Weird idea for kenneling my GSD. . . what do you think? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2014, 07:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Weird idea for kenneling my GSD. . . what do you think?

I've never kenneled a dog in my life -- always had petsitters come to my house.

Now that I have a 2.5 year old GSD I'd like to do a kennel for his sake. Staying home w/ a cat and a petsitter would be really boring for him. (Although the sitter could chuck the ball in our fairly large yard each visit.)

So I found a small kennel, family-owned, small staff that's been there for years with regular clients who do daycare and overnight boarding.

But I so wish I could clip an audio something-or-other onto his collar so I could hear how he's really spending his time when I leave him. Have you heard of anything like that?

How do you figure out whether a kennel is treating your dog right or not?

Please don't tell me I'm paranoid -- I already know that!

Thanks,

Alley
Alley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2014, 07:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Never heard of such a device.....interesting idea however.

Maybe a GoPro and a helmet for your pooch ???

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

My dog goes to doggie daycare once a week (on average). She LOVES it. It's nothing like a conventional kennel/boarding facility although the couple who runs it do overnight and long-term stays as well. What's the place like? Have you met the people? Are there a lot of employees? Is it a large facility?

I think the smaller the better, but that's just my opinion. Places that do daycare rather than just boarding should be smaller because they need to be focusing on exercising and playing with the dogs, and the dogs should (ideally) be out and engaged in exercise/play a lot of the day. And the owners/employees should know if your dog will play with others or if your dog needs to be separated, etc. I'd like to meet everyone who will be interacting with my dog and know what the daily schedule is like, and know that I can drop in at any time and check up on what's going on, and that they are fine with that.

I love our doggie daycare - it's much better for my dog than being locked in the living room - and she comes home tired from 8+ hours of solid puppy play
Sookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2014, 07:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Your dog will let you know if he is unhappy at the kennel. Just listen to him.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2014, 07:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

A go pro.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Thewretched is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2014, 07:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

I agree I never kenneled a dog. But I remember a dog that was kenneled. The owners went non vaca. She was healthy as a.horse. came back she was.going down hill pretty fast. She eventually had to be pts (put to sleep)

Old 01-17-2014, 07:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I think anything like that you put on him is likely to be damaged or snagged in the chain link.

Why not take him for some short trial runs, pop in randomly to see how he is doing and gauge your experience that way? Personally, I would opt for the petsitter.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2014, 08:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

When I go anywhere I always go with pet friendly places. Shes part of my family and if she can't be apart of then they don't need my business. I'm mostly speaking of vacation. I don't travel for jobs. I wouldn't own a pet if I did. I don't think it would be fair. My brother does that. The dog spends 98% of its life with my mom. I'm surprised the dog remembers him sometimes

Old 01-17-2014, 08:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

yea don't think anything would really work....

I need to find a kennel as well...It would be nice to find a place that allowed you to log on and see a web cam feed of the dog play area and/or your dogs kennel..the year is 2014.....
Montu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2014, 08:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montu View Post
yea don't think anything would really work....

I need to find a kennel as well...It would be nice to find a place that allowed you to log on and see a web cam feed of the dog play area and/or your dogs kennel..the year is 2014.....
My parents used a kennel in Virginia where they could log on and watch their dog in the actual pen/room she was in - they were given a link to a site and a password and they could log on and watch their dog whenever they wanted. It was expensive, but gave them peace of mind.

The daycare my dog goes to doesn't have anything like that but the woman who runs it posts pictures to facebook throughout the day, and frequently updates the fb page with information about what the dogs are up to, so you can see them having a good time and being well-cared for, which is really nice
Sookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.