Would my GSD be happy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2014, 04:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Would my GSD be happy?

I am planning on getting a GSD. One thing I keep seeing is that if I don't have my dog in some sort of competition it won't every be truly happy. So I'm curious, if I were to buy a GSD and his job was to be a family pet, would he still be happy? Of course he is going to get trained and exercised daily. But is this enough to keep my future GSD happy?
Airman1stclass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 04:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have had both, pets and one that I used for competition. There was no difference in them. All you need to do is love them.
Owned by Bridgette-RIP 05/93-09/10, Jasmine-RIP 01/96-5/06/09, Dakotah-R.I.P 14/12/05, Joshua-R.I.P 31/10/12, Sabrina-RIP 1/07/01-26/11/13, Shane 11/09/01, Samantha-R.I.P 07/12/13, Amber, Jody, Wendy, Gabriele-RIP 01/23/12-12/21/13, Kimi, and Jakob.
lostangl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 04:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I think as long as you spend a lot of quality time with em, they will be happy. Now, you might have to be creative so your dog doesn't become BORED, but that's different from actually being unhappy.

Going to training classes, out socializing (not necessarily interacting, but seeing lots of new things), hiking as it gets older, hide and seek games, fetch, tugging (flirt pole and other tugs), nosework, tricks, manners ... lots of things you can do that's not competitive.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

I would talk to the breeder and get a lower drive pup. As long as he gets enough mental and physical exercise, you should be fine.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman1stclass View Post
I am planning on getting a GSD. One thing I keep seeing is that if I don't have my dog in some sort of competition it won't every be truly happy. So I'm curious, if I were to buy a GSD and his job was to be a family pet, would he still be happy? Of course he is going to get trained and exercised daily. But is this enough to keep my future GSD happy?
Where do you "keep seeing" this>>>"if I don't have my dog in some sort of competition..."
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 05:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Of course your dog will be happy just as a family dog. I don't show my dog and she is perfectly fine.
Xena9012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 05:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Let me put all this into perspective for you...

Dogs do not get up one day and say "I just don't feel fulfilled. I would like to go jump over things and bite people's sleeves"

Your dog can be perfectly happy as an active companion. You'll want to make sure they are mentally stimulated and have plenty of physical activity. But they do not NEED to do sports.

You don't even need to ask for a "lower" drive puppy. Ask for one with balanced drives! One that is stable and sound of temperament. Explain to your breeder what you want. They should be able to match a puppy to you!

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 05:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

If he is safe, loved and exercised i dont think he will complain, i dont do "sports" with my dogs and i have a pretty intense BC, he gets his daily runs in and has functioned just fine as a family dog for 2.5 years now
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 06:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Jax, I agree.

My boy is my active companion. We are active with him but do not participate in any sport, he's not a working dog. The first 2 years we did obedience, rally & agility. Nothing official but it was fun. He will be 4 this Spring. He comes with us camping & hiking. We do this all year. He loves it & gets so excited when the gear comes out. He knows he's an important member of the pack.

I believe he's a "happy"dog. I nourish his doggie spiritand allow him to be a dog. Splash in mud puddles, roll in dirt, watch & chase squirrels...even bark at the neighbors cat occasionally, he can sniff & lift his leg.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

while I had aspirations for my girl, life gets in the way, and things change.

I have a pretty high energy czech/ddr 5 year old, and I don't participate in sports with her.

She is my constant companion, we hike alot, exercise, walk, classes at times, fun tracking.

As she's matured she's developed an off switch, and tho she does need everyday exercise in one form or another, she can do well with a day or two of me working long hours.

I love this dog, but only "love" wouldn't cut it. THey do not need to compete in anything, but these dogs are not couch potatoes, and do like an active lifestyle.

I'm sure there are much lower energy gsd's out there , I really have never had one, nor do I really want one

Being active doesn't mean you have to compete in anything with the dog.

Finding a breeder who can match a puppy to your wants/don't wants/lifestyle/expectations is key .

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.