German Shepherds Forum banner

Exercise no matter what

7K views 63 replies 44 participants last post by  Shaolin 
#1 ·
So I've been seeing people post how they being their dog for a walk or run no matter what the weather is everyday. I want to know how true that it is. Because I know some places have pretty bad weather such as snow storms where its almost impossible to see a few feet in front of you, or where the roads and sidewalks are so icy each step you take your fighting a fall lol. Some places it rains really bad. And some places get up to 120 degrees farenheit. (Just threw that # out there, it maybe more or less) But my question to the people that say theu bring their dogs walking no matter what the weather is. Are you talking about this type of weather as well. And do you faithfully bring your dog out for walks 7 days a week 365? Without missing a single day? Also how long are these walks/jogs/runs?

#2 ·
Yes my dog gets walked at least twice a day 7 days a week 365 days a year. And we generally include some other form of exercise as well, either practicing for Rally, tracking, or fetch in a big field. The shortest walks she gets are 30 minutes. I have taken her out in rain, winter storm advisories, sleet, ice, you name it. I will definitely cut walks short if the heat is bad because heat tolerance can be an issue with this breed. Then again, I also follow the philosophy of life that there is no such thing as bad weather, only improper gear. :D The only time I skipped walking her and bribed my partner into doing it was when I was literally too sick to get out the door without shaking.

Honestly human beings need to be exercising this much at minimum anyway, so why not bring your dog with? If you can't walk for an hour or two every day without discomfort, that's not a good sign (barring specific medical conditions).

Long jogs I used to do with her more often, but the pavement makes both of our joints hurt so I stopped doing it. Now I do skiing/snowshoeing with her because it is much lower impact.

#3 ·
If the weather is atrocious--high winds and falling branches--we will do nosework and obedience in our home but as a general rule it's an hour a day--every day. I did have a bad foot over the summer but I'd limp over to the schoolyard and do some hides and games. If it had gone on much longer I would have hired a dog walker..

#4 ·
not true. unless you are jobless or a stay at home mom, life gets in the way. most people work 8 hours. some days there are errands to do. other days there are obligations like birthday dinners or nephews bball game, etc. other times you are just injured or too sick to go anywhere.

my 9 month old working line does just fine without exercise on certain days. in the summer i exercise him every day. sometimes i'm out with friends all day and walk him at midnight. in the winter i can go a couple of days without exercise and he's fine. iit's not really about exercise but about keeping your dog's mind stimulated. there are better ways to play with your dog then to walk/run it in severe weather.

#8 ·
Yes, I one who lives in an area that gets several feet of snow and extreme winter weather. Another challenge for winter exercise is the short days and loooooong nights in this lattitude. I never considered ice or snow or cold or rain to be an excuse for not going out and doing something.

My dogs get a lot of off leash exercise since I live in a more remote, rural area. But if too icy or cold for walks, we can go out and play fetch with a glow-in-the-dark ball or frisbee, or go snowshoing, or cross-country skiing. I've been out near midnight skiing through open fields on a full-moon with the dogs running their hearts out. Rain is only water - it won't hurt anything. And since our winters are so harsh, me and some of my GSD/IPO friends get together on a regular basis and rent a dog-training facility for a few hours on weekends for some indoor training.

I've gone out to empty parking lots that are lit up, climbed up to the top of the huge snow-removal snow piles, and threw snow chunks of alternate sides for my dogs to chase and try (!) to fetch back (I know, I'm mean, they disappear in the snow, or break apart).

Point is, it isn't hard with a little imagination to find ways to go out and have fun with your dog and get some exercise in at the same time, no matter what.

Edited to add: About the only times the don't get at least an hour a day or more of exercise is if I'm sick - both are wonderful and can handle the occasional down time, but being a dog owner is meeting your dogs' needs, and daily exercise is one of those needs.

#10 ·
So since we are on the topic of walking and running with our dogs, at what age should walking with your dog turn into jogging and running. I've read this book I bought from petsmart and it said you shouldn't start running with your dog until its 18 months old. That seems kinda of extreme to wait that long, but it was written by a professional trainer ( im assuming). Its basically a book on GSD. Written by cindy victor

#12 ·
Can o'worms here.

I'll just say common sense it. Don't take your 4 month old pup for a half marathon on pavement. Also, don't prevent same pup from getting enough running in to build those muscles up. Varied terrain, softish(think woods trails and grassy fields) would be the optimal surface for exercise until those growth plates decide to firm up.

I destroyed my knees in middle school and high school playing soccer and cross-country, I'm probably a bit over-protective for that reason. I let my little one run and play to her hearts content in their fenced in area and walk her in public(Petsmart, downtown etc) maybe two miles a few times a month. The dogs self regulate exercise in the yard. I limit it a bit when the temps are below 0, I figure blood flow is compromised some at those temps.

#11 ·
Unfortunately, my dog is not bothered by the weather (except heat) and insists on getting out.:laugh: I have always exercised my dogs no matter what but for some reason this little GSD of mine requires a tad bit more. She was in training for a bit and the trainer believed in keeping her crated for the 2 months except for training (15 minutes a day-maybe) and 3 short walks to go potty. She survived that but it was a night and day difference when i got her out of there and we added exercise to the mix. An unbelievable difference!! Not only did it help her body but it helped her mind and it is much easier to train her when her mind is calmer. Mine too!

Today, we were at a friends and they just purchased some high tech exercise equipment. It was pretty cool and she wanted me to come work-out with her during the week. I told my husband there is no way I can or want to do that kind of workout and then exercise the dog! :wild:

My belief is that dogs are meant to be dogs, she needs time to run and play and discover things. Luckily, i have the time and energy to allow her.

#13 ·
We really don't have extreme weather. Most winters in CA it rains a lot (except this year) and have bad storms coming from the ocean. We go out, the park is then empty and we can play off leash, soaking wet. We go out 2-3x a day.

We do wonder what other people do though. When my daughter and I walk Molly at night we hardly see any dogs, unlike the summer. My dog cannot take the heat and avoid going out when hot.

#14 ·
We go at least once a day. Sometimes we have to wait until the streets are plowed, and gorget about clear sidewalks. Most in my neighborhood are too old to shovel, or just don't do it.

Regardless though, there is always fetch in my large back yard.

#15 ·
I won't walk them if it's above 90, plain and simple. The Burning got ground will burn their feet. I will try to get to a hike if it's too hot for the ground. if I simply can't get outside because it's 115 and I'm working several nights in a row, then I bring out the garden hose and run em in the backyard

Metro 10/2005-5/2013
Sabo 3/2013-now
Kia 1/2014- now

#16 ·
i don't walk my dog everyday. if i'm not walking him we'll
play in the house. i'll walk him in a summer rain. if it's snowing
i'll walk him depending on how bad it's snowing. i keep towels
beside the front door and the back door so i can dry him off.
there's 1,700 acres of woods 5 minutes from my house so
we're in the woods a lot.

i think it depends on the dog and how much exercise they need.
my dog is very calm no matter how much exercise he gets.

#17 ·
Nope. We don't even have sidewalks where I live and the streets are treated with salt and it burns their paws. They run and play in the yard , go to classes, and run errands with me and they are fine. Mine actually do better with mental exercise. Weather permitting, I rotate them for walks. This year each dog will get a couple mile walk once a week....I have 5 dogs.

#18 ·
My dogs have 24-7 access to an outside pen that is bigger than many peoples back yards. I have 5 acres with about 2 1/2 of it fenced. At least twice a day no matter what the weather (we live in high desert so hot in summer and cold in winter) we go outside into the 2 1/2 acres and we walk around the yard. I throw a kong, stick or kick a basketball. They place chase and get to be dogs. Now I've got one that simply refuses to go out for that exercise when there is snow on the ground. I don't force him. If he wants to lay by the fire that is fine with me. He has his pen to go outside when he needs to.
Another one loves the snow but hates the heat and he doesn't want to be outside in the heat for very long so he goes and stands by the door. I let him in. It's up to the dogs I don't force them into it but if they want playtime I'm going to make sure they get it. Tired happy dogs means I have time to get my stuff done. :)

#19 ·
With the puppy, currently do 2 (3 during the summer when she was younger) walks/other activities each day, every day. For icy trails I use microspikes (one of the best inventions!) and if it is too snowy I snowshoe. We probably spend 1.5-2 hours doing outdoor activities each day and then we do indoor training (find it games, ob) as well. When leyna and Levi were older, I got lazy and only did about an hour a day. The puppy does not believe in lazy humans :/

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#20 ·
Honestly, no I don't walk him everyday. We run every second day, but on our 'down' days we're still doing something. Sometimes it's a cruisey walk around the neighbourhood, sometimes its a few fetch or tug sessions throughout the day. I do throw in random patches of training everyday however does which makes a huge difference. My dog is only a show line though, so wouldn't necessarily recommend the same routine for everyone else. If I want to walk or run he's always game, but he's ok just blobbing out with me too. He relaxes at my feet while I'm on the computer, lies down in the kitchen while I cook etc.

If your dog is getting himself into trouble, being obnoxious, barking, digging, annoying the cat or generally just trying to find ways to entertain himself, it's probably time to up the activity.

#22 ·
I don't walk Varick every day. If it's raining, no walk. If it's too cold (20 and below), no walk. If it's too hot (95 and up), no walk. When I don't take him for walks, I work him in my backyard.
I don't take Harley on walks anymore, due to his fear of people. Though I work him in the yard just about every day. That's all he needs, and he is perfectly happy with it.

#24 ·
Yes I walk mine everyday, rain or shine, including sandstorms... One main reason is because we live in an apartment and he's been trained to eliminate only outdoors.

During summer when pavement gets too hot, i either put his shoes or "paw guard" on for him...

But if the weather is really too bad then we take short walks just for potty then play catching & tug-of-war in the living room... Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed

#25 ·
I take my dog outside to play every single day. Sometimes it's a walk but lately it's just some off leash time in the yard at our apartment complex. I got really lucky that today was windy, she loves to chase leaves, and so I stood there doing nothing for 30 minutes while she sprinted back and forth trying to catch them lol.

Sunny days she usually gets 2 or 3 outdoor romp sessions.

On rainy days probably 1 because I hate the mud on my floor.

Bitter cold days, we just play outside too.

#26 ·
I walk my dog at least 3 miles every single day and usually 4 to 5 miles every day. I also work a very demanding job (usually 50 -60 hours/wk). When he was younger I had to exercise him even more and also worked on training every day.

#27 ·
I walk Jake every day. In the summer,spring and fall we walk for an hour off leash in the Farmer's Fields that surround our House/Subdivision.

Once the snow gets too high we walk around the block/sub-division. The duration of the walk depends on how extreme the weather is. If it's a zero visibility blizzard, we don't leave the back yard. On a nice day we'll walk 40 to 45 minutes. If it's extremely cold (-20 C) (low teens F) we adjust the duration. He lets me know if he wants to head home. Every few weeks I'll park the Truck Downtown Moncton (Pop 80,000) and we'll walk on Main Street.

Besides the walks we'll play tug of war and he also plays in the yard with our Mini Schnauzer.

I can't wait till spring so we can get back to the off leash walks!
(Pic from last summer before he dropped 20 pounds)

#28 ·
I am a stay at home mom....our do get walks in the rain...we live in South Carolina so not to much cold weather here...when it rains we do shorter walks, indoor games and they go in the car for carlines, grocery store and other errands...they seem pretty content with that....during the summer with really hot weather we stay in grassy areas, beach, lakes or mountains. We live in an area where all those things are within a couple of hours and we take full advantage in the summer. Our sidewalks and streets in our community get entirely to hot to do walks durning the day. We do early mornings and late evenings if we are at home.

#29 ·
Yep my dogs get out at least once a day no matter rain, snow, cold. They let me know if it's too cold to play but that was when it was like -35. Most of the time we get out twice a day and I really work/play with them hard (off leash because I have farmland). We also hike at area Public Natural Resource lands for variation. Somebody else said it - just dress for the weather. The worse the weather the more likely we will take a trip to the public lands because nobody is ever out there then.

#31 ·
No, I don't. If their is snow and ice on the ground, you will not find me outside in it. I hate it. I'd sooner let them run through out the house knocking stuff over and just cleaning up after them than walk/jog when its really cold.

In the warmer months we walk way more often.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.