German Shepherds Forum banner

Animal rights= arrogance and scary and extreme

20K views 290 replies 52 participants last post by  Wetdog 
#1 ·
Top 8 Arguments Against Animal Rights

I am so scared for animals in the future. No more breeding causes extinction for a consequence for our beloved animals. If they really cared they would let animals live on. Our dogs are happy to be with humans even animals that are not dogs. The other thing animal rights activists say people do not see the consequences for their actions. Well, black and white as AR people their actions will be a consequence to regret if our worse nightmare does happen. Can't live without animals on the planet interacting with humans. They think all humans are nasty and hate animals. So much extreme black and white. If you ever beat them in arguments "dogs are not given consent to do work, breed to be used whatever". Lol the AR ppl are not giving dogs their consent either.

#110 ·
I've seen birds sitting beside the dead bodies of their partners (??) when they've been hit by cars, and I'm guessing that they're mourning their passing. I don't know this for a fact, but it always makes me sad. However, this isn't proving that they understand the concept of death. I think it's almost the same as how we humans can be very reckless in our youth. We do things that, in our older years and thinking back, make us squirm, lol.

#112 ·
I've read the whole thread and I guess I'm confused from the very beginning. I can't tell what the OP's stance is with regard to animal rights from even the title. "Animal Rights=arrogance and scary and extreme". Yet the comments, seem to indicate that he is for AR. It also makes it difficult to understand when complete sentences and thoughts aren't used. Is he ... for animal rights ... against? I can't tell from even the title of this thread.

#113 ·
I'm under the assumption that OP is struggling to find out where he fits into the puzzle that is the AR movement. He has the influence of his sister, who apparently is an AR extremist, and he questions her views - such as we shouldn't keep pets. But then he's lost and makes blanket statements without knowing all the facts - such as, hunting in particular is responsible for all extinction. And I think the thread had a different title at one point, if I remember correctly.

#116 ·
I see how the world treat animals. It's messed up, look at bullfighting, hunting so many excuses killing animals, destroying environments, factory farms/slaughterhouses= traumatizing, all killings towards animals needlessly is traumatizing, you know people are licensed somewhere in Asia killing dogs? Also people pelt dogs over there too? Even saw a German shepherd getting skinned alive just horrible! Wanted to beat up that person that very second. Eat dogs see them like dirt and tools compare to us. It's horrible how they treat marine life too.

Wouldn't hesitate for a second if there are animals in trouble and risk my life to save them, including people unless they don't treat animals nicely. Heard about a guy who mutilated a cat a few towns away from mine. Every single death of animals millions out their dying stastically more than people it's no big deal. They don't get funerals ever, or memorial services except for dogs. Urging wishes to beat mindless animal abusers up imagine it a lot. These people are not real people. If I ever come across I will without hesitation. Harming animals and amazing people is traumitizing affects anybody physologically.

Look at my mirrors to see that how pathetic am I? Am I all just words not action? Who am I? That's what we are hear to find out aren't we? I know who I am some awesome animal guy! Not going to martial arts consistently enough to get physically stronger. Not a consistent person at all. Need to become a consistent person no matter what. Not being consistent lead to many regrets to this day. Pitiful and pathetic, cowardness. Can't let society control I! Drama helps a lot though becoming more consistent, even harsh critizicing sounding words can help too. I am following my heart and see all what's happening all through webs through hidden cameras, reading info, even some books, even know someone which I had no idea until later worked in a slaughterhouse. He talked to my sister's animal rights activists which is less extreme than others. Although still extreme to certain degrees with pressuring talk about keeping pets and breeders all of that nonsense and animal and people interactions severed. This post-slaughterhouse guy said, "Yeah these animals really are suffering." Next time I see him can talk to him about it.

#114 ·
Blanket, there were two different threads. The hunting one (now closed) was in the chat room. :)

#117 ·
#118 ·
Lobo you are very generalized. You cannot paint everyone with the same brush and any change starts with you.
Be aware of where you food comes from. Cosmetics, shampoos, clothes. Where you have to drive and why? Can you get there another way?
I make conscious choices every day as I'm a form believer in karma. I still eat meat and will continue to do so. I hope to get a white tail draw this year. My dog will eat raw and my cat just started on a raw diet. I know where my meat comes from to the best of my ability and I make as many ethical choices as I can.
Even living here in Alberta.

Your playing small does not serve the world. Who are you not to be great?~Nelson Mandela

#120 ·
LOBO, your inexperience in life comes through in almost every post. hunting, is a needed wildlife management tool. i would rather see a hunter shoot and eat a deer than have a family member die in an auto accident after hitting a deer. same goes for the over population of bear here in jersey. other countries consider dogs food and i find it ignorant to impose your values on other cultures. i suggest you try studying some biology, history and zoology. it will enlighten you and enable you to form educated opinions.

#121 ·
-------" i would rather see a hunter shoot and eat a deer than have a family member die in an auto accident after hitting a deer."------

The causality of dying in a car wreck after hitting a deer is driving a car, along with other factors, such as inattention, driving too fast for conditions, not wearing a seat belt, poor safety design, poor road design, along with many others but that is just to give an idea.

The only way that hunting deer would eliminate deer as a traffic hazard is if deer were hunted to extinction. And that is obviously not a viable option.

Hunting deer is not justifiable as a means of reducing wrecks. Using this logic, it makes more sense to say that outlawing the hunting of wolves and other large predators is necessary to reduce traffic fatalities because they kill deer.

#125 ·
While I do think that many animals are pests and/or possibly dangerous, I don't feel like we have the right to hunt any of them to extinction.

I'm not going to try and convince anybody here to agree with my opinions, but I do feel that there are a few posters who are forming opinions without having all the facts. Whether they decide to learn more and see if they need to revise their thoughts and feelings is up to them, but if they want to remain ignorant, it's not my problem unless they are trying to encroach on my rights. Anybody's right to swing their fist ends just before it reaches me.

#127 ·
Humans meddling with the balances of nature has it's consequences......most always in a negative result.....yet humans are compelled to modify their surroundings so we simply have to accept the results of our actions.....whether we like it or not.

SuperG

#128 ·
Humans are not the only creatures that modify their surroundings and affect the environment. Beaver dams can wreak havoc on existing ecosystems. Lemmings regularly overpopulate, eat themselves out of house and home, and starve to death. Same with deer. A biblical swarm of locusts can destroy anything green for miles, causing other wildlife to starve. I could go on and on, but my point is, humans are animals too. We like to think we are superior, but we are no better, no worse. We like to look out for our own best interests--all animals do that. If we didn't look out for ourselves, no one else would. We exploit our environment for our own selfish interests, but so do other animals.

We're just animals too, trying to make a living... no one gets mad at the male lion who takes over an existing pride and kills all the cubs, even though it seems horrific. We humans hold ourselves to a different standard because we are more "evolved", but we ourselves are barely out of the tree.

#130 ·
Lobo, animals don't give each other memorial services or funerals. That is a HUMAN invention that does NOTHING for the dead person. It is for the survivors, a chance for them to remember and honor an individual's life, and grieve for the person.

People grieve for their pets.

Pets grieve when they lose a person, whether the person dies, or just walks out on the pet's life, there is often some grieving depending on the type of pet.

I just finished off the last of the chicken paprikash I made last Sunday for my sister's family. I made two dinners, one with a chuck roast -- a tiny fraction of a beef critter, and one from a single chicken. Out of that I fed my sister's family of 5 for two nights, and my parent's and I for two nights. (I also ate with my sister's family on one of their nights.)

Because we used ANIMAL products, we managed to provide the proper amount of calories, protein, and fat using far less vegetable matter. Which in fact means we killed FEWER animals, by eating meat.

If the entire United States of America, would turn into vegans, we would not be able to produce the sustenance for all the people, and far more land would be removed from parks and wildlife to produce all the vegetable matter we would need to survive.

It is NOT all black and white.

If you do not kill the deer, hunt the deer, they over-populate, like in my sister's city neighborhood. Where 17 or 20 deer will be fighting over the tree branches on her little postage stamp of a lawn. They're starving. Why are they starving? Because no one can hunt them there. There are far too many of them, and they have eaten all there is to eat.

If I had to choose a bullet through the heart or brain, or starving to death, I would prefer the bullet. Not hunting the deer and keeping the numbers in check is cruelty to animals.

In my neighborhood there are not starving herds of deer. I see them here and there, but the numbers are at an acceptable level because guys go out and shoot them to feed their families. Trust me that these people are not leaving these deer to rot in the woods. It isn't happening. Many starving Ohioans scoop of the road-kill dear too. But hunted deer are cooked and eaten regularly in my neck of the woods. It is a good thing.

#131 ·
If the entire United States of America, would turn into vegans, we would not be able to produce the sustenance for all the people, and far more land would be removed from parks and wildlife to produce all the vegetable matter we would need to survive.
Ye might be a bit slimmer. lol

Nah really do, a cow uses a lot of land to feed him every year. If you used that land to produce veg it would be a lot of veg. It is not that hard to sustain ones self on veg and non meat products these days with the amount of wealth around. You go to a poorer country and they need meat.

To me it's like meat is nice and I like it. I get free range sheep really cheap and pretty much only eat that.

Wouldn't really be into killing it myself but do like munching on it.

#135 ·
Nah really do, a cow uses a lot of land to feed him every year. If you used that land to produce veg it would be a lot of veg. It is not that hard to sustain ones self on veg and non meat products these days with the amount of wealth around. You go to a poorer country and they need it.
See it is not that simple. Speaking about Australia here as I have never been to the U.S........to grow vegetables requires a certain climate, rainfall and soil type......over here growing vegetables where cattle are predominately run would not be possible and I am thinking that in many parts of the U.S this would also be the case.......trying to picture veggies growing in the mountainous regions of cattle country ......it just wouldn't be possible......so saying we could just grow veggies where the cattle are is......well......very simplistic :)

#136 ·
actually, deer hunting is considered the #2 reducer of deer/vehicle collisions

http://wildlifecontrol.info/pubs/Documents/Deer/Deer-Vehicle_factsheet1.pdf

you have to go all the way to page 5
Very, very true. They do this in SW PA. The year before I left, a Fish and Wildlife Officer came to my door one day and informed me they were doing a night hunt and to stay indoors with my animals from 11pm until 5am. It was to help thin out a herd as it wasn't uncommon to see 10-20 deer milling on this road that was notorious for deer strikes. I know they would raise the tag limits some years if there was a population explosion.

#133 ·
One would think that there wasn't millions of years of animals becoming extinct before humans graced the scene. One might think that some strange foreknowledge of coming humans, cause all the dinosaurs to die out.

As for eating dogs, that's cultural. I like to eat cows, pigs, and chickens. Some cultures may find that repulsive. It really isn't any of my business if other cultures eat things that we keep as pets.

#137 ·
Sparra ..
to grow vegetables requires a certain climate, rainfall and soil type......over here growing vegetables where cattle are predominately run would not be possible and I am thinking that in many parts of the U.S this would also be the case.......trying to picture veggies growing in the mountainous regions of cattle country
Cow manure is the best addition to any garden and if there are cows then they have to feed on something so veg will also grow. It is very easy to change a soil type over a couple of years with the right materials. My point was a cow eats so much acreage per year that a lot of veg can be grown on less acreage. Even is Australia. Some crops like arid regions some like loads of water etc.

A balance should be struck between fruit and veg production and cattle and live stock grazing. And people should diversify away from monocultures to get the best out of the land they have.

Hope that's not to idealistic.

#145 ·
Sparra ..

Cow manure is the best addition to any garden and if there are cows then they have to feed on something so veg will also grow. It is very easy to change a soil type over a couple of years with the right materials. My point was a cow eats so much acreage per year that a lot of veg can be grown on less acreage. Even is Australia. Some crops like arid regions some like loads of water etc.

A balance should be struck between fruit and veg production and cattle and live stock grazing. And people should diversify away from monocultures to get the best out of the land they have.

Hope that's not to idealistic.
Topography of the land is a major consideration also......I understand what you are saying but growing veggies is just not possible in MANY regions.

It is not idealistic at all what you are saying regarding balance and it is already happening in most parts of the world. Meat is a cheap protein in MANY countries ......it is a necessity......I do not believe it is possible to provide the world with enough protein from other sources if meat was off the menu.

#138 ·
I have a question Lobobear, and honestly am asking this out of curiosity.

Tell me, write down, exactly everything you "ate" yesterday. Everything.

And I rather agree with Freestep, your postings can be very confusing as you are all over the place, honestly, reread some of them outloud and maybe you understand them, but alot of people posting here don't. Some make sense, others make no sense at all. Just a friendly tip

#139 ·
In my opinion, if you feel strongly about something....you don't let jail hold you back. The guy that created "The Cove" risk death on a daily basis to bring the information to light. The little girl who was shot by the Taliban for going to school. Missionaries going into country's they know could be dangerous but risk it to help others, doctors without borders. The soldiers that leave their families and homes, the safety of America to risk their lives to protect our freedoms in this country.....all of them....know what they want, are following their dreams and don't let the fear of jail or death stop them....these are a very few examples of courage.
Someone who turkey believes what they are saying do not let fears stop them.
I don't know how old you are, I don't know what influences you have in your life. But it sounds like you are lost, like you are not sure what to believe in. I was there....around 14-15 years old. I had to find my passion, my path. I moved out of a very messed up home. Decided my path, and took it. I had many many many struggles along the way, huge setbacks. But I never gave up. Worked 3 jobs and paid for all of my own supply's for homeschool so I could get a diploma, something few in my family had done. I did not listen to the family members that suggested I take their path, or the ones that said what I was doing was stupid or impossible. Everything I was going went against the majority in my family were doing. I was told I was snotty, stuck up, a "b" word....that I thought I was better than everyone else. Well....all of the opinions did nothing but prove I wanted to be away from that mentality. That I had to get away from the mind set that everyone had to share the Same opinions or never be around each other. See...my family believed if you were different, if you did not share the same ideas or opinions...you were enemies....that you could not be friends or family. I believed that there had to be people who could think differently, but be family and friends. I knew what I would be loosing if I made the right hanged and used logic instead of emotion to think and live by. Sadly all of my fears came true, when I voiced who I was, what I stood for and when I started living my life the way I decided was my path. At 15...I was completely alone. Living the life of a very young conservative. My very liberal family abandoned me, because I did not share their life views. I wanted better and was considered and outsider...a snobby meany....yet they were the ones that abandoned me....when I did see a family member I was made fun of, when they saw my diploma, I was harassed, when they saw me make changes and succeed they teased harder, scapegoated and were relentless in their bombarding verbal and emotional attacks. Me staying clear of drugs, alcohol, cigarettes and other addictive habits...was not rewarded or cheered. It was teased and used as a weapon to tease and verbally attack me. Never were they supportive, never were they my cheer leaders. I lived alone, cheered for myself and celebrated my successes alone. Today at 35 years old...4 of my cousins who finally woke up, visit with me...4 out 57 cousins...the point of the story...to help you understand...that I know what lost sounds like, looking for purpose sounds like, and knowing the desire to create a path for life sounds like. In my opinion, it sounds like you are where I was at 15 years old.
I can promise...you can follow someone's path, you can't emulate another's life. You have to find your own path if you want to feel fulfilled and accomplished. You can admire and look up to others but you can never be fulfilled following someone else's path. I am not a famous AR activist, not a well known member of the community. But what I am and have done is mine and mine alone. Not only did I become a visual merchandiser at 16 making $20 and hour, but I was also the manger of a clothing store at the age of 18...my work ethic and drive carried me farther than anyone else in my family had ever gotten. I did marry at 20 and had my first daughter at 20....but I did things my way...some say I am to strict, some say to conservative in raising my girls, I was criticized for taking the path of homemaker and giving up the career path. 16 years later...my path has me still married to with two beautiful, amazing daughters who are strong, straight forward, honest, well mannered, loving, caring, responsible, honor students, who volunteer their weekends to help in the community while being very conservative in moral, and political areas. Others did not like my path, others criticized my path, I was made fun of and bullied by not only friends but family. I never allowed it to change my path! Others may have influenced me...but I lived for me and my family.
Stop watching siblings, parents, family and friends....start thinking about where you want to be in 5 or 10 years and make choices that get you to that place. And remember mistakes now or in the near future can prevent you from achieving your goals...so be well aware of mistakes that can keep you from the life you want. Success is not measured in money, houses, cars or material items....In my opinion...it is waking up knowing that I am exactly where I belong that makes me feel successful. Knowing that I made my way against everything people threw at me..knowing I gave my kids a completely different life and lifestyle...
My daughter loves every animal...would own a zoo in our home if she was allowed....but like I have told her...you are never going t rid the world of evil. There will always be evil in the world you can't change that, but you can do things in your life that help, even if it is a small difference it is still a difference. We serve food at the men's shelter on Sundays, we help clean the parks and community-even when we take our evening walks, we volunteer at the pound and humane society, we take Millie our dog to do therapy work at hospital and schools, we donate to things that mean something to us...we also pay close attention to politics because that makes the biggest difference in our country and around the world. We don't fall for the emotional games they play in speeches and campaigns, we look at what they vote for and what their policies do to people we care about....you don't have to be labeled as something to make a difference....you don't have to be shoving your ideas and opinions off on others to be successful....just work to make small changes and those small changes you make will bring much joy and fulfillment to your personal life. Good luck finding your path....one bit of advice....don't try to use emotions with a group that uses logic...logic outweighs emotion every time....except with emotional people. Don't attack, that turns people off and makes the attacker look that much more emotional and oblivious. Understand that many people enjoy a balanced diet, some don't have the ability to have a store two mins always and can't grow gardens. Some just love wild game, does not have the chemicals and other government injected stuff and is much healthier. That is one reason we shop at the local farms, farmer markets and dairy. Be happy you live in a country you have the FREEDOM to find your own path, to voice your opinions on a forum and not be jailed or put to death. Be happy you have the choice to eat whatever diet you choose. Happy you have the right to own a pet. Be happy you have those freedoms and choices....and ALLOW other the same freedoms without judgement or condemnation from people who don't believe exactly as you think they should. That is the great thing about freedom, choice...choice that someone else may not make...choice that others are not allowed. If you don't want others making choices for you....don't try to push your ideas and opinions on others. When you wake up and see you can respect others and still be happy with your path, that is when you have learned respect for others and when you will be the happiest. Don't worry about others actions. Choose your path, make good choices to get where you want to be, don't judge others and you will be happy....I know from learning the same lessons.
Good luck in your journey.....

** quote removed since it has been deleted**

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#140 ·
From what I've heard from a friend who's working in Shanghai, you can't find dog on the menu unless you go to rural villages. He told me that this is because of political pressure (and also tourism). You can change things, Lobobear, but you need to be careful if you want to make a great change - people need to be able to take you seriously because if they think you're a nutcase then they'll be more comfortable just ignoring you, which will actually harm your cause.

#143 ·
Lobo, are you going to answer my last question?

I have a question Lobobear, and honestly am asking this out of curiosity.

Tell me, write down, exactly everything you "ate" yesterday. Everything.

#150 ·
Personally I think the whole "hunting to prevent overpopulation" thing is bs. The only reason this is "needed" is because we've deforested the land and driven out/hunted the deers' natural predators, so it's very much a man-made problem and we've devised a very typical man-made solution in my opinion.

And also, it takes way more water and land to raise beef than it does to just raise the crops, rather than raising the crops to feed the animal (which turns into meat inefficiently, with loads of waste). So yes it's cheaper, more efficient, and far less polluting to raise crops than meat. And it's completely possible to get the necessary nutrients from a vegan diet; plenty of people who aren't eating the right balance, meat or no meat! I probably eat too many carbs personally lmao.

With all that being said though, most important to me is that people respect other people's choices. I think everyone should be educated about the impact of their choices, and should feel responsible for their own impact on the world, but in the end, not my biz to tell anyone what to do.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.