Does he look like a wolf hybrid? Opinions please! :) - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2014, 08:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vom Eisenherz View Post

I had a friend with a very high percentage Timberwolf cross and she looked about as much like a wolf as your dog.

Your friend's "very high percentage Timberwolf cross" was also a dog.

http://www.wildsentry.org/Hybrids.htm

Last edited by Sunflowers; 01-04-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2014, 08:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vom Eisenherz View Post
I'm confused. You were told by the seller that the father is a wolf hybrid and now you're asking if we think your dog is? Do you doubt that the father is who the seller said he was? And if you didn't want a hybrid, why did you buy a dog whose sire is a hybrid?

I had a friend with a very high percentage Timberwolf (75%) cross and she looked about as much like a wolf as your dog. I see where he may have some wolf blood in there. If the sire is a hybrid and the dam is purebred GSD, then your dog is only 1/4 wolf even if the sire is 50%. So, I'm not sure how much folks on here think a dog with 1/4 wolf blood or LESS would look, but it's entirely possible. Look at ear shape and ear set, muzzle type and coloration, coat type vs. tail and overall expression.

I still don't understand why we're wondering when the dog was sold as a hybrid!
Thank you GSDlover143! (:
And I'm not sure, as I didn't know the seller personally. We got him from a rescue, but the seller still claimed the sire is mixed with wolf. I was wondering because he doesn't act timid at all, which is what I have heard about wolfdogs, nor does he have behavioral issues. (Aside from when he gets REALLY hyper and starts play biting, a bit hard. -.-) He doesn't act violent at all but will growl/bark when an unfamiliar person visits.
xoChesleyy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think he is just a gorgeous dog. I am surprised a rescue group would buy into, or pass on that it was said he was mixed with wolf.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 08:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

Can definitely see german shepherd he looks like has husky in him too has gsd markings beautiful though my romany she's gsd x belgian

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
sarah1366 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 09:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom View Post
I think he is just a gorgeous dog. I am surprised a rescue group would buy into, or pass on that it was said he was mixed with wolf.
I know! But thank you.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:05 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah1366 View Post
Can definitely see german shepherd he looks like has husky in him too has gsd markings beautiful though my romany she's gsd x belgian

Thanks! Your dogs are gorgeous, love the black one. (:
Old 01-04-2014, 10:16 PM   #17 (permalink)

To the OP: If it was a rescue, it's likely just a stupid story told by a stupid person dumping their dog. Most rescues wouldn't touch a hybrid with a 10ft pole. Enjoy your dog!

Sunflowers, I have no idea what the point of your post was, or the point of the link. I know exactly what that "dog" (Sasha) was (she was around 75% Timberwolf). I know where she came from. I knew her for years. Her sire was a Timberwolf and her dam was GSD, Malamute, and Timberwolf. I don't need internet DNA on "dog" that was acquired out of state via road trip, proper permits in hand. My friend also has a USDA license for his farm and has a breeding pair of wolves, acquired when someone's zoo was shut down for inhumane conditions and he was called in to rescue them.
vom Eisenherz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 10:23 PM   #18 (permalink)

When I was a kid (I grew up in WV) my neighbor had a timber wolf hybrid, I know she was low content, but she looked allot like your dog....allot...we use to play with her, she was usually tied out. She was never aggressive towards me or any of the neighborhood kids, didn't seem fearful or shy.

Liz&Anna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 10:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It is better for him to be zero content wolf. (Better for you too.) Personally, I would lose the story, never repeat it, and tell people he is a nice shepherd mix - which he is.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 11:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

i have visited the wolf preserve a few times in columbia nj. i ran into two wolf hybrids at my vet. so i am by no means an expert. doesn't look like a PB gsd to me, but i don't see any wolf.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.