German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Therapy dogs and RAW diet (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/401026-therapy-dogs-raw-diet.html)

Springbrz 01-24-2014 11:57 AM

Therapy dogs and RAW diet

There is currently another thread where a puppy owner has been told they can't feed RAW to a therapy dog.
We have been considering therapy dog training. Our girl is RAW fed.

The question: Those of you that have/had therapy dogs...Have you heard of this? Is RAW diet prohibited for therapy dogs?

Blanketback 01-24-2014 12:01 PM

Yes, the group I belonged to said the same thing. I don't know if they're all like that though.

Jax08 01-24-2014 12:15 PM

They came out with this a few years ago. Not sure that all therapy dog organizations follow it.

blackshep 01-24-2014 12:34 PM

Can they really tell? ;)

wolfy dog 01-24-2014 12:38 PM

They also need all the vaccinations and regular bathing. So my dogs will not be TDs.
The groups are not up to date on the latest research.

Jax08 01-24-2014 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackshep (Post 4896906)
Can they really tell? ;)

Only if you do! ;)

There was a study, down by a dog food company, that came out saying RAW fed shed more salmonella in their feces and could, therefore, make the elderly and immune suppressed sick.

You know...the dog poops, licks his butt, licks his body...the old people lick the dog...and it's all down hill from there.

Kaimeju 01-24-2014 12:41 PM

Yes, that is the requirement for the Delta Society here in WA.

As someone who is prone to bacterial infections, I think it's probably a good idea since you are often working in hospitals with immuno-compromised people. The vaccinations thing seems like overkill, since those vaccines have been proven to provide immunity a lot longer than one year.

blackshep 01-24-2014 12:44 PM

I understand that concept, however there are a lot of people who believe that kibble is sterile and it's not. How many dogs have come down ill from salmonella poisoning from kibble?

I think if you're using proper meat handling procedures, that RAW is probably safer than kibble, it's not sitting around like kibble, and people tend to be much cleaner with RAW (wash bowls more often, wash hands etc)

But that is just my opinion, and I am not a scientist. lol

Castlemaid 01-24-2014 12:45 PM

Depends of the group you are with. Here in Canada the St. John Ambulance has a therapy dog program, and they just recently changed their policy to no raw fed dogs.

Really too bad, because I was on a waiting list to get Gryffon in for evaluation, but pulled out because of the new policy. The evaluator who phoned me to let me know of the new policy also feeds raw, and will now have to pull her dogs out of the program also.

madis 01-24-2014 12:47 PM

ha! that was/is me! The one I have found the most positive feedback from has been Pet Partners. They do not allow a raw diet, their rules are to leave a 2 week gap between raw feeding and any kind of therapy visit. I talked to my vet about it and he isn't a supporter of a raw diet. Not because he said its bad for the dog, but because there have been nutritionalists who aren't linked to any corporation or group that have found it isn't that much better than a good-quality dry food.

I question everything and have a little motto "pseudoscience- not even once". Its so easy to fall into cultural fads these days that I just do my own research. I'm going to meet with some of the professors in the biology department at the university to chat about it later this week.

I don't know how they can tell if he/she is on raw.

EDIT: we have a local nursing home with very sick patients that are ALLOWING us to train in their facility, I will be abiding by the rules of no raw for their sake.