German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Vet Perspective - Toxic Plants (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/402538-vet-perspective-toxic-plants.html)

Stevenzachsmom 01-27-2014 09:29 AM

Vet Perspective - Toxic Plants
 
This article was in my gardening newsletter today. People tend to freak over these "toxic" common plants. The article was written by a veterinarian. He explains that these plants are not as toxic as some seem to think and what can be expected if our pets eat them. Worth a look.

Toxic Plants of the Winter Holidays, from a Veterinary Perspective

huntergreen 01-27-2014 09:41 AM

i see no reason to have things/plants around that can cause any problem, but that is just me.

igottabecrazy 01-27-2014 09:45 AM

I bought 3 Poinsettias from my son's club fundraiser and kept them up on a plant shelf away from the cats. I guess next year I will still put them up, but won't freak out so much about a dead leaf falling to the floor below. Thanks.

Daisy&Lucky's Mom 01-27-2014 09:52 AM

Thanks. I haven't had a live Poinsetta in years b/c of worrying re dogs eating it. This year had one but pu tit in our DR as the dogs are never there. The article may let me have ponsettias in the living room . Still dogs only there when supervised. Not sure if I had young dogs if Id have them. Thanks for sharing.

Stevenzachsmom 01-27-2014 09:54 AM

huntergreen, I am not a huge fan of house plants. I don't especially enjoy taking care of them. On the other hand, I have an extensive garden. I have some seriously toxic plants out there - Mountain laurel AKA sheep kill and several types of milk weed. I have never had a problem keeping my pets away from the plants. That aside, the point of this article is that the particular plants mentioned are not that dangerous, so why not enjoy them during the holidays - at least those with the least amount of toxins?

Stevenzachsmom 01-27-2014 10:24 AM

Here is another article by the same vet, on chocolate, onions, garlic, raisins and Macadamia nuts. I know there will be some argument on garlic. I just appreciate the explanations he gives.

Plant-related food toxins of the Holidays and your pets

shepherdmom 01-27-2014 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom (Post 4913930)
Here is another article by the same vet, on chocolate, onions, garlic, raisins and Macadamia nuts. I know there will be some argument on garlic. I just appreciate the explanations he gives.

Plant-related food toxins of the Holidays and your pets

Thank you for posting these links. Very interesting reading. :)

Lilie 01-27-2014 10:47 AM

Very interesting read!

Daisy&Lucky's Mom 01-27-2014 11:20 AM

Thanks for sharing. The grapesI knew about but not the Macadamia Nuts.

KathrynApril 01-27-2014 11:20 AM

As a kid the family dog ate one of those chocolate chocolate chip cakes from KFC. She ate the whole cake. She clearly didn't feel well but at the time I don't think my parents knew it was toxic. She was fine the next day luckily.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2