Follow up question for cat owners - food - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2014, 08:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Follow up question for cat owners - food

Ok, I have a week to prepare. I will be bringing home 2 ragamuffin cats, both 4.5 yrs old. She said she is using some kind of crystals for the litter box. I will start with that and transition to one that was recommended in my original thread.

Now to food. I know dog food very well and it believe it is safe to assume any company that makes crap dogfood makes crap catfood. They are currently on fancy feast both dry and canned.

Should they be transitioned slowly as we do with dogs? Assume so? What foods produce less stool and smell? I read some people think cats should not eat dry food????

What else do I need to know regarding food? I appreciate everyone's help on this! I have many years experience with dogs and zero with cats!
GSDAlphaMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2014, 08:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Cats are obligate carnivores and dry really has too much carbs for them (they don't process it well and many cats also become obese on dry). A good quality canned food with the lowest number of carbs would be a good start. Evo has some canned that is 95 percent meat. I try to buy large cans at online stores to be more economical and yet feed a decent quality. Wellness has a couple of their regular foods that is grain free (chicken ... and ... turkey?) They have a yellow triangle on the label saying grain free. I also buy the large cans of Innova Cat & Kitten (ALS) and California Natural. I then supplement with some 6 oz cans that are flaked because my kitty likes texture. So I do her food as half good quality canned and half flaked per day.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Are Ragamuffins like Ragdoll? We have one...she's strictly indoor. We have two others that are in/out.

We only feed dry kibble cat food mainly for dental health. They should be transitioned slowly or you may have diarrhea issues. We use a mixture of Meow mix indoor and meow mix outdoor. Our outside cats eat shrew, mice, baby bunnies, bugs, birds (unfortunately). I think cats are easier feeders honestly. We mainly feed the mix because 2 of our 3 are long hairs and can get hairballs. The Meow Mix also has an ingredient to help with hairballs. I also have wheatgrass planted for the indoor cat to chew on as she likes.

I have had cats live well past aged 20 too, so cats are even more of a long-time commitment than dogs.
Odin (GSD 8/28/13)
Cosmo-space cat
Chess-fuzzy cat
Valentine-our ragdoll cat
Two great skin kids
3dognite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 08:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

We use blue buffalo wilderness, but we are switching to either taste of the wild or from. My cat is an indoor only cat due to some balance and lack of normal kitty street smarts... So this is his complete died.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Mishka&Milo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 08:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Cats are notoriously difficult to get to change their diets. I have a friend with 3 cats, and she tried to switch them to raw. She was successful with 2 of them, but the other one absolutely refuses to eat anything but kibble. Go figure!

From what I've read, cats don't get enough moisture when exclusively fed kibble. My Siamese eats canned (TikiCat) and raw (RadCat). She's almost 2 and hasn't had kibble since I picked her up at 4 months old. And I have never ever seen her drink water. I'm sure she must, but I've never seen it.

That said, I'm not a cat food nazi. Raw and/or canned is expensive. I'm only feeding one tiny 4 lb cat, so I can afford it. Oh, and grain free is the way to go (kibble, canned or raw). As with anything, feed the best you can afford, and can get your guys to eat. Good luck with your kitties!

Carly ~ AKC Ch, GCh pointed, HIC
Sage ~ AKC Ch pointed (13 pts - chasing that last major), HIC
Russell ~ future show dog
Zelda ~ 14 yo puppymill rescue Italian Greyhound
dogfaeries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 08:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Oh and yes, keeping clean water available is very very important for cats. One other consideration is that cats need taurine--not an ingredient that is easy to supply with a raw diet I think. I've never had any issues with kibble fed cats and other than confrontations with other animals causing some minor injuries (and in one case a major abscess) mine have lived very very long lives. The youngest I've ever lost a cat to anything but major trauma was eye cancer and she was 18.
Odin (GSD 8/28/13)
Cosmo-space cat
Chess-fuzzy cat
Valentine-our ragdoll cat
Two great skin kids
3dognite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 09:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Unlike my dog, my cats love the junkier, low quality foods. I do not feed them with anything that has by products as ingredients, but they seem to really like added corn.
We actually change their diet about every 3 bags, they've never had issues changing brands.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 09:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dognite View Post
One other consideration is that cats need taurine--not an ingredient that is easy to supply with a raw diet I think.
Actually hearts have a lot of taurine. If it's a concern, you can always supplement with taurine.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

They are strictly indoor cats, long hair, and one is really overweight. They are huge! I couldn't get pictures of them today but I do have some of their kitten pictures. They look exactly the same just a whole lot bigger. The one on the left is the one now overweight. His name is Noah. The one on the right is much more shy, she had to pull him out from under the bed for me to see him. He went right back. He is Issac.

GSDAlphaMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 09:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Soooo pretty!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.