German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Adding a Corgi? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/404266-adding-corgi.html)

SpookyShepherd 01-30-2014 03:43 PM

Adding a Corgi?

So I'm thinking that Dog #3 shall be a corgi, but I'm not having much luck finding a similarly knowledgeable group of people from whom to ask questions. Does anyone know good breeders for working type Corgis or a good forum to meet people? Thanks much!
Oh, and here's my boy doing his best corgi impression:
https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...30228032_n.jpg

holland 01-30-2014 03:49 PM

If you find one can you post the website-not that I am ready for another dog-but am interested in either a corgi or a jack Russell-I think

dogfaeries 01-30-2014 03:54 PM

All the shepherd people around here have corgis. It seems to be a very popular combination.

misfits 01-30-2014 04:46 PM

Just k9s in santa rosa, ca breeds shepherds and corgis.

MiaMoo 01-30-2014 04:47 PM

I've seen several people on this board that have corgis, so hopefully someone can chime in with more helpful information.

I just have always been so fond of german shepherd / corgi pairings. I know nothing about the breed, I just think they look so good next to eachother - they look like tiny, stumpy gsds. :o

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

dogfaeries 01-30-2014 04:49 PM

The only corgis I'm around are Pems and they are all seriously bratty. Cute, but oh so bratty. I've only been around one Cardigan, and he is a very cool dog.

DaniFani 01-30-2014 06:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My little guy (Cardigan) is from Sunspark Cardigan Welsh Corgis. Renay is amazing, they show and work their pups. Cardigans are harder to find (just not as popular as the pembroke). My guy Radar is awesome! He has nerves of steel, amazing with kids and families, other pets, other dogs, solidly built, spunky personality, I haven't met a person or animal he doesn't win over. When I brought him out to SchH to meet everyone for fun (and for some help getting a reliable down), my TD couldn't believe how tough he was (someone working rotties, GSDs, etc lol!). They are hands down, one of the most fun little breeds, and the only "small" dog I would have. Don't let "small" fool you, he rules the roost whenever we play with other dogs, he's faster, trickier, and smarter than all the others lol.

And of course some pics!

ETA: Renay's website isn't really up to date (she isn't huge on websites lol), but her contact info is there. She's really involved in the Corgi world, so if she doesn't have a litter on the ground or one coming I know she could help point you in the right direction. Diane, it's funny you say that...I feel the same way about Pems. I've only met females though, so not sure if it's a female vs male thing, or cardi vs pem thing. I've only met one other male cardi and he was just as fun loving as my guy. Radar will be 2 in a month, his personality (fun loving, energetic, spunky) hasn't changed with maturity. He's healthy as a horse, and his bark is deep and scary on the other side of a door, wouldn't guess he's tiny at all! ;-)

NormanF 01-30-2014 07:07 PM

Some Corgis can easily be mistaken for GSDs!

Which is why some folks want to get that rise from people out of a small dog! :D

dogfaeries 01-30-2014 07:11 PM

I know male and female Pems, and they all seem to be that way! I know one male Pem though that is a doll, well mannered, a good boy. He's also had a massive amount of training (multiple Best in Show winner, Best Opposite at Westminster last year). I like him. A lot.

The Cardigan that I know is also a show dog (GCh, went Best Opposite at the 21012 Eukanuba). I know he has a Rally Novice title. He is SO much fun. And just so darn happy.

dogfaeries 01-30-2014 07:14 PM

Your guy Radar is darling. You need to post more puppy photos!