German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Suggestions Needed.... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/402018-suggestions-needed.html)

Okie2 01-26-2014 10:13 AM

Suggestions Needed....

As part of the Therapy Dog program, a local Elementary School has a "Read" program, and Maggie and I have been invited to participate.

My thought is to show a short "Power Point" presentation regarding the German Shepherd. I would use just a brief history of the GSD to include pictures of GS's at work...asking a few simple questions of the children if they know where they are use to serve society. Of course the presentation would include a very brief discussion as to the origin of the GSD and the dog that is consider responsible for their popularity.....Rin Tin Tin.

I would appreciate thoughts and suggestions to help me make this idea work.:help:

Much thanks,:)

llombardo 01-26-2014 10:36 AM

The read programs by me just require the dogs to be present when it's reading time. I would keep it short and point out the best traits of the breed. Depending on the age group, they will probably just bd thinking they are police dogs.

doggiedad 01-26-2014 10:46 AM

i like your ideas. give a demonstration of your dog
following your commands.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okie2 (Post 4907098)
As part of the Therapy Dog program, a local Elementary School has a "Read" program, and Maggie and I have been invited to participate.

My thought is to show a short "Power Point" presentation regarding the German Shepherd. I would use just a brief history of the GSD to include pictures of GS's at work...asking a few simple questions of the children if they know where they are use to serve society. Of course the presentation would include a very brief discussion as to the origin of the GSD and the dog that is consider responsible for their popularity.....Rin Tin Tin.

I would appreciate thoughts and suggestions to help me make this idea work.:help:

Much thanks,:)

Blanketback 01-26-2014 10:55 AM

That's wonderful! :) What a great project!

Don't forget Strongheart, the original movie star:

Strongheart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or Buddy, a very famous guide dog:

Morris Frank - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

doggiedad 01-26-2014 11:01 AM

was Buddy the first guide dog?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blanketback (Post 4907274)
That's wonderful! :) What a great project!

Don't forget Strongheart, the original movie star:

Strongheart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or Buddy, a very famous guide dog:

Morris Frank - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blanketback 01-26-2014 11:13 AM

Not in the whole world, but here in the USA. Link, huh. :)

Gretchen 01-26-2014 11:16 AM

Maybe I have ADD, but if I were a kid, I'd be bored with a powerpoint. I'd want to touch your dog and see what tricks and commands she knows. For me a one sentence that GSDs came from Germany 100 yrs ago would work.

Being that your dog's name is Maggie, it reminded me of a book I just finished, Suspect by Robert Crais. The main character is a LAPD cop with PTSD and a GSD named Maggie that has PTSD from fighting in afghanistan, she could detect bombs. Rather than focus on history, make a simple presentation of how these dogs are used , make it relevant to today. How these dogs are used to help police and military, the blind as seeing eye dogs, search and rescue,etc.

erfunhouse 01-26-2014 11:24 AM

And for the kids that might be afraid, I'd stay away from the IPO bite photos.

I think this is a great project! From experience though (doing career days) only pictures in the part point, and find a GSD relayed reading book

Metro 10/2005-5/2013
Sabo 3/2013-now
Kia 1/2014- now

Okie2 01-26-2014 12:50 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions......To answer some: Yes, Maggie will be present and yes I will show the kids how she works with "hand signals only". I do want to keep the presentation very short, as I assume the attention span may be short, and mostly they the kids will be more interested in Maggie, than this old guy.....:) I agree there is no need to show the children the IPO dog work. All pictures will be positive in nature and such as a Police Officer and his K9 buddy, Military Police Dogs at work, and Search and Rescue Dogs. The recommendation on Seeing Eye Dogs, and Buddy is a great idea.
Any other idea will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all...........:)

Blanketback 01-26-2014 12:54 PM

Yeah, some things you'd definitely want to stay away from. I was going to add links to the GSDs who've mourned their masters' passing, and sat at their graves - then I thought WTF, lol. What a depressing subject, poor kids!