Exercise no matter what - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2014, 10:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Unfortunately, my dog is not bothered by the weather (except heat) and insists on getting out. I have always exercised my dogs no matter what but for some reason this little GSD of mine requires a tad bit more. She was in training for a bit and the trainer believed in keeping her crated for the 2 months except for training (15 minutes a day-maybe) and 3 short walks to go potty. She survived that but it was a night and day difference when i got her out of there and we added exercise to the mix. An unbelievable difference!! Not only did it help her body but it helped her mind and it is much easier to train her when her mind is calmer. Mine too!

Today, we were at a friends and they just purchased some high tech exercise equipment. It was pretty cool and she wanted me to come work-out with her during the week. I told my husband there is no way I can or want to do that kind of workout and then exercise the dog!

My belief is that dogs are meant to be dogs, she needs time to run and play and discover things. Luckily, i have the time and energy to allow her.
nicky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2014, 10:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman1stclass View Post
So since we are on the topic of walking and running with our dogs, at what age should walking with your dog turn into jogging and running. I've read this book I bought from petsmart and it said you shouldn't start running with your dog until its 18 months old. That seems kinda of extreme to wait that long, but it was written by a professional trainer ( im assuming). Its basically a book on GSD. Written by cindy victor
Can o'worms here.

I'll just say common sense it. Don't take your 4 month old pup for a half marathon on pavement. Also, don't prevent same pup from getting enough running in to build those muscles up. Varied terrain, softish(think woods trails and grassy fields) would be the optimal surface for exercise until those growth plates decide to firm up.

I destroyed my knees in middle school and high school playing soccer and cross-country, I'm probably a bit over-protective for that reason. I let my little one run and play to her hearts content in their fenced in area and walk her in public(Petsmart, downtown etc) maybe two miles a few times a month. The dogs self regulate exercise in the yard. I limit it a bit when the temps are below 0, I figure blood flow is compromised some at those temps.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

We really don't have extreme weather. Most winters in CA it rains a lot (except this year) and have bad storms coming from the ocean. We go out, the park is then empty and we can play off leash, soaking wet. We go out 2-3x a day.

We do wonder what other people do though. When my daughter and I walk Molly at night we hardly see any dogs, unlike the summer. My dog cannot take the heat and avoid going out when hot.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 10:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

We go at least once a day. Sometimes we have to wait until the streets are plowed, and gorget about clear sidewalks. Most in my neighborhood are too old to shovel, or just don't do it.

Regardless though, there is always fetch in my large back yard.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 10:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master Member

I won't walk them if it's above 90, plain and simple. The Burning got ground will burn their feet. I will try to get to a hike if it's too hot for the ground. if I simply can't get outside because it's 115 and I'm working several nights in a row, then I bring out the garden hose and run em in the backyard

Metro 10/2005-5/2013
Sabo 3/2013-now
Kia 1/2014- now
Sabo's Blog (I'm nuts)
erfunhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 10:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

i don't walk my dog everyday. if i'm not walking him we'll
play in the house. i'll walk him in a summer rain. if it's snowing
i'll walk him depending on how bad it's snowing. i keep towels
beside the front door and the back door so i can dry him off.
there's 1,700 acres of woods 5 minutes from my house so
we're in the woods a lot.

i think it depends on the dog and how much exercise they need.
my dog is very calm no matter how much exercise he gets.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 11:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Nope. We don't even have sidewalks where I live and the streets are treated with salt and it burns their paws. They run and play in the yard , go to classes, and run errands with me and they are fine. Mine actually do better with mental exercise. Weather permitting, I rotate them for walks. This year each dog will get a couple mile walk once a week....I have 5 dogs.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2014, 12:17 AM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman1stclass View Post
So I've been seeing people post how they being their dog for a walk or run no matter what the weather is everyday. I want to know how true that it is. Because I know some places have pretty bad weather such as snow storms where its almost impossible to see a few feet in front of you, or where the roads and sidewalks are so icy each step you take your fighting a fall lol. Some places it rains really bad. And some places get up to 120 degrees farenheit. (Just threw that # out there, it maybe more or less) But my question to the people that say theu bring their dogs walking no matter what the weather is. Are you talking about this type of weather as well. And do you faithfully bring your dog out for walks 7 days a week 365? Without missing a single day? Also how long are these walks/jogs/runs?
My dogs have 24-7 access to an outside pen that is bigger than many peoples back yards. I have 5 acres with about 2 1/2 of it fenced. At least twice a day no matter what the weather (we live in high desert so hot in summer and cold in winter) we go outside into the 2 1/2 acres and we walk around the yard. I throw a kong, stick or kick a basketball. They place chase and get to be dogs. Now I've got one that simply refuses to go out for that exercise when there is snow on the ground. I don't force him. If he wants to lay by the fire that is fine with me. He has his pen to go outside when he needs to.
Another one loves the snow but hates the heat and he doesn't want to be outside in the heat for very long so he goes and stands by the door. I let him in. It's up to the dogs I don't force them into it but if they want playtime I'm going to make sure they get it. Tired happy dogs means I have time to get my stuff done.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2014, 12:26 AM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

With the puppy, currently do 2 (3 during the summer when she was younger) walks/other activities each day, every day. For icy trails I use microspikes (one of the best inventions!) and if it is too snowy I snowshoe. We probably spend 1.5-2 hours doing outdoor activities each day and then we do indoor training (find it games, ob) as well. When leyna and Levi were older, I got lazy and only did about an hour a day. The puppy does not believe in lazy humans :/

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Levi vom Grunenfeld, RIP 9/5/04 - 3/4/13
mspiker03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2014, 12:28 AM   #20 (permalink)

Honestly, no I don't walk him everyday. We run every second day, but on our 'down' days we're still doing something. Sometimes it's a cruisey walk around the neighbourhood, sometimes its a few fetch or tug sessions throughout the day. I do throw in random patches of training everyday however does which makes a huge difference. My dog is only a show line though, so wouldn't necessarily recommend the same routine for everyone else. If I want to walk or run he's always game, but he's ok just blobbing out with me too. He relaxes at my feet while I'm on the computer, lies down in the kitchen while I cook etc.

If your dog is getting himself into trouble, being obnoxious, barking, digging, annoying the cat or generally just trying to find ways to entertain himself, it's probably time to up the activity.
Vagus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.