German Shepherds Forum banner

Stray GSD Saves Woman

3K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  Germanshepherdlova 
#1 · (Edited)
Since saving this woman, Hero has been adopted and is now in SAR training. Video link below.

Note: I posted for the gsd story not to start a religious debate. The story happens to be on a faith based website.

FaithTap: Proof God is All Around Us

#6 ·
What a great rescue story. I think that dog already picked his favorite work - SAR! It made me cry but thanks for posting the link.

#18 ·
I fostered a dog who was one of 5 who had been cooped up in a house with their dead owner for over a week before anyone knew there was a problem. None of them did anything to the corpse. The toilets, on the other hand, were empty of water.

Now cats... they will eat you!

#19 ·
Most likely explanation for it is she hallucinated half that crap dragged herself from the wreck and the dog was the first thing she saw when she came to near the side of the road, or she just told a lie for attention.

Dogs don't just comprehend a situation like that and drag people to a road for rescuing. I'm calling bs on this one.

#22 ·
Could be. But, dogs are smarter than we think they are. And they sometimes do things you wouldn't imagine. Like the dog that followed the 2 year old onto the roof and kept herding him back from the edge, or the family mutts who followed the toddler out of the house in the winter and were all over him all night to keep him warm so he wouldn't freeze, or the English Setter (hunting line which is generally about 45 pounds (we had one), and it dragged its owner home when he had a heart attack. Now, all these dogs were acting to save a family member, but I'm sure if we raked our memories we can find stories where dogs actually did something heroic for a stranger who was totally helpless or in need. I mean Babsy tried to mother a baby mouse. And other bitches have been known to mother other orphans. I don't see it as impossible.

#23 ·
There are instincts and pack drives that can explain some of that kind of thing away. If i went walking around the yards and laid down id have a bunch of dogs piled onto me. My dogs sleep next to me it isnt rare. A dog tugging a family member home happens every time it isnt loose leash trained. Dogs herd kids ducks and such all the time. What this story describes is pure horse crap.

#27 ·
There are instincts and pack drives that can explain some of that kind of thing away. If i went walking around the yards and laid down id have a bunch of dogs piled onto me. My dogs sleep next to me it isnt rare. A dog tugging a family member home happens every time it isnt loose leash trained. Dogs herd kids ducks and such all the time. What this story describes is pure horse crap.
When I lay on the floor my dogs all come and pile on me too. They think it's free lovin' time. If I ignore them, they normally lay next to me and nap.

A couple years back my heart beat got stuck in over drive. I collapsed on the floor in my living room. The exact same spot I would lay in front of the TV with the dogs. My GSD went bonkers and was mouthing me and digging at me with his paws. My doxie kept attempting to bury herself under me. My Golden, who stays outside 24/7 and NEVER wants to come in, kept trying to plow his way through my daughter (who was trying to get the dogs away from me and outside).

She ended up having to crate the GSD. He would not settle and continued to throw himself against the sliding glass window in an attempt to get back inside with me.

All behaviors they had never displayed before or since. Do I think the dog was trying to drag her to the road? I say it could happen. The injured person was displaying abnormal behavior and smells.

I think since the SAR group adopted the dog to work, they had to have found something usable in the dog. SAR dogs aren't a dime a dozen.

#24 ·
A 45 pound dog does not drag a 160 pound hunter all the way out of the woods and up to his back door all the time. The guy wasn't stumbling along, he was on the ground being dragged, according to the story. And English Setters are not known for their brilliance.

I agree though, that it does seem like extraordinary thinking for a dog to drag the woman to the road.

#28 ·
I totally believe the story. One day my hubby was cutting the grass and I was teaching my daughter how to ride a bike, as I ran along her bike I tripped and both of us fell to the ground. I hurt my leg and was having difficulty standing back up-my GSD was in our fenced backyard-he went CRAZY when he saw us fall-he barked and jumped at the fence and my husband who could not hear a thing because of the lawnmower noticed Brutus' behavior and that alerted him to look around-that's when he saw that we needed help. Dogs (many) know when someone is hurt and needs help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.