Practical solutions for managing poo in the winter - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2014, 01:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Practical solutions for managing poo in the winter

I've never posted before, but I've been lurking here for almost a year now, since we adopted our first rescue GSD. We now have two rescue shepherds living in our home. I'm interested in any advice on how to manage the yard during the snow and rain of winter (we are in New England). Having not pursued every elimination during heavy snow, we developed quite a bit in the yard. Of course the snow melted and then it rained. We've performed multiple clean-up efforts to remove as much as possible, but there seems to be quite a bit of poo mud from the snow melt and rain (or some that started out less than ideal) that I can't get off the grass. Although the pups usually use only one section of the yard, which is not the main play area, I believe this poo mud is making its way into my house. I'm finding daylight savings time is also a challenge in the poo maintenance department.

Normally, we try to pickup every time one of the pups goes (especially since we have a poo connoisseur here who loves to chew on toys and give kisses). It just got away from us in the last month or so.

Does anyone have suggestions on:
(1) how to manage poo in tough winter conditions (can you recommend pickup tools, how do you manage when there is a foot or more of snow?)
(2) how to reclaim the yard once it has that layer of poo mud
(3) tricks to keeping the mud outside
(4) any other tips or tricks you can think off

I really appreciate any responses! I'm off to pickup and mop duty again!!!
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 04:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

I dig the poo snow with a shovel, and just grab lots of snow/ice along with the mess. But poo-mud is a whole other level of nasty.

If it were my yard, and the area isn't too big I might try to block off the muddy area until you can get it under control.

Another option might be to buy some indoor/outdoor carpet and stake it down real good to cover the poo-mud. At least that would keep the mess out of your house until spring when you can scrape up all the nasty dirt and plant some grass there.
Thorny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 04:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yuck! Well, I'm not sure how you're going to clean up the previous mess. You will have to clean up the worst of it the best you can and hopefully the rest will disintegrate. In the old days, we sprinkled lime over the poo. You could try that on the spots you can't get up. Maybe throw down some straw too. In the meantime, you need to take the dogs out on leash to potty. Walk them to a designated area. Clean up immediately. I use newspaper bags - hand in bag, pick up poo, pull bag inside out and tie. I have two cylinder shaped plastic waste baskets with lids. I keep one on the back patio and one in the side yard toward the front of the house. Full poo bags go into the waste baskets until trash pick up day. All is dumped into a big trash bag and goes into the garbage can. My snow has not been as deep as yours, but I do shovel the dogs' designated area. Easier for the dog to potty. Easier for me to clean up.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 05:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I learned a long time ago that if its not kept up with it becomes a HUGE mess. We got tons of snow and I just bundled up, put my boots on and went out. I did pick up quite a bit of snow too. When the temps became frigid I tried to keep up, but the poop was freezing faster then I could pick it up. I broke my pooper scooper trying to dig it up once it thawed I was right back at it. Now we have a slushy mess, but I have no poop anywhere. I also have a metal trash container that has a bag in it for poop, then I move that bag into a trash container that my garbage company provided me with for dog poop.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC
Brennan- Golden Retriever

"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you
more than he loves himself."

Last edited by llombardo; 01-11-2014 at 05:04 PM.
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 05:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorny View Post
I dig the poo snow with a shovel, and just grab lots of snow/ice along with the mess.
I suggest using a shovel too. You could also block off a small section of your yard, that is near the house and easy of the dogs to get to, specifically for your dogs to do their business. You should also try and pick it up straight away so it doesn't turn into a yucky mud substance.
Xena9012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 05:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

I go out with the dogs at poop time and catch the poop in a shovel as it comes out. I started this with my working dog and carried it over to home because it worked so well.

David Winners

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 05:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Winners View Post
I go out with the dogs at poop time and catch the poop in a shovel as it comes out. I started this with my working dog and carried it over to home because it worked so well.

David Winners
I'd like to see that work with the poop walkers
alexg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 05:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

I clean it up everyday no matter what the weather, it never has a chance to build up. I'm also lucky in that my shepherd goes in the same spot everyday, makes it very easy..lol
BahCan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 06:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

pick it up when they go. then take some clean snow and throw
it over the poop stained, pee stained snow. your yard has a lot
of poop in it because you don't clean it up quickly.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 06:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Is it practical to have an astro turf area that is their designated area and eliminate the mess before it starts?
Harley120R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.