Home rentals and GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2014, 10:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Home rentals and GSD

Hi was wondering if anyone here is renting or has ever rented with not 1 but 2 GSD's?

I am currently renting a home but will be moving after my husband graduates and no idea where yet. (5 to 6 month from now)

The perfect opportunity came up to get my second puppy. And I am totally in love with this fluff.

What are my chances? I will have to rent a home for at-least another year or two. But after that we plan on starting a family and would love to have the dogs raised and trained. No kids and young puppys.

I would appreciate any concerns and feedback.

We will be looking for a nice home to rent, not tiny closer or apartment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 10:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yes, we rented a home (well, duplex) with multiple dogs. The owner was hesitant at first, but I offered an additional $300 pet deposit on top of the normal deposit. We actually added two dogs (one GSD) so each time I would give them another $100 deposit and have the least ammended. They also allowed me to construct a non-permanent fence at my expense. We took it down and sold the materials when we moved.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thanks Liesje, yes additional deposit is not an issues. I also have a letter of recommendation for Zeus and his CGC. I have enough time to take the puppy to the club for training and will have a behavior letter for her as well before the move.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I was able to rent a 5 bed/2 bath ranch style home with a 70x50 backyard in a subdivision with 7 dogs. GSD, Newfie, and Pit Bull being the large/aggressive dogs on that list. Totally do-able if you find the right landlord! Mine was not a private landlord, and he was awesome. He would come by to help us out with maintenance or pick up rent just because he wanted to see the dogs. XD
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 11:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Ok this is making the decision easier, everyone so far failed at saying no! LOL

This is the fluff I want and she will be 12 weeks when we pick her up:

Old 01-20-2014, 11:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I rented for years. I had a shep x, a samoyd for a good bit of the time; then a solo dog; then added a shep; then two sheps but by then I was owning again, moved to Arkansas with two sheps and rented for a year (it wasn't easy even with reference from the vet, photos & their obedience certs unless I wanted to live in a bad neighborhood.) Then I bought a house & was much much happier.

It can be done. It helps to have an impressive job. Realtors often manage property and can be more flexible than a full-fleged property management firm.

The ease depends upon the rental market in your area.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 11:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm not sure what you're waiting for!

If you have patience, (and sometimes $$$) you will be able to find a private rental and possibly agent that will work with you.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 11:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

^ agree on the job thing and property management. Our landlord did some sort of credit check on us before we were "approved". Also, this was the only property he owned and managed. He and his wife lived in it first, then started a family and needed more room but kept it as a rental. The property was actually for sale the entire 3.5 years we lived there but with the market as bad as it was here and the duplex having a HUGE yard no landlord wants to maintain, we never had a single showing and moved out on our own terms (bought a house). As far as I know, the landlords still own it and I've helped them find new renters.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 11:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
I rented for years. I had a shep x, a samoyd for a good bit of the time; then a solo dog; then added a shep; then two sheps but by then I was owning again, moved to Arkansas with two sheps and rented for a year (it wasn't easy even with reference from the vet, photos & their obedience certs unless I wanted to live in a bad neighborhood.) Then I bought a house & was much much happier.

It can be done. It helps to have an impressive job. Realtors often manage property and can be more flexible than a full-fleged property management firm.

The ease depends upon the rental market in your area.
I was wondering if Realtor would treat us differently or property managers if I tell them my husband is a pharmacist and we are moving to a new city for his job. I also work full time, but from home i fly to the meetings when needed. (he graduates in May)
Old 01-24-2014, 09:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Just be honest and think positively. There will be a place, and you will find it by speaking openly about your needs. I just moved myself and my two surviving dogs about half a mile from some very hateful people in a certain neighborhood into a much nicer house owned by tried and true dog lovers. And it happened because when I went shopping I was totally open book about saying my dog had been targeted as aggressive, even though he never had a single bite on his record! I brought my "aggressive" dog along, and they were like "this dog, no way!". It just takes some phone calls and personal meetings and you will find the right owner who welcomes you with open arms if I can do it with an "aggressive" dog, you have no worries

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Jack - male GSD b. 8/9/10
Lillian - female Weimaraner b. ~2005
RIP Mattie - female GSD 10/18/02 - 7/24/2013
JackandMattie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.