My vet was not worried as at that time I was giving Heartguard which had wormers in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

A raw supplier in my general area sells rabbit...and one choice is ground rabbit head...so I guess they might enjoy it.

Doggiedad's comment about hearing it is most certainly my experience....first time my pooch caught a rabbit, I thought a baby was being killed...it was crazy loud and amazing a little wabbit can make such sounds. I do know they use a rabbit in distress sound to call in coyotes. If you have never heard a rabbit making this sound, you will be blown away the first time you do.

I used to have a plague of rabbits in my fenced in backyard years ago, they'd eat everything pretty much. Then a new sheriff showed up....no more rabbits.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 06:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm not very happy with the rabbits right now. They've girdled our apples trees and one was just starting to bear fruit last year. Very very unhappy. I guess it's all this stinking snow, since they've left them alone for the past 2 winters. Boooo.

I know if the rabbit put up a fight there'd be lots of noise. But I've also seen a dog kill a cat, and that was instantaneous. Just a quick catch, with a quick snap, and it was over in a second. This is bugging me, lol. If only it wasn't dark out and I could have seen the tracks!
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 06:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanketback View Post
I'm not very happy with the rabbits right now. They've girdled our apples trees and one was just starting to bear fruit last year. Very very unhappy. I guess it's all this stinking snow, since they've left them alone for the past 2 winters. Boooo.

I know if the rabbit put up a fight there'd be lots of noise. But I've also seen a dog kill a cat, and that was instantaneous. Just a quick catch, with a quick snap, and it was over in a second. This is bugging me, lol. If only it wasn't dark out and I could have seen the tracks!
Ah you can give the head to the dog, and make a stew out of the rest of it. Wabbit stew is delicious. Just saying, time to make Cujo get out there and earn his keep.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 06:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Taggart View Post
But I don't think that it was your dog, because you would hear him barking prior to killing. He, without any experience, would only injure the rabbit.
Why would a dog bark before killing a rabbit? My GSD liked to stalk/chase rabbits sometimes and I never once heard her bark at one. She either would stop dead in her tracks and quietly and verrry slowly start to advance on it, or if the rabbit was already alerted and running she would run after it. No barking at all. I always joked she liked the rabbits so much because she was on a rabbit-based diet (due to allergies) LOL.
I also don't think a dog would necessarily only injure a rabbit if they caught it, I think an inexperienced dog could kill a rabbit even if they were just playing around (shaking it hard enough would probably kill it).
Old 02-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

LOL! You know, back before those trees were so badly damaged, I would have thought differently...now I'm thinking it would be the perfect treat. I'd just like to know (not that I ever will) how the rabbit died.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 06:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Taggart View Post
Rabbits are the most natural prey for wolves. Dogs chase them being driven by sheer instinct, as well as they have a habbit of digging the ground - because mice are their natural prey as well. But I don't think that it was your dog, because you would hear him barking prior to killing. He, without any experience, would only injure the rabbit. It wasn't a coyote or a big cat, because the rabbit wasn't even partly eaten. Most likely it was another dog, experienced in hunting and killing them. His owner left the body for wildlife to eat healthy food, or to poison some wildlife representatives.
My dogs, both the GSDs and the crosses, chased rabbits silently and efficiently. One, my Sarah, used to find bunny nests and dig them up. I almost always saved the babies from her... Except once... When I got to her, she swallowed two babies WHOLE, just to keep me from getting them from her... it happened so fast and I was so rattled I didn't even have time for a sharp "LEAVE IT!"

Also, when they catch bunnies, the poor babies scream this bloodcurdling scream... Once you hear it, you never forget it.
Susan_GSD_mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 06:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Well, if the rabbit died of old age or from some terrible sickness, chances are the dog wouldn't have half decapitated it. And it wouldn't bleed much if he did. Heart's not pumping, so...

But your right, I would rather know how the thing died. Of course if you gut it and wash it good and then stew it good and long with some onions, celery, and spices, and then add some potatoes, carrots and turnips in the last half hour, you will probably kill anything that might be lurking...

Go easy on the onion, and if you can't stomach it, you can always feed it to the dog. The dog will LOVE some rabbit stew, potatoes, carrots, and all.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
Old 02-05-2014, 06:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan_GSD_mom View Post
My dogs, both the GSDs and the crosses, chased rabbits silently and efficiently. One, my Sarah, used to find bunny nests and dig them up. I almost always saved the babies from her... Except once... When I got to her, she swallowed two babies WHOLE, just to keep me from getting them from her... it happened so fast and I was so rattled I didn't even have time for a sharp "LEAVE IT!"

Also, when they catch bunnies, the poor babies scream this bloodcurdling scream... Once you hear it, you never forget it.
Mother Nature is cruel.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
Old 02-05-2014, 06:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagocanine View Post
Why would a dog bark before killing a rabbit? My GSD liked to stalk/chase rabbits sometimes and I never once heard her bark at one. She either would stop dead in her tracks and quietly and verrry slowly start to advance on it, or if the rabbit was already alerted and running she would run after it. No barking at all. I always joked she liked the rabbits so much because she was on a rabbit-based diet (due to allergies) LOL.
I also don't think a dog would necessarily only injure a rabbit if they caught it, I think an inexperienced dog could kill a rabbit even if they were just playing around (shaking it hard enough would probably kill it).
Twice years ago I came outside to find my two canines, each with half a rabbit in his/her mouth. I could only hope the separation was POSTmortem!
Susan_GSD_mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.