Follow up question for cat owners - food - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2014, 09:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

When I adopted my persian, her previous owner said she would only eat dry, that she had tried but couldn't get her to eat anything else. It took me a week or so to get her completely on canned. It's really much healthier for them. Cats just don't drink enough water to make up the lack in dry food, even if they "drink a lot". Of course they do .. they're dehydrated. Catinfo.org has a lot of information about feeding. You might check it out. The site owner is a veterinarian.
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2014, 10:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

My calico cat has only eaten what many will call "crap food" her whole life. Friskies, cat chow/whatever. I switch up the dry food all the time and she's fine with it. She also gets a tablespoon of canned food in the morning. Right on top of her two hand fulls of dry food. My cat is 20 years old and the only health problem she had when she was around three was cat acne. On her chin. It went away with proper care and never came back.

My dogs have always had high quality food. Our cats (growing up and mine now my calico) have always eaten (crap food) and never had issues. One of our cats was 26 when she passed.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

As another poster said, cats are obligate carnivores. That means they should be on a grain free diet ONLY. They also should be on grain-free canned or raw, if at all possible. Dry food is really hard on their kidneys and has no benefit to their teeth.

My cat Cleo lived to be 19+ years old. I fed her crap food for the first half of her life--a mix of kibble and grocery store canned food. She ended up with bad teeth, food allergies, chronic renal failure and IBD and some other things that I don't even remember the name of. When she was about 14 she stopped eating entirely and almost died. We had to hand feed her to keep her alive. After a lot of testing they said she had IBD. At that point I got very educated about cats and proper diet. I switched her over to raw and she did great for a number of years. When she was older she couldn't handle raw so I switched her over to grain free canned. Switching foods honestly saved her life!

My current two eat raw and canned pumpkin and they poop once a day. Their poops are small and usually don't smell. I know because their litter box is in my bedroom closet! I use a natural litter called Cedarific but they do track it around the house. I'm thinking of switching to World's Best Cat Litter.

They also shed far less than cats who aren't on a raw diet and their coats are spectacular!

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 11:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

My cats have always done fine on kibble..currently I feed Acana kibble and my cat is doing great. (she is a picky eater and has hair ball issues/ear wax build up on some foods)
Montu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 01:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

This is a great website for learning more about the optimal feline diet, written by a vet: Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 07:54 AM   #16 (permalink)

beautiful kitties!!!

I agree with the poster who has said cats can be very very picky! I know all of mine are! I feed both dry and canned.

I would start by obviously feeding them the food they are on, and try different types if you want to change.

Mine? forgettaboutit, I have tried all kinds, they are particular to fish, won't eat any other type of canned, but bring out real chicken and they devour it..go figure

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 08:10 AM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have a Ragdoll and 3 calicos, they are all fed dry food. They were eating Wellness Core but now they are eating TOTW.

I give them Wellness Core wet food about once or twice a month.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:55 AM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

Ha Ruth ... that's the same website I touted as well.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:24 AM   #19 (permalink)

As stated previously, cats can be difficult to change foods on. I have two and feed a combination of wet and dry. We just use Friskies for the wet food due to cost; 1/2 can a day between two cats. It's not much but it gives them a little more water in their diet without stinking up the litter box bad. For dry I feed the Costco brand grain-free (I think it's relatively new). I've tried all kinds of boutique brands, along with raw, and had little success getting them to change.

Please note that while you can "starve" a dog out to get him to change foods, DO NOT DO THIS TO CATS. This can have fatal results in a very short time, especially if the cat is overweight to begin with. Instead, put a small amount (like 1/10th of the total food) of the new food in with the old food for a while, very gradually making the switch.

Fatty Liver Disease in Cats | petMD (why you shouldn't wait a cat out on food)
angierose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Thanks so much for all the great info!

I'm not sure how to handle getting weight off the cat that needs to lose some. She free fed so I know not to do that, just don't know how much I should feed. I will get weights on them when I get them but he is obviously overweight.
GSDAlphaMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.