German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Help me out please! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/407050-help-me-out-please.html)

R-a-m-b-o 02-05-2014 03:03 PM

Help me out please!

I got a real problem that i didn't solve in my mind yet.
My friend has a female WL Gsd with the whole package. she has the looks,drive, and good blood line.
He's planning on finding her a good mating partner.
And he may give me one of the pups for free.
But I got three problems.
1. I wanted to start protection training with my own dog and i didn't even start it yet.
2. I'm working 9 hours a day
3.Mom.(lol)
Should i really consider it?
it's a really hard decision.
What would you guys do if you were in my shoes?
(And let's say that i even convinced my mother with the idea of having a new dog in our life.)

wyoung2153 02-05-2014 03:55 PM

Personally.. If I really wanted protection training... no. Only because of how much that takes, especially if you have a full time job and you're a mom. That or I would stick with OB with your current one and get the puppy if that's what you want.. from experience though... I would not get a puppy again just because the opportunity presented itself. It wasn't a mistake but I was so incredibly stressed..

David Taggart 02-05-2014 03:59 PM

Working 9 hours a day you shouldn't consider any pet, not even a rabbit.

R-a-m-b-o 02-05-2014 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyoung2153 (Post 4971082)
Personally.. If I really wanted protection training... no. Only because of how much that takes, especially if you have a full time job and you're a mom. That or I would stick with OB with your current one and get the puppy if that's what you want.. from experience though... I would not get a puppy again just because the opportunity presented itself. It wasn't a mistake but I was so incredibly stressed..

I thought that i wrote "My mom" at 3rd reason, my bad. :rolleyes:
i'm 20 year old male :D

hunterisgreat 02-05-2014 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Taggart (Post 4971114)

I often work much more than that :-(

wyoung2153 02-05-2014 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R-a-m-b-o (Post 4971194)
I thought that i wrote "My mom" at 3rd reason, my bad. :rolleyes:
i'm 20 year old male :D

Ha! Well then.... let's not worry about that one then.. but still I would say to focus on the one you have... I disagree with David about not owning anything at all. I am in the military and God knows the hours we work and Titan is doing just fine (recent issues.. All me.. but nothing to do with being gone at work)

I would just say that a puppy isn't what you need right now.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

havery 02-06-2014 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Taggart (Post 4971114)

Yeah.....really gonna have to disagree with you there. This means pets are only suitable for what? The super elite and people who work at home? 9 hours a day is nothing compared to most of the people I know....most in my area work 12 hour shifts, my husband included. I work 6 hours, and usually spend another 3-4 with my kids before getting time with my dogs. And they don't care. They love me the same and are just as happy the days I'm home as the days I work.

OP, I highly suggest NOT getting a puppy for those reasons. The fact that you obviously weren't planning on it and seem to have major reservations kinda answers your own question. I know it's hard to pass up a great opportunity like that, but you and your dog will be much better off if the future household member comes at the right time.

~*~*~*~
Furbabies:
Sofie Rose born 08/2012
Yann von Erzengel born 02/2006