German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   What to expect owning a German Shepherd (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/393210-what-expect-owning-german-shepherd.html)

Tiger07 01-08-2014 01:19 PM

What to expect owning a German Shepherd

Hi
My parents are going to allow my brother to adopt a male German Shepherd puppy.
Our family consists of two dogs already,an Alaskan Malamute 3 years old (spayed) and a 5 month Golden retriever (male).
When the German shepherd matures will his personality changes like,will he try too dominate my two dogs.

I've only really greeted one German Shepherd.My friend German Shepherd was a great dog(friendly),well behaved and good with his other dog. His German shepherd was really trained though.

Michiiko and Tiger

Bridget 01-08-2014 01:46 PM

I think it will be fine since he will be raised with the other two dogs. I'm sure other more experienced folks will have good advice though.

Tiger07 01-08-2014 02:47 PM

Thank you for replying

brembo 01-08-2014 03:10 PM

Well, I was gonna say get used to shedding, but ya already have a shedder in the Malamute.

GSD stages as I know them:

Puppy(weeks to year or so). Imagine a smallish agile robot designed to bite. Imagine it's intelligent and learning and cute as the dickens. There is your puppy. They bite. Did i mention the proclivity to bite?

Adolescent(year-ish to 3-y/o). Still a bit mouthy, will listen to an extent if you have something really cool to offer or do. Athleticism tops off, body fills out. Slowly becomming a real dog.

Adult. 3 y/o or so and on. Wonder dogs. Psychic level intuition and razor sharp minds. Loyal to a fault and bond like mad to their human. It's worth the time invested in the puppy/teen stages because an adult GSD is just a wonder to behold. Strong leadership will forge a dog that almost seems to good to be true. Banjo(rip) surprised me up until he was dying, Cable(3 y/o) is now doing things that blow my mind.

As to wanting to be Alphish acting, depends on the dog. thus far my dogs are happy to see me happy and leave it at that. I'm in charge and they know it and seem just dandy with it. probably less stressful for them to look to me for direction. I take great pains to make sure I steer them correctly and it has worked beautifully so far.

JakodaCD OA 01-08-2014 03:45 PM

these dogs do not train themselves, so be ready for some good training, as in obedience classes.

One can never predict how a puppy will end up behaving with existing dogs in the household as an adult. Depends on the temperament of all involved.

LoveEcho 01-08-2014 04:36 PM

There seems to be a rash of posters lately who didn't seem to do their research and are at their wit's end with their high-energy puppies, so I'm just going to throw it out there to reiterate: exercise! Exercise! Exercise! They need a LOT of exercise and training- more than most people expect. Mouthiness comes with the territory- it will pass.

Your future pup's siblings are adorable :)

huntergreen 01-08-2014 10:50 PM

op, depends on the gsd, and the pups temperament.

boomer11 01-08-2014 11:20 PM

dang that is one nice looking golden retriever pup!

selzer 01-08-2014 11:32 PM

It sounds like you may not be on board with the GSD? This will be your brother's dog?

Since everyone's a boy, it should be ok. Don't worry about dominance. Your pup and his pup are both close in age which could be an issue, but if one or both are neutered before they are 2, chances are you aren't going to get into the major dog-dog issues.

Training is key with all dogs. I am not sure what your brother is planning to do. But what you can do is have such a fun time taking your dogs to classes and training them, that he will want to do the same with his boy.

Lots of people have GSDs with other dogs with no problems.

doggiedad 01-09-2014 12:00 AM

whatever you and your household put into training
and socializing is what you're going to get out.