German Shepherds Forum banner

Your GSDs and water

3K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  dustysmomma023 
#1 ·
Do your German Shepherds like to play in the water?
Both Harley and Varick LOVE it. Harley likes to splash around in the shallow end, while Varick likes to actually swim.

#10 ·
Tessa used to only go in shoulder deep. We threw her favorite toy far enough that she had to swim for it. That's all it took.

#12 · (Edited)
When Apache learned water she did the spashing it out of the bowl stuff. Now she loves swimming like a beaver or playing on shore, I cant take her fishing. She outswims labs no problem. She is scared of the hose though even though ive never got her with it, she knows to run when I turn it on.

I wouldnt coax a dog into swimming, it will backfire like my dog with the hose. Just play around the water and the dog will figure out swimming.

#13 ·
I don't think mine would jump into a large body of water on their own, but they would follow me in. Midnite is a strong swimmer and Robyn holds her own . They both enjoy playing in the baby pools I got for them , but they don't get dxcited over the hose, that is the younger goldens thing.

#14 ·
A friend's dog was afraid of the water. She brought her to the lake when I took my puppy (he LOVES water) and after a while, she began to swim as well, just following my pup's example (and to make sure she could get her favorite toy before he did!). Maybe take a water loving dog with you?

#20 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.