Exercise no matter what - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2014, 08:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Exercise no matter what

So I've been seeing people post how they being their dog for a walk or run no matter what the weather is everyday. I want to know how true that it is. Because I know some places have pretty bad weather such as snow storms where its almost impossible to see a few feet in front of you, or where the roads and sidewalks are so icy each step you take your fighting a fall lol. Some places it rains really bad. And some places get up to 120 degrees farenheit. (Just threw that # out there, it maybe more or less) But my question to the people that say theu bring their dogs walking no matter what the weather is. Are you talking about this type of weather as well. And do you faithfully bring your dog out for walks 7 days a week 365? Without missing a single day? Also how long are these walks/jogs/runs?
Airman1stclass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2014, 08:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Yes my dog gets walked at least twice a day 7 days a week 365 days a year. And we generally include some other form of exercise as well, either practicing for Rally, tracking, or fetch in a big field. The shortest walks she gets are 30 minutes. I have taken her out in rain, winter storm advisories, sleet, ice, you name it. I will definitely cut walks short if the heat is bad because heat tolerance can be an issue with this breed. Then again, I also follow the philosophy of life that there is no such thing as bad weather, only improper gear. The only time I skipped walking her and bribed my partner into doing it was when I was literally too sick to get out the door without shaking.

Honestly human beings need to be exercising this much at minimum anyway, so why not bring your dog with? If you can't walk for an hour or two every day without discomfort, that's not a good sign (barring specific medical conditions).

Long jogs I used to do with her more often, but the pavement makes both of our joints hurt so I stopped doing it. Now I do skiing/snowshoeing with her because it is much lower impact.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

If the weather is atrocious--high winds and falling branches--we will do nosework and obedience in our home but as a general rule it's an hour a day--every day. I did have a bad foot over the summer but I'd limp over to the schoolyard and do some hides and games. If it had gone on much longer I would have hired a dog walker..
blehmannwa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 08:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

not true. unless you are jobless or a stay at home mom, life gets in the way. most people work 8 hours. some days there are errands to do. other days there are obligations like birthday dinners or nephews bball game, etc. other times you are just injured or too sick to go anywhere.

my 9 month old working line does just fine without exercise on certain days. in the summer i exercise him every day. sometimes i'm out with friends all day and walk him at midnight. in the winter i can go a couple of days without exercise and he's fine. iit's not really about exercise but about keeping your dog's mind stimulated. there are better ways to play with your dog then to walk/run it in severe weather.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 08:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

I must say I was skeptical about people bringing their dog walking every single day. But if you say you do then I guess it can be done. I just figured weather and just things coming up sometimes could get in the way of walks.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimeju View Post
Yes my dog gets walked at least twice a day 7 days a week 365 days a year. And we generally include some other form of exercise as well, either practicing for Rally, tracking, or fetch in a big field. The shortest walks she gets are 30 minutes. I have taken her out in rain, winter storm advisories, sleet, ice, you name it. I will definitely cut walks short if the heat is bad because heat tolerance can be an issue with this breed. Then again, I also follow the philosophy of life that there is no such thing as bad weather, only improper gear. The only time I skipped walking her and bribed my partner into doing it was when I was literally too sick to get out the door without shaking.

Honestly human beings need to be exercising this much at minimum anyway, so why not bring your dog with? If you can't walk for an hour or two every day without discomfort, that's not a good sign (barring specific medical conditions).

Long jogs I used to do with her more often, but the pavement makes both of our joints hurt so I stopped doing it. Now I do skiing/snowshoeing with her because it is much lower impact.

I burn most of my calories shopping for me lol, but i agree 2 times a day 7 days a week 365 days a year mine love to jog!
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 08:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer11 View Post
not true. unless you are jobless or a stay at home mom, life gets in the way. most people work 8 hours. some days there are errands to do. other days there are obligations like birthday dinners or nephews bball game, etc. other times you are just injured or too sick to go anywhere.

my 9 month old working line does just fine without exercise on certain days. in the summer i exercise him every day. sometimes i'm out with friends all day and walk him at midnight. in the winter i can go a couple of days without exercise and he's fine. iit's not really about exercise but about keeping your dog's mind stimulated. there are better ways to play with your dog then to walk/run it in severe weather.
I was over here thinking I would make a terrible owner if I didn't walk my dog every single day. Im sire that would be great for the dog, but sometimes its just impossible. Of course I know better than to let it go on for more than a couple days.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Yes, I one who lives in an area that gets several feet of snow and extreme winter weather. Another challenge for winter exercise is the short days and loooooong nights in this lattitude. I never considered ice or snow or cold or rain to be an excuse for not going out and doing something.

My dogs get a lot of off leash exercise since I live in a more remote, rural area. But if too icy or cold for walks, we can go out and play fetch with a glow-in-the-dark ball or frisbee, or go snowshoing, or cross-country skiing. I've been out near midnight skiing through open fields on a full-moon with the dogs running their hearts out. Rain is only water - it won't hurt anything. And since our winters are so harsh, me and some of my GSD/IPO friends get together on a regular basis and rent a dog-training facility for a few hours on weekends for some indoor training.

I've gone out to empty parking lots that are lit up, climbed up to the top of the huge snow-removal snow piles, and threw snow chunks of alternate sides for my dogs to chase and try (!) to fetch back (I know, I'm mean, they disappear in the snow, or break apart).

Point is, it isn't hard with a little imagination to find ways to go out and have fun with your dog and get some exercise in at the same time, no matter what.

Edited to add: About the only times the don't get at least an hour a day or more of exercise is if I'm sick - both are wonderful and can handle the occasional down time, but being a dog owner is meeting your dogs' needs, and daily exercise is one of those needs.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 09:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman1stclass View Post
I was over here thinking I would make a terrible owner if I didn't walk my dog every single day. Im sire that would be great for the dog, but sometimes its just impossible. Of course I know better than to let it go on for more than a couple days.
i dont think the dog NEEDS exercise every day. its more the owner chooses to exercise them every day.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 09:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

So since we are on the topic of walking and running with our dogs, at what age should walking with your dog turn into jogging and running. I've read this book I bought from petsmart and it said you shouldn't start running with your dog until its 18 months old. That seems kinda of extreme to wait that long, but it was written by a professional trainer ( im assuming). Its basically a book on GSD. Written by cindy victor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.