German shepherd liabilty - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2014, 10:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default German shepherd liabilty

What are the liabilities or lawsuits for German shepherds? Can people get sued for any reason if people walk them even guardians? What is this about being sued whether the dog is naughty or nice, mellow, easy going, friend or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 10:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would think that unless your dog does something wrong, it would be kinda hard for someone to sue you just for having a GSD.
Bman0221 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Depends where you are located.

I agree that your dog would probably have to do something, though I think some lady sued because she tripped and fell because she was afraid of the dog. I don't know if she won or not.

If you are renting, or have a HOA and they have rules about dogs being under a certain weight, or banning dogs and you are found harboring one, I suppose a landlord or home-owner or association might sue you.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 10:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

In terms of the law, I do not think a the relationship of guardian is accepted relative to dogs. This is not downplaying your feelings on how the dog-human relationship should be but that the law considers us as dog owners and fully accountable for their actions. A guardian is someone appointed by a court to care for another human being incapable of caring for themselves.

Unless there were breed specific bans (which can be legal) just having a dog of a certain breed would not be cause for legal action.

It is an unusual question. Is there more information to put it in context.

In terms of you being a dog-walker, I would definitely talk with an attorney concerning your liability if something were to happen with one of your client's dogs while you were in control of it. It would be money well spent. You may want to consider a liability policy and could sign legal documents now that you are 18. I would most assuredly have a contract with your clients and any licenses required by the state/municipality.

Some AVMA information about legal status-not sure if it is relevant but it is a good read.
https://www.avma.org/Advocacy/StateA...rdian-ahi.aspx

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles

Last edited by jocoyn; 01-11-2014 at 11:05 PM.
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 10:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Where did you get your info from?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 01:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Oh boy!
alexg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 03:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
In terms of the law, I do not think a the relationship of guardian is accepted relative to dogs. This is not downplaying your feelings on how the dog-human relationship should be but that the law considers us as dog owners and fully accountable for their actions. A guardian is someone appointed by a court to care for another human being incapable of caring for themselves.

Unless there were breed specific bans (which can be legal) just having a dog of a certain breed would not be cause for legal action.

It is an unusual question. Is there more information to put it in context.

In terms of you being a dog-walker, I would definitely talk with an attorney concerning your liability if something were to happen with one of your client's dogs while you were in control of it. It would be money well spent. You may want to consider a liability policy and could sign legal documents now that you are 18. I would most assuredly have a contract with your clients and any licenses required by the state/municipality.

Some AVMA information about legal status-not sure if it is relevant but it is a good read.
https://www.avma.org/Advocacy/StateA...rdian-ahi.aspx

There is more info than what's on that pos
Old 01-12-2014, 05:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I was sincerely trying to answer the question as best I could because the only way I could read the question was to put it in context and thought your question "if people walked them even guardians" referred to your dog walking business and that the question of liability was related to walking German Shepherds.

I am sorry if that is not what you meant and if my answer offended. It was not intended that way.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles

Last edited by jocoyn; 01-12-2014 at 05:28 AM.
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 09:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

I think Nancy answered your question as she read it.

I would 'think', any dog in one's possession (whether it's walking/petsitting) is that persons responsibility. Unless it was a minor child.

If for example, your walking someone else's GSD, and that gsd attacked a person, if your of legal age, I would think YOU (general you) would be responsible.

Any dog owned and in the owners possession, if that dog bites someone, attacks another dog, again, owner is responsible and yes in either example I would think you (general you) could be sued and loose the house you live in if it's extreme enough.

It probably also depends on the area your in.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 09:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Working in a field where I deal with attorneys on a daily basis regarding liability, the attorneys will most likely pursue all avenues. Ie you since you are a business & the owners of the dogs. Don't know if they can, but I sure as *'!! wouldn't put it past them to try.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.