German Shepherds Forum banner

Question for Cat Owners

3K views 49 replies 34 participants last post by  Roemly's Mama 
#1 ·
What is the best cat litter?

I have never owned a cat and am considering one, a ragamuffin which is suppose to be dog like in personality. I'm more concerned about the litter box then anything. Is there anything on the market that controls odor?

#2 ·
I get the clumping kind and the odor control has more to do with how often you clean it. My litter box is not where the dog can get to it. I heard clumping litter is not good for them if they get into it.

#3 ·
I use the scoopable kind from Costco, the huge (42 pounds) bag. It's the Scoop Away brand...works well. 3 cats, 2 boxes and we scoop once a week. I rarely notice a smell...but we do have one cat that doesn't cover her poop very well and in those cases, it's more noticeable.

#5 ·
I also use scoop away from costco clumping is the only way to go I never smell cat, dog yes. Also get a litter box with a cover otherwise you'll have cat litter everywhere.

#8 ·
Worlds best Cat litter. That's the name, and it really is the best and natural.
I had two Ragamuffins, great personality and beautiful but the hair is pretty bad. It's that really light fluffy floats in the air and sticks on everything hair. I would vacuum before going to bed and wake up in the morning and finds clumps of hair everywhere from them playing during the night.
Another good breed to consider with the same personality would be the Siberian.

#9 ·
We use tidy cats multiple cats (even though we only have 1 cat) we started out with the one with Glade in it which worked great but it isn't sold everywhere so we switched to just he multiple cat small spaces. No smell at all! Both are clumping litters (our cat wouldn't use the clay kind) the only time it smells is when I skip a cleaning day. We have a Bengal mix who loves to poop so we really have to clean both boxes at least every other day. We are getting our GSD puppy this weekend, we will be diligently be teaching him to stay out of he cat box.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#12 ·
My breeder recommends the wood pellet litter, like Feline Pine. It's the only thing I've ever used with my Siamese, and there is NO cat box smell at my house. I like it. :)

Sent from Petguide.com App

#13 ·
Blue Buffalo made from walnut shells.
Due to one of our cats having inappropriate peeing, we had to put a litter box in my daughter's bedroom. There is very little odor, plus the cats actually like it (may be the texture or non-odor?) so they use the litter box all the time now.

#17 ·
I might try that for a bed room. Couple of my cats are morons! I've used the Arm and Hammer and either of the two brands Costco Carries, the green container one and the 42 lbs plastic bag one.

The 42 lbs monstrosity is a major PIA! I am physical fit and some times I just can't bear to deal with the mass of that thing! If you have hand or back problems bear that in mind!

But either seems to work well and I have a lot of cats! :)

#15 ·
World's Best. It is expensive but it is the only litter that we have tried that isn't dusty. Even if they say dust free they seem to break down after a couple uses and dust goes everywhere. We tried one made out of recycled paper. Don't EVER try that one - nasty, soggy clumps that wouldn't scoop.

#18 ·
I use Tidy Cat Breeze litter system, they're special boxes that use inert pellets and pads instead of litter. There's a tray underneath where the pads got the urine goes though and collects there so it doesn't smell up the box. It works really well with odor control, without using any fragrances or anything. They're big plastic-y pellets, so they don't get tracked around either.
My cats are allergic to almost every type of litter we've tried so this has worked well for us. I also use Blue walnut based litter (clumping) in one box, because my cats like it better if there's one "normal" box in addition to the Breeze boxes. This is one of the only litters they didn't have skin reactions to. The Blue litter is good for odor control too.

#19 ·
I have 2 GDSs and one Am.PitBullTerrier mix and several indoor cats. Make sure you don't let the dogs near the cat litter--- they have a disgusting habit of eating cat poop, even if it is encrusted with cat litter particles. I use COSTCO's "LITTER PURRFECT".
It clumps and lasts longer and is cheaper than any other brand. However, I have noticed that they changed their formula recently, and the new stuff does not last as long.

Glad to hear that you will have a GSD and a kitty.... no matter what breed of kitty
(or no breed at all) they are wonderful companions, just like canines.

#23 ·
Check out the Cat whisperer on Youtube lol.

Seriously though, he has a lot of good advice on making a cats environment cat friendly so the cat doesn't feel insecure and spray the place.

My friend had a cat in my house for a while and what he did was get the cat used to going in the litter tray and then take away the tray and leave a window open so the cat could go outside.

#24 ·
its not recommended you use clumping kitty litter for kittens, they may lick their feet/ingest the litter...So I start with reg old kitty litter, and then go to clumping, saves ALOT..

#25 ·
The best odor control is scooping (or cleaning if you have a kitten too young for clumping litter)... often. Once your baby is old enough for clumping, be sure to keep the box deep enough that clumps never actually touch down to the bottom. If a clump touches the side, I tap to dislodge, scoop, then tilt the box away from that side and clean it with a disinfectant wipe and dry. A lot of odor comes from a dirty box itself and not what's in the litter ;)

#26 ·
We use Publix brand in the plastic container....every morning scoop, sprinkle baking soda over the top ....but our cats have a cat door (behind our potty) to a little room under the stairs that would have otherwise been wasted space....we have a larger 4 feet tall/2 feet wide door in the garage for humans to enter and clean the litter boxes....best money ever spent when it comes to our house....everyone made fun...but 6 other homes in the community now have one :) I should have sold the idea...;-)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.