Mice - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2014, 08:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Mice

I have come to the occlusion that I have a mouse in my house. I have found the poop, he seems to be hanging out in the kitchen. I have no clue how it's surviving with 5 cats and 5 dogs in the house , but I have seen no signs of any of them taking interest in a spot where it might be. I am ground level, with no basement. I can caulk the area but that isn't going to help if its in the house when I do so. I didn't notice the poop until it got cold. In the spring I can caulk. Poison is out of the question because of my pets. Is there anything I can safely put down to deter the little boogers? My house is an open plan and I have nowhere to put anything that is harmful out of harms way.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound

Last edited by llombardo; 01-16-2014 at 08:26 AM.
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2014, 08:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

WE had this problem in our garage. We put down glue traps in spaces that were so small that there was absolutely NO chance that our dogs could get them and accidentally step on them.

Bella - GSD mix (3/21/10)
Harley - GSD (2/5/10)
Baron - GSD (10/13)
lkcheertex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 08:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkcheertex View Post
WE had this problem in our garage. We put down glue traps in spaces that were so small that there was absolutely NO chance that our dogs could get them and accidentally step on them.
I have no place like that. I envision the golden puppy with it stuck to his nose
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Old 01-16-2014, 08:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

And I don't want to hear them crying when they get stuck, by they I mean the mice. They don't scare me, in fact I think they are cute, but I know they can carry disease, which concerns me as far as the pets are concerned
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Old 01-16-2014, 08:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

I took a box my work boots came in, cut a small hole in the side, set the trap inside and securely taped the top on. Dogw couldn't get into it but the mouse did. If you're worried about the dogs tearing up the cardboard, a small plastic bin works well too.
misfits is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 08:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
I took a box my work boots came in, cut a small hole in the side, set the trap inside and securely taped the top on. Dogw couldn't get into it but the mouse did. If you're worried about the dogs tearing up the cardboard, a small plastic bin works well too.
Simple but genius!!! They do similar outside office buildings. If you pay attention you can see little black boxes in the corners. Same principle.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The shoe box is a good idea but I don't have anywhere to stick it, everything is wide open
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Old 01-16-2014, 09:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You rarely (if ever) have one mouse. If you see one, chances are you already have a family living in your home. Pretty soon they'll bring in their cousins, uncles, aunts, neighbors...etc. And then they'll multiply.

The mouse poop could have been from a scout mouse, brought in from the cold to find a nice place to colonize. Perhaps one of your cats snatched it up before it was able to return to blab about the nice place it found.

If I see/hear any indication of an invasion of mice I'll take a glue trap and wedge it in between my fridge and the cabinets. The dogs can't reach it, but I can still see if I take any prisoners.

They can come in through the weep holes in brick, scurry their little bodies under doors, through walls etc.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 09:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

If he is in the kitchen do the dogs get up on the counters? I get them from time to time the best way I have found to catch them is get two of the glue traps and put them in a narrow area and put some peanut butter in between them. That way they have to walk over the glue to get to the peanut butter.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Try putting the shoe box in the a lower cabinet with the door just ajar keeps the dogs and cats away). I used a similar technique using 3-4 traps lined up in the box. mouse had to climb on a trap just to get anywhere in the box. I didn't use cheese (never works for me). Mice love peanut butter and grass seed. I put the peanut butter in the trap and sprinkled grass seed all around the inside of the box/on the traps. My record was 5 mice in one day using this method (in my garage).
If you have to have the trap box out in the open you could try heavy duty double sided tape (like carpet tape) to stick it to the floor. Then you would just have to use "leave it" for the dogs.

Good luck!
Springbrz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.