German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Does he look like a wolf hybrid? Opinions please! :) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/391218-does-he-look-like-wolf-hybrid-opinions-please.html)

xoChesleyy 01-04-2014 08:13 PM

Does he look like a wolf hybrid? Opinions please! :)

6 Attachment(s)
Hi all! So, 3 weeks ago my boyfriend and I picked up a new addition to the family. According to the man who we got him from, his mom is full-blooded German Shepherd, and his dad is wolf mixed with either German Shepherd or something else. He weighs about 80 pounds, has small webbing in between his toes (not sure if this is something all dogs have or not, but thought I'd throw that in), and his hair is about medium-length. So, what do you guys think? :) Does he look like a wolf hybrid or like he is mixed with something else?

*I searched in google images "german shepherd timberwolf" and he looks almost identical to the lower-content ones.. But I really have no idea, lol. :p

Miller 01-04-2014 08:18 PM

not in the slightest. there's not a single characteristic in him that I recognize as hybrid or pert wolf at all.

that's a good thing!

GSDlover143 01-04-2014 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoChesleyy (Post 4773122)
Hi all! So, 3 weeks ago my boyfriend and I picked up a new addition to the family. According to the man who we got him from, his mom is full-blooded German Shepherd, and his dad is wolf mixed with either German Shepherd or something else. He weighs about 80 pounds, has small webbing in between his toes (not sure if this is something all dogs have or not, but thought I'd throw that in), and his hair is about medium-length. So, what do you guys think? :) Does he look like a wolf hybrid or like he is mixed with something else?

*I searched in google images "german shepherd timberwolf" and he looks almost identical to the lower-content ones.. But I really have no idea, lol. :p

Looks like a reverse mask GSD to me. But the tail throws me off. If he does have wolf, he is low content wolf and high content GSD

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Stevenzachsmom 01-04-2014 08:26 PM

I don't see wolf and I certainly hope there is none.

Sunflowers 01-04-2014 08:28 PM

That is a dog. And it is a very good thing for you that it's a dog.

misslesleedavis1 01-04-2014 08:31 PM

Maybe its just me, but i dont see anything other then GSD.

xoChesleyy 01-04-2014 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSDlover143 (Post 4773186)
Looks like a reverse mask GSD to me. But the tail throws me off. If he does have wolf, he is low content wolf and high content GSD

I looked up the reverse mask GSDs on google and I can see why you'd think that. I agree- He does resemble those! And I know.. I don't have any pictures where you can see his tail better unless I take one, but his tail is white underneath and very bushy.

GSDlover143 01-04-2014 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoChesleyy (Post 4773282)
I looked up the reverse mask GSDs on google and I can see why you'd think that. I agree- He does resemble those! And I know.. I don't have any pictures where you can see his tail better unless I take one, but his tail is white underneath and very bushy.

Yeah that's why, either way that's one pretty dog!

volcano 01-04-2014 08:35 PM

No, fwiw I had a wolf/malamute hybrid as a kid (supposedly) it looks like a byb shepherd to me, probably is mixed a generation or two back witha dog someone called half wolf.

vom Eisenherz 01-04-2014 08:37 PM

I'm confused. You were told by the seller that the father is a wolf hybrid and now you're asking if we think your dog is? Do you doubt that the father is who the seller said he was? And if you didn't want a hybrid, why did you buy a dog whose sire is a hybrid? :confused:

I had a friend with a very high percentage Timberwolf (75%) cross and she looked about as much like a wolf as your dog. I see where he may have some wolf blood in there. If the sire is a hybrid and the dam is purebred GSD, then your dog is only 1/4 wolf even if the sire is 50%. So, I'm not sure how much folks on here think a dog with 1/4 wolf blood or LESS would look, but it's entirely possible. Look at ear shape and ear set, muzzle type and coloration, coat type vs. tail and overall expression.

I still don't understand why we're wondering when the dog was sold as a hybrid!