He or She? And why? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2014, 02:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default He or She? And why?

Hello all,

I'm new here and am just wondering what is everybody's preference when it comes to female or male dogs, and why?

I'm on my second female GSD and I've had a female beagle. Since I've only had females, I just stuck with it this time. (Also have 4 human daughters)

IMO females seem to be a little more nurturing and I guess motherly. My month old GSD is really sweet. She runs around the house taking inventory of everybody when we are not in the same room. Also, lays with us when we aren't feeling well.

Cuddling with my youngest.
He or She? And why?-imageuploadedbypg-free1390374079.617921.jpg

9 weeks to 16 weeks
He or She? And why?-imageuploadedbypg-free1390374278.878341.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
KorrasMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 02:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

Oops meant to say "4 month old".

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
KorrasMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 02:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have always only had GSD bitches, however I got my very first male almost 3 years ago now, and I have to say, I love having a male - he is very affectionate, constantly wants to please me and only gets involved in situations if there is a real need to.

Whereas my girls have always been much more aloof compared to him and will bark and carry on at an ant that is walking across the driveway! (joking but close to it).

Atm if I had to choose between sexes, I would probably choose a male

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 03:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

currently, I'm in a battle with my male... he's ALL puppy and doofus doesn't begin to cover it. My females have always been WAY easier and more content with being close but not on top of me all the time. I love my male but he has a lot of growing up still to do and maturing to do. He's 10 months old. I was burnt out on females because that's all I've had since our first male mix who was PTS this time last year. I wanted a male like you wouldn't believe. They're definitely slower to mature, like with humans. He's a sweetie but he overstimulates *probably more my issue than his* and lacks focus for more than a couple minutes which drives me crazy for training.

As it stands right now, if I ever manage to convince my husband for a third dog, I'll likely choose another female. They're more serious, even early on, and seem to pick things up more quickly. My stance may change as my male matures more though. There's benefits to both but right now, my mild frustration is leading me to no more males for a very long time lol.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 08:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Male, always.

My boys are all about me, they want to please me, they want to be near me, they make me laugh, they make me feel loved, I am their world. I am their favorite person/toy/place to lay. They are my shadows, where I go, they go. I like that they are larger than females, I like that they have easy going attitudes, I like that they have the "what can I do for you" mentality. I have grown up with females, lived with females, owned a female and spend a lot of time with females and I just don't care for them. I will always have multiple male dogs.

Now before everyone thinks I am a female hater, I have 4 female cats, that I love.

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZoppa View Post
currently, I'm in a battle with my male... he's ALL puppy and doofus doesn't begin to cover it. My females have always been WAY easier and more content with being close but not on top of me all the time. I love my male but he has a lot of growing up still to do and maturing to do. He's 10 months old. I was burnt out on females because that's all I've had since our first male mix who was PTS this time last year. I wanted a male like you wouldn't believe. They're definitely slower to mature, like with humans. He's a sweetie but he overstimulates *probably more my issue than his* and lacks focus for more than a couple minutes which drives me crazy for training.

As it stands right now, if I ever manage to convince my husband for a third dog, I'll likely choose another female. They're more serious, even early on, and seem to pick things up more quickly. My stance may change as my male matures more though. There's benefits to both but right now, my mild frustration is leading me to no more males for a very long time lol.
Not only the bolded part but this is also your first working line dog. They can be more intense/more annoying/more work.

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 09:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Lauren, I know which is what I wanted. I think you forget I had Zena as my first PB though lol. She was a handful. Way more than Dax. Pretty sure she had some working lineage in there. His constant whining just drives me nuts!!! I like that makes are more goofy but I prefer the more seriousness at the same time.

Btw, Draco growling at the tv cracks me up!!!
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013

Last edited by KZoppa; 01-22-2014 at 09:09 AM.
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

I've always had females. My experience with all of them is they are all more aloof. There when you need them but not as loving unless they want it. I'm ok with that, but my wife would like a more affectionate dog.

We have an 11 week old male now. He is my first male ever. Jury is still out. Our breeder told us in her experience with the males, they tend to be more people oriented. They bond better than females and want to be near you more. I'm waiting to see how he turns out.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Growing up I had males dogs, a beagle and a lab/terrier mix. Both became a little aggressive once they matured.

As an adult I've had two females. We love having them probably because I also have twin daughters, its a girls house. My poor husband was so sad to have our really macho tom cat die a couple years ago.Now my husband feels out numbered. Both females became very sweet as adults, nurturing to puppies we meet and with our cats, we like how emotional they get too.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 10:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

Males only for me! Growing up, we had a female dog and a male dog, and our female was always so... bitchy (for lack of a better term)! The male was just much more laid back about everything. Same goes for cats; I always preferred our male cat to our female cats. This gender bias has followed me to adulthood - I have a male dog and two male cats. My husband had a female cat years ago, and she was nuts. Really quirky and weird IMO. I think there's also some truth to the idea that if given the option between a male human and female human, the pet will bond more closely with the opposite sex (male pets to female humans, female pets to male humans). Obviously not the case all the time, but this has been true in my personal experience.
katro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.