My First Rescue adoption! Is he part Dutch? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My First Rescue adoption! Is he part Dutch?

Hey all, first time poster and new member here!

I have wanted a GSD since I was a kid. Now, I am finally in the position to own one and applied to 3 local rescues in my region. Although I was set on an all GSD, I could not resist the AMAZING temperament and character that I found in this guy so I rescued 2 y.o. Clayton on Saturday and renamed him "Jerry Lee". I acquired him from MAGSR in Maryland. I was very surprised how easy going he was, paying no mind to other dogs at the kennel and only interested in getting treats (strong food drive!!) and getting pet by everyone he could. He's a big, affectionate leaner and very strong so you need to lean back or he will take you down haha. He's about a meduim height in terms of a GSD but seems he may be a bit bigger than many DS I've seen. One thing that stuck out is that he is obviously very intelligent. Its almost like you can just see it in his eyes that he knows exactly what is going on and is very confident. He's not shy but not aggressive at all. He is heartworm positive and I have no problem spoiling him and being by his side during the recovery. I will be picking him up and bringing him home this Friday. I'm excited to say the least!

My question is... is he part Dutch, part GSD? The only Brindle breed I really see in him is DS...

My hunches and research says DS/GSD mix because he is obviously brindle but has a black back/saddle. He has also gone from 52lbs as a stray to 70lbs in 6 weeks and will end up being 75ish we think because of his muscular build and big ol' head. The head structure and snout looks GSD dog to me.

Please give me your opinion, even if you aren't 100%. I know nobody can be sure.
Attached Thumbnails
My First Rescue adoption! Is he part Dutch?-jerrylee01.jpg   My First Rescue adoption! Is he part Dutch?-jerrylee02.jpg   My First Rescue adoption! Is he part Dutch?-jerrylee03.jpg   My First Rescue adoption! Is he part Dutch?-jerrylee04.jpg   My First Rescue adoption! Is he part Dutch?-jerrylee05.jpg  

Last edited by JerryLeeK9; 01-06-2014 at 01:55 PM.
JerryLeeK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Whatever he is, he is gorgeous! Congratulations on this beautiful, good boy!

Old 01-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Welcome...what a nice looking dog...have fun..
ksotto333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 02:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys! I'm not one to give in easy when my mind is made but Jerry Lee took all of 30 seconds to win me.

Any takers on guessing the mix? Just opinions here...
Old 01-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLeeK9 View Post
Hey all, first time poster and new member here!

I have wanted a GSD since I was a kid. Now, I am finally in the position to own one and applied to 3 local rescues in my region. Although I was set on an all GSD, I could not resist the AMAZING temperament and character that I found in this guy so I rescued 2 y.o. Clayton on Saturday and renamed him "Jerry Lee". I acquired him from MAGSR in Maryland. I was very surprised how easy going he was, paying no mind to other dogs at the kennel and only interested in getting treats (strong food drive!!) and getting pet by everyone he could. He's a big, affectionate leaner and very strong so you need to lean back or he will take you down haha. He's about a meduim height in terms of a GSD but seems he may be a bit bigger than many DS I've seen. One thing that stuck out is that he is obviously very intelligent. Its almost like you can just see it in his eyes that he knows exactly what is going on and is very confident. He's not shy but not aggressive at all. He is heartworm positive and I have no problem spoiling him and being by his side during the recovery. I will be picking him up and bringing him home this Friday. I'm excited to say the least!

My question is... is he part Dutch, part GSD? The only Brindle breed I really see in him is DS...

My hunches and research says DS/GSD mix because he is obviously brindle but has a black back/saddle. He has also gone from 52lbs as a stray to 70lbs in 6 weeks and will end up being 75ish we think because of his muscular build and big ol' head. The head structure and snout looks GSD dog to me.

Please give me your opinion, even if you aren't 100%. I know nobody can be sure.
Looks 50% Dutch and 50% GSD to me.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
GSDlover143 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 02:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Looks like you hit the jack pot!!! Great lookin' fella!
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 02:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

He does seem like a DS/GSD mix but I am just guessing. He is such a good looking dog! I love brindle.

I think it's great that you rescued him. Sounds like he's got a great owner and is going to have a super life!

Never get tired of looking at brindle dog pictures, especially DS or DS/GSD mixes-hint, hint... Lol.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
MyHans-someBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 03:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

You guys ALL have beautiful dogs so coming from you all that's a big compliment. I'll be sure to tell Jerry Lee when he gets home haha. And I'll get some more pics once he gets settled in, we are going to have a lot of TV/ nap time together for these next 60 days... the poor guy

How can you not love Shepherds? I'm instantly super proud to own one. Mix or not...
Old 01-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What a handsome dog! It's very likely there's DS in there

That sucks about the heartworm but hopefully he'll be back up to full health quickly, it's amazing what TLC can do Wishing you all the best and please continue to update us on his progress with photos

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 03:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

No guess here as I dont know much about the Dutch shepherd. He's really muscular kind of reminds me a little of a Mal but Im the last person you want guessing. BTW Jerry Lee is one of my favorite names for a GSD. Loved the movies. Thanks for giving Jerry a happy home. Wishing you lots of fun filled adventures.

Lucky- GSD Rescue 2/16/2002
Thunder from the East: adopted 1/25/2013
Miss Chevy Cruz - adopted 1/25/2013
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.