Would You Issue a Refund? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2014, 07:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Would You Issue a Refund?

I am hoping some of the breeders will weigh in on this...

My husband and I purchased a GSD from a reputable breeder after quite a bit of research and lurking around this site. I've seen very respectable comments regarding this breeder and breeding program here and elsewhere, and the 13 week old pup we brought home was amazing and everything we'd expected.

We had the pup for less than 72 hours.... within the first day, both my husband and my son began to exhibit signs of being allergic (my husband later admitted that he had felt the same symptoms when we had visited the breeder several weeks earlier, but at the time he thought he was coming down with a cold). My husband contacted a good friend of ours who works for a large local medical center - as a favor he did a quick skin test to be certain, and it was positive. We had no reason to believe he was allergic prior to this (we also had no reason to believe that he was allergic to Penicillin, as he'd taken it multiple times in his life, until the day he had a severe anaphylactic reaction to that and landed in the ER - no idea if the two are related!).

After a long and heart-wrenching discussion, we decided we could not keep the puppy and subject our son to a youth of allergies or allergy medication. I immediately contacted the breeder, with the end result being that I returned the pup to the breeder the following day.

I did not discuss nor request any type of refund upon returning the puppy as it was upsetting enough to begin with, however, I did contact the breeder afterword and ask if considerations for either a full or partial refund would be made given that we tried to do the right thing and return the puppy as quickly as possible.

I was told that a refund is not possible, and per the terms of the contract, which we were never asked to sign, we are not owed a refund. My husband and I are reasonable people and we understand that finding suitable homes for puppies is a time consuming process, however, it's difficult not to feel as if we were "taken" assuming the puppy was re-homed, especially if it happened quickly.

Do you feel we should pursue this further? I am NOT suggesting that I intend to take legal action in any way - I have simply not yet responded to the breeder's original response, and I'd like to know if other breeders would consider a refund under these circumstances.

Thank you in advance.
No228 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2014, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

imho, they do not owe you a refund. this always irks me though, as in most breeder contracts, you are obligated to return the puppy to the breeder, who will most likely resell said pup, but i am not a breeder and i am sure some breeders will respond.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 07:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Wow, tough one. Not a breeder, so not really the response you were asking for, but I will give it anyway.

I think the nice and respectable thing would be to issue you a partial refund. You returned the puppy when it was still young, young enough to rehome quickly.

But it would be a generosity on the breeders part. The breeder fulfilled their end of the bargain. You got a lovely healthy puppy. It's your situation that keeps you from keeping the puppy. Not the breeders fault. So I see their side as well. I would not fault them for not refunding money. But I do think it would be a nice gesture.

Sorry about the turn of events it must be tough on you.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-04-2014, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
Wow, tough one. Not a breeder, so not really the response you were asking for, but I will give it anyway.

I think the nice and respectable thing would be to issue you a partial refund. You returned the puppy when it was still young, young enough to rehome quickly.

But it would be a generosity on the breeders part. The breeder fulfilled their end of the bargain. You got a lovely healthy puppy. It's your situation that keeps you from keeping the puppy. Not the breeders fault. So I see their side as well. I would not fault them for not refunding money. But I do think it would be a nice gesture.

Sorry about the turn of events it must be tough on you.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Not a breeder but I 100% agree with this, my thoughts exactly...
Cats zorro & Patches
BellaLuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have been in this situation and in each instance have taken the dog back and given 100% refund.

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 07:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

I think you did the right thing. The breeder may not "owe" you a refund, but I don't see how any respectable person would not do it. There is nothing wrong with the puppy and you had it less than a week. The breeder can sell it to someone else. Also, you were nice enough to *give* the puppy back. If it were me and had I known the breeder would not be willing to issue a refund (even waiting until re-selling the puppy), I would have used a standard "first right of refusal" and offered the puppy to the breeder to BUY back. That is typically how most dog purchase agreements work. You are not obligated to GIVE a dog back even if a breeder makes it sound that way, you are usually obligated to offer the breeder the chance to "get" (ie, purchase) the dog back before selling it to someone else.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 07:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
I have been in this situation and in each instance have taken the dog back and given 100% refund.

Integrity and ethic goes a long way.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
We've also done this. Ours was a 30 day written guarantee. Wether it's an allergy issue, puppy not settling in the home, or not fitting with other pets. Rather have the pup back and try again then someone taking it to a shelter.
Wodinaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 07:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

I agree with, the respectable thing to do would be to give you a refund.

You had the puppy less than 72 hours, it must have been heartbreaking for you to return it, especially for your son

I'm not a breeder, but I would have refunded your money, contract or no contract.

I would have felt like a thief if I had kept your money and turned around and sold the puppy making double off it

Can you pm me the name of the breeder? Someone I would scratch off my list...

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 07:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

it concerns me that you were never asked to sign the contract. When I purchased my dog we had to have the contract signed before we were allowed to take the puppy, but she doesn't owe you, I agree at least a partial refund is totally reasonable though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.