Thoughts on their behavior so far? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2014, 07:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Thoughts on their behavior so far?

Kia will now approach Sabo to play, walking up to him when he's laying down and biting the back of his neck and trying to engage play. Sabo bites her legs, but it worries me that he is still getting in her nerves.

She isn't overly possessive anymore with branches and stuff. She isn't possessive over the humans, but will try to shove in if we are petting Sabo.

Cam you guys post links of your dog's playing? This way I can judge of they are Ok or not? Or trainer was supposed to come yesterday to evaluate their playing, but Kia is ina cone so we try to limit their play right now with Sabo leashed. Hes coming on Thursday now.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Attached Thumbnails
Thoughts on their behavior so far?-1389914764662.jpg   Thoughts on their behavior so far?-1389914782477.jpg  
Sabo's Blog (I'm nuts)
erfunhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2014, 07:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Here's a couple more recent ones, they are really into chase also love to wrestle, tug and play keep away with toys.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Ok. I see alot of teeth there too. That's what worries me is Kia shows alot of teeth and Sabo doesn't.

Here's a bad but quick video of them today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awpk...e_gdata_player

Sabo's Blog (I'm nuts)
erfunhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 07:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Those videos are also kind of mild compared to how Ollie plays now, he was under a year in these but now that's he's older he plays a lot rougher and is a lot more vocal. A lot of GSD's like to play rough so I personally wouldn't worry as long as Sabo isn't harassing her. That video kind of looks like she's had enough of his antics but it's normal for them to be teethy when playing but if she's trying to get away from him like that then I'd grab his leash and give her a break, lol.

Last edited by Carriesue; 01-16-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Carriesue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 07:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Kia will now approach Sabo to play, walking up to him when he's laying down and biting the back of his neck and trying to engage play. Sabo bites her legs, but it worries me that he is still getting in her nerves.
That sounds like Kia is getting on Sabo's nerves. He's resting and she tries to initiate 'play'.

She bites his neck, a more dominant move than him biting her legs.

Different people have different ideas on what 'play' is in dogs. I think it is not play but sizing up and establishing roles of dominance or submission in different situations.

It is natural for them to have this game and it's is healthy in the right time and place. I ask my dogs to be calm in the house and allow them play outside on walks within reason.

Quote:
She isn't possessive over the humans, but will try to shove in if we are petting Sabo.
Shoving in is still not allowing Sabo have his rubs. Every one should get there rubs in peace.
MadLab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 08:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Yea from the video it is Sabo starting it.

Looks pretty innocent though. Still Indoors I'd stop him starting like that and let them go for it outside if it is equal enough.
MadLab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 08:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriesue View Post
Here's a couple more recent ones, they are really into chase also love to wrestle, tug and play keep away with toys.

Sam and Ollie playing at the beach! - YouTube

GoPro goes to the beach with the pups! - YouTube
These videos remind me of ours....we have a small section of yard that is more garden type, in the winter it is empty, but spring and sumer full....in the winter...they use it like a race track.

mcdanfam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 08:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadLab View Post
Yea from the video it is Sabo starting it.

Looks pretty innocent though. Still Indoors I'd stop him starting like that and let them go for it outside if it is equal enough.
Fair point, I don't generally let my big dogs rough play in the house and they seem to just play better and get along better in the larger space of the backyard... I've seen more tiffs happen from playing indoors. Of course this will vary by pack.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

I know ours is play....they have a routine...they stare each other down, bow, chase, grab at necks and legs...especially back legs, run around the love seat, dart under the coffee table...the videos are darker...they do this around 4:45-5:00am....:-) Great way to start the morning....every morning.
I can't tell you if this appropriate behavior or normal but it is very normal for our household. I will try and find video of Millie pouncing on miles....I will have to see if my daughters have video in their phones.
http://youtu.be/7B3nTEW7T0M
http://youtu.be/rIG9XpmBN7g

Old 01-16-2014, 08:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

I will say....when miles is tired he makes a very different sound and Millie walks away and lays down. They do not harass each other and seem to respect boundaries when one or the other is finished playing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.