Neighbors dogs just got out and bit a guy and his dog pretty bad - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2014, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Neighbors dogs just got out and bit a guy and his dog pretty bad

What a horrible situation. I got a call from my wife crying saying someone in my front yard was yelling Help Me! and being attacked by a dog. She looked again and recognized it as my neighbors Neapolitan mastiff. I work about 10 minutes away so I ran home. These dogs know me pretty well so I figured I might be able to help. I got there about 10 minutes later and the fire dept and ambulance were there. The dogs were still out and I was told they were going to put the dog down. I asked if I could try to get them since they know me and I used a lasso type of collar and got them back in the yard. The fight was over by the time I got there but from what I understand two dogs got out but only one got in to the fight. I managed to get them both in her back yard. The guy went to the hospital and his dog was pretty beat up but still walking around. Her dog was bit up a good bit also.

The dog that got in to the fight was a rescue dog that was left with mange tied to a tree in the middle of the woods. He is now 120 lbs and was 60 lbs when she got him. She nursed him back to health. In the seven years I have lived there I have never seen her dogs out of the yard. This particular dog they got in to it with has trouble with all the dogs in the neighborhood. It is no excuse I know but a sad situation. From what she was saying a couple weeks ago the same dog got free from his owner and ran across the street in to her yard and got in to it with the same dog so they have a history. I believe the guy got bitten trying to separate them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 12:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sounds like a horrible accident. Hope the guy and both dogs are OK.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 12:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would not want to get into a fray with a 120 Lbs dog of any breed.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 01:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

nice job op, but i don't think this is going to end well for the mastiff,
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 01:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Very sad. I wish the dogs had not been left outside in a yard they could escape from. It sounds like the mastiff isn't completely to blame, yet he will get all the blame just the same. Thank you for helping. You are a good neighbor. Hope the outcome isn't as bad as I think it will be.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 01:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Wow great job on helping out by hubby! Hope no lasting injury to those involved. And I would hope the Mastiff could get the kinda help he really needs at this point.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 01:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

A Mastiff is a strange breed, I had my dog at dogpark and he was minding his own business when a 150 lb. Mastiff just walked up to him a bit Cutter in the face, had a big gash above one eye. Instantly Cutter charged him and put him on his back and had the Mastiff by the neck which is when I pull him off, the Mastiff just ran away. Just very weird that the Mastiff would be that aggressive with no provocation.

Rebell vom Osangute-Land D.O.B. 10/15/13
SoCal Rebell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 09:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

That's a tough situation for all involved. It's fortunate you were there to help when you were! I empathize with the mastiff's rescuer. My Jack has had a couple of close calls, and the result is that I manage him *very* closely. He is gentle as a lamb with a 7-year old human, but God (and training) save any aggressive poodle-doodle-toy dog that makes the first move Though, mine has never put any one in hospital, or even to the vet... But we just never know with the rescues. So sorry for the owner. She clearly went above and beyond, but some dogs just need constant supervision until they are totally proofed. I've had enough close calls, thankfully, to learn this before having my own tragic story to share Wishing all a speedy recovery, and a one free bite law for the mastiff, like we have here in Texas. Maybe if the dog gets that, you can help the owner connect with the professional handler she needs to consult...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Jack - male GSD b. 8/9/10
Lillian - female Weimaraner b. ~2005
RIP Mattie - female GSD 10/18/02 - 7/24/2013
JackandMattie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 09:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

if it was an English Mastiff, that would be really unusual. They're such gentle giants.

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

zyppi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 10:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think it might have to do with the severity of the bite. Sometimes if someone gets bit separating dogs that are fighting, the dog doesn't automatically get put down.

But, if you have a 120 pound dog, then you have to be better than leaving it in a fenced yard. No way do you leave it in a yard, and then leave the premises. She should get a healthy fine, and be responsible for vet and hospital bills of all parties.

I hope they don't kill her dog. If there was even one dog-at-large charge against her in reference to the Neopolitan Mastiff, then it would be a different story. If the mastiff left off attacking the dog, and attacked the owner with several bites, then put it down.

A good lawyer with experience defending dog owners should be able to prevent euthanasia, I think.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.