German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Question for Cat Owners (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/396569-question-cat-owners.html)

GSDAlphaMom 01-15-2014 04:12 PM

Question for Cat Owners

What is the best cat litter?

I have never owned a cat and am considering one, a ragamuffin which is suppose to be dog like in personality. I'm more concerned about the litter box then anything. Is there anything on the market that controls odor?

trcy 01-15-2014 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSDAlphaMom (Post 4839433)

I have never owned a cat and am considering one, a ragamuffin which is suppose to be dog like in personality. I'm more concerned about the litter box then anything. Is there anything on the market that controls odor?

I get the clumping kind and the odor control has more to do with how often you clean it. My litter box is not where the dog can get to it. I heard clumping litter is not good for them if they get into it.

3dognite 01-15-2014 04:17 PM

I use the scoopable kind from Costco, the huge (42 pounds) bag. It's the Scoop Away brand...works well. 3 cats, 2 boxes and we scoop once a week. I rarely notice a smell...but we do have one cat that doesn't cover her poop very well and in those cases, it's more noticeable.

halo2013 01-15-2014 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3dognite (Post 4839465)
I use the scoopable kind from Costco, the huge (42 pounds) bag. It's the Scoop Away brand...works well. 3 cats, 2 boxes and we scoop once a week. I rarely notice a smell...but we do have one cat that doesn't cover her poop very well and in those cases, it's more noticeable.

I always used fresh step. I had 5 cats at once never would've known

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

kiya 01-15-2014 04:22 PM

I also use scoop away from costco clumping is the only way to go I never smell cat, dog yes. Also get a litter box with a cover otherwise you'll have cat litter everywhere.

halo2013 01-15-2014 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSDAlphaMom (Post 4839433)

Fresh step multi cat I think it was called. Clumps nicely. Stops oder on the spot. I'd never switch brands evening I got another cat.

Sookie 01-15-2014 04:24 PM

I have 4 cats and 3 litter boxes - all the covered type. Scoopable litter, whichever brand is cheapest at the time as I've never noticed a real difference between them. I clean the boxes every morning and evening but I'm a neat freak.

luvjulius 01-15-2014 04:33 PM

Worlds best Cat litter. That's the name, and it really is the best and natural.
I had two Ragamuffins, great personality and beautiful but the hair is pretty bad. It's that really light fluffy floats in the air and sticks on everything hair. I would vacuum before going to bed and wake up in the morning and finds clumps of hair everywhere from them playing during the night.
Another good breed to consider with the same personality would be the Siberian.

madis 01-15-2014 04:34 PM

We use tidy cats multiple cats (even though we only have 1 cat) we started out with the one with Glade in it which worked great but it isn't sold everywhere so we switched to just he multiple cat small spaces. No smell at all! Both are clumping litters (our cat wouldn't use the clay kind) the only time it smells is when I skip a cleaning day. We have a Bengal mix who loves to poop so we really have to clean both boxes at least every other day. We are getting our GSD puppy this weekend, we will be diligently be teaching him to stay out of he cat box.

Thewretched 01-15-2014 04:36 PM

Blue buffalo NON clumping, we have a big cat that tracks the other kind all throughout, no dust, no tracking, no smell