Whining Problem... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2014, 12:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Whining Problem...

Schatzi is getting this habit of whining when she gets a bit excited. When people try to pet her, when I am about to feed her, sometime when we are training, when there is another dog around...etc. My question is how can I stop her from whining?

She has good obedience, but now that I am out of school and get home at 4pm from work I have tons of time to spend with her so I decided to start training both my dogs over again and turn their good obedience to great. I am following the methods Michael Ellies lays out in his The Power of Training Dogs with Food dvd.

Anyways, any tips and/or advice will be appreciated
Thanks
lennoxbradley88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 12:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

She could just be a talker. Allie and Lycan whine when they are happy, sad, puzzled, excited, pleased, annoyed etc.

Jelpy
Old 01-13-2014, 12:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelpy View Post
She could just be a talker. Allie and Lycan whine when they are happy, sad, puzzled, excited, pleased, annoyed etc.

Jelpy
Hmm never thought of that lol. I know my Malamute howls and "speaks" but never thought a GSD can be like that as well...interesting. Thanks
Old 01-13-2014, 01:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Our last was like that. She "cried" or whined a lot. In the car it was like we had a crying baby in the car.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00ks View Post
Our last was like that. She "cried" or whined a lot. In the car it was like we had a crying baby in the car.
Same here. In the car though, I really wish I could get him to stop.
jjk454ss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 01:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

I'm not an expert trainer by any stretch of the imagination. I could never get her to stop.

Our current pup started doing that in the car and I can't stand the thought of going through that again.

Here is what I have been doing. I put a zip lock of treats in the car. When he gets in the car I treat. We make it to the end of the driveway without him crying, I treat. We make it to the stop sign at the end of the street without him crying, I treat. etc. If he cries or whines, no treats. You could also hold the treat so he could see it, when he chills out, mark the behavior, and treat.

So far that seems like it is working. Eventually I will start backing off on the treats until I eliminate them. However, he is currently 9 weeks old. Your mileage may vary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk454ss View Post
Old 01-13-2014, 01:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00ks View Post
I'm not an expert trainer by any stretch of the imagination. I could never get her to stop.

Our current pup started doing that in the car and I can't stand the thought of going through that again.

Here is what I have been doing. I put a zip lock of treats in the car. When he gets in the car I treat. We make it to the end of the driveway without him crying, I treat. We make it to the stop sign at the end of the street without him crying, I treat. etc. If he cries or whines, no treats. You could also hold the treat so he could see it, when he chills out, mark the behavior, and treat.

So far that seems like it is working. Eventually I will start backing off on the treats until I eliminate them. However, he is currently 9 weeks old. Your mileage may vary.
Thanks, I've tried the treats a little, but I should take your advice and really focus on it. The one thing that has made a difference is I put a plastic storage tote on the seat next to him, it keeps him from getting too excited. He used to jump from window to window, now he sits stiller and doesn't get so worked up. I'll definitely try the treat thing though.

I keep meaning to try short trips, or trips when I have more time. I'm always heading somewhere so never end up stopping or really doing anything when he whines. I keep wanting yo try just stopping every time he whines too.
jjk454ss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 01:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk454ss View Post

Mine doesn't whine in car, but does get car sick. I've tried almost everything from setting in the drive way and reward, ginger snaps, driving slow. But her issue is when we drive a bit further than just around the block. Right now I usually give her a bonine pill for the motion sickness and works like a charm she is normal and no issue.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

My dog is a huge whiner. I was told his grandmother was a talker/whiner too. He also makes other noises. he's just very vocal.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My boy's super vocal too. If he isn't whining, it's because he's barking or yipping or groaning....or sleeping, lol.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.