German Shepherds Forum banner

Vet's UTI/Checkup

823 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Lilie 
#1 ·
I'm wondering about the practices and charges i just incurred from my vet.

Dutch was showing signs of a UTI yesterday so i called the vet and asked if i could bring in a urine sample or if i had to bring him it. They told me i had to bring him in.

Keeping in mind i just had a full checkup and 2nd round of vac 7 days ago. Dutch does have a UTI. I was charged ~$50 for the urinalysis/sediment, ~$60 for the antibiotics and ~$50 for a 20 second checkup/examination (basically teeth and eyes).

My question is about the checkup/charge. Is this normal? I honestly don't know so i am looking for feedback from y'all.

#3 ·
Why would they have checked that at his regular appt a week ago when he only started showing signs yesterday?

Yes, those charges sound right. I've paid much more for antibiotics. You had an appt, where they did a UA and gave you antibiotics. You were charged accordingly.

It's not uncommon for puppies to get UTI's. You could get some D-mannose to put give to him daily.

#7 ·
I have a regular vet I've used for 10 years. Now she either would charge me a limited exam or trust me to just bring in a sample. But that is because I have established a long time relationship with her and the clinic. When I first started going there I'm sure I would have been charged for the exam.

#10 ·
I think there is a basic 'office exam' that is charged by most vets for each office visit. Unless the animal is being seen as a follow up for previous treatment. I wouldn't be concerned if I saw that on my bill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.