German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Super cold! Strange dog behavior this morning (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/391970-super-cold-strange-dog-behavior-morning.html)

While 01-06-2014 10:52 AM

Super cold! Strange dog behavior this morning

Many people are aware of the deep freeze that most of NA has plunged into.

This morning after breakfast, I let the dog out as usual. He had no problem getting around and took a quick piss, barked at the neighbors, and ran right back inside. I let him out once more before I head off to work, and he ran to the yard then slowed down, sat, and finally laid in the snow. I had to call him and he came very slowly back inside. He was fine once he shook it off inside.

Very strange.

Anyone else see this before? Stay safe.

carmspack 01-06-2014 11:06 AM

cold shock -- that would be like you belonging to the Polar Bear club that does the Jan 1 dips into the icy waters of Lake Ontario.
dog hasn't been acclimated to weather .
working dogs need to be acclimated , otherwise they would be sitting in the air conditioned car refusing to come out and compromised in performance if they did , or conversely in cold , have physical problems because the body is not prepared for cold.
I read that a 20 degree difference experienced rapidly is risky .

works for people too! I am outdoors so much I don't think I feel the cold or hot as much.
farmers same thing , outdoor workers .

MichaelE 01-06-2014 11:39 AM

Could also be the spaces between your dog's pads have filled with snow. It starts to spread the toes, it's cold, and it hurts.

If the snow is wet it packs into the spaces very easily and accumulates rapidly.

I can always tell when Lisl is ready to come in when she sits down or starts deciding which three legs she wants to walk on.

When we come in there are always snow or ice balls between her pads.

LifeofRiley 01-06-2014 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelE (Post 4781562)
I can always tell when Lisl is ready to come in when she sits down or starts deciding which three legs she wants to walk on.

I had to chuckle at this as Riley does the exact same thing!

Riley did not waste anytime taking care of business this morning... it is brutally cold today.

Wodinaz 01-06-2014 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by While (Post 4781306)
Many people are aware of the deep freeze that most of NA has plunged into.

This morning after breakfast, I let the dog out as usual. He had no problem getting around and took a quick piss, barked at the neighbors, and ran right back inside. I let him out once more before I head off to work, and he ran to the yard then slowed down, sat, and finally laid in the snow. I had to call him and he came very slowly back inside. He was fine once he shook it off inside.

Very strange.

Anyone else see this before? Stay safe.

My 2 did the same thing. Went outside, made a dash to there potty spot (they're trained to do there buisness in one part of the yard) and seemed like they hit a wall. Acted almost like an old dog with arthritis. After a bit inside, all was normal. Figured cold had to do with it, since it's a balmy -43 outside. I feel better hearing I'm not the only person to experience this with my dogs. Thanks While for the post.