The doodles n things - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2014, 04:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

I've said it before and I'll rhapsodize again: I have a labradoodle pulled @ 14 mo (he's now 5.5yrs) by a rescue and he is the most neurotic, destructive, anxious mess I've ever worked with. He has such severe separation anxiety that he cannot possibly live in a 'normal' home. That's why I still have him. He has gotten MUCH better in the last few years, but he is still a mess. When he first came home he was one bad experience away from becoming a frantic fear-biter. He's disastrously intelligent and exceptionally focused, and that is a lethal combination. He has figured out almost every type of restraint, door handle, drawer, switch, clasp, knot, and fence mechanism I've ever put him in front of.

Standard poodles are awesome, and I hope to branch out to them in the future. Well-bred dogs are stable, affable, and athletic. I don't particularly care for Trashcans With Legs- er, I mean labs... but I'm sure they can be great dogs too. Mix them and there is just too much variety in what you get. Everything from coat type to color to temperament and everything in between. I will NEVER recommend a 'labradoodle' or a 'goldendoodle' and I am the first to point to the mess on the end of my leash in hopes of discouraging folks.

Last edited by marbury; 01-31-2014 at 04:20 PM.
marbury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2014, 04:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieC View Post
My brother has a Goldendoodle. Cost a small fortune but no shedding, no allergy concerns for his kids and one of the calmest, sweetest dogs I have ever been around.
I may be wrong since i don't have dog allergies, but isn't it the saliva that causes allergies, not always the fur/coat?
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2014, 04:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
I may be wrong since i don't have dog allergies, but isn't it the saliva that causes allergies, not always the fur/coat?
Not according to his children (or one of my sons for that matter).
Old 01-31-2014, 04:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieC View Post
Not according to his children (or one of my sons for that matter).
Causes of Dog Allergies

You may have heard that some dog breeds trigger allergy symptoms while others don't, or that short-haired dogs are safe while long-haired dogs prone to shedding are not. But on the whole, experts say that isn't the case. In fact, one dog and another of the same breed can give off very different levels of allergen.
It's not the dog's hair or fur that's the real problem. Instead, people are usually allergic to the dander -- flakes of dead skin -- as well as the saliva and urine. So no matter how long or short the hair, any dog can potentially cause an allergic reaction.

Dog Allergies: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments
Old 01-31-2014, 04:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveEcho View Post
Thing is, it's a total crapshoot whether or not they'll shed a lot or a little. It's one of the big "selling points" but it's not a given.

I have met a few doodles that grew on me, but I will never get on board with the practice of breeding mutts and charging big bucks for it.
Could very well be the case. Not a breed for me either but just stating that is how his dog is. Amazing temperament.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

**comments removed by ADMIN. Deleted quote and response to that quote**

Overview

According to estimation, about 10% of the population suffers from a pet allergy, with dog allergies being the second most common. It is still believed that many breeds of dogs, especially those with short hair or those who do not shed hairs, are suitable for people susceptible to dog allergies, but this is not applicable to all the cases. It has been researched that the dog's fur is not essentially responsible for the allergic reaction. Rather, a protein found in the dog's dander, saliva and urine leads to dog allergies.

Dog Allergies, Causes, Tests, Diagnosis & Treatment
Old 01-31-2014, 05:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

So what about GSD x Mal x Dutchie crosses and various working terrier crosses.
Not as designer dogs but for working qualities?

I would not have an issue with new "breeds" of dogs because the ones we have are mostly from the turn of the last century anyway. I would want to see folks have a large enough founding population to avoid genetic bottlenecks etc.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2014, 05:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post

I would not have an issue with new "breeds" of dogs because the ones we have are mostly from the turn of the last century anyway. I would want to see folks have a large enough founding population to avoid genetic bottlenecks etc.
I really like what try have been doing with mal x GSD crosses. I think the "new breed creation" CAN be done, there just needs to be a great deal of research and care taken, with a specific purpose in mind. That is what the "doodle" started out as. I think that's what separates those endeavors from the "designer breed" fad.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by LoveEcho; 01-31-2014 at 05:55 PM.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2014, 05:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post

I think the initial thought into creating a "some-kind-of-doodle" was well intentioned. However, the BYBs and money hungry morons just went willy-nilly and bred dog to bitch and decided to make money. I have no problem with new breeds once they are established and have a "known" result. Unfortunately...I don't think we are seeing this with the "----doodle" or "malt-----" or whatever else they are naming this ridiculous frankenstein experiments.
Sabo's Blog (I'm nuts)
erfunhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2014, 05:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Don't get me started on "designer" dogs and the current "doodle" craze. Groomers dread and detest 'doodles, as they tend to have the worst of both breeds instead of the best. Because 'doodle breeders market their "hypoallergenic, non-shedding" pups for up to $2500 each, they are selecting for the most novice, naive type of owners--many 'doodles are bought by clueless first-time dog owners, which only makes the problems worse.

On the upside, I've never met a mean 'doodle. But why would anyone pay that much money for a mutt?

Like I said, don't get me started.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.