crate while i am gone ? she hates it - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2014, 07:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Question crate while i am gone ? she hates it

I am fostering 3 kittens in a spare bedroom upstairs, My dog is use to free roaming the house while i am gone. But now that i am fostering kittens i get paranoid and crate her while i am out.

Is this a good idea? She is not happy about it at all.
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2014, 07:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Is your backyard secure? If it is she could spend time out there without destructing anything. Or if your paranoid about the cats getting hurt just block the whole of upstairs off with a gate or just with some makeshift wire.
I understand why your dog doesn't like being crated. She may even want to go to the bathroom but doesn't want to mess her area.
Xena9012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 08:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

crate the cats or lock them up. I try to not change my animals routines for fosters. It's their home

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 08:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Kittens shouldn't be allowed to roam around if they are young (without supervision-just like pups, they can get into a lot of trouble, get stuck in small places, and get hurt). Keep them in one room with litter box, food and water. Then the dog doesn't have to be crated.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

the cats are in a room with the door shut

I just didnt thiink a shut door could stop a gsd if they really wanted in thats why i crate her I guess i am too paranoid

she has no idea i brought kittens in the house, i am sure if she went near the door they would figure it out
Old 01-04-2014, 12:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Not a good idea. Who does that?!?

Crate the newbie cats, not the resident dog. Aargh.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Jack - male GSD b. 8/9/10
Lillian - female Weimaraner b. ~2005
RIP Mattie - female GSD 10/18/02 - 7/24/2013
JackandMattie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 12:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandMattie View Post
Not a good idea. Who does that?!?

Crate the newbie cats, not the resident dog. Aargh.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

the cats are in a room with the door shut

I just didnt thiink a shut door could stop a gsd if they really wanted in thats why i crate her I guess i am too paranoid

she has no idea i brought kittens in the house, i am sure if she went near the door they would figure it out
Old 01-04-2014, 12:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Is your dog a cat killer with a history? Otherwise I'm not sure why you are so concerned?

I have 2 GSD's and my 2 cats are out and about with them 100% of the time with no problems.

NOT saying for you to do this yet with your foster kittens. But when you ARE home, you can be proactive and see how your dog is behaving. Isn't your dog loose when you are home so she can go to the door the cats are behind? How is he behaving? Trust me, she can smell the cats.

If she's fine and ignoring the door/cats when you are home, then it would be the same with my dogs when I leave the house.

You can then use baby gates to separate the doorway from the animals to see how she behaves. Or put the kittens in a crate in the room with the dog and see how she behaves.

Introducing Your Dog to a New Cat | ASPCA

How do I introduce my new kitten to my older dogs? - RSPCA Australia knowledgebase

Tree House Humane Society: Introducing a New Cat to a Resident Dog

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 01-04-2014 at 12:07 PM.
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 06:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

No shes always been sweet with my cat but in the yard she can be a monster to anything any species I am sure

Shes very intense though high drive and territorial to other things that get in her yard (ive found at my past place dead coons, rats, gophers, squirrels, birds never a cat)

I am not going to intro these kittens to the dog becasue they are sick semi feral and they will just get scared out of their minds.

thanks though, I think i get overly concerned and imagine the worst. My girl has no experience with cats outside the ones she raised with who she is very sweet to.

My dog is free at home but shes a good dog if i tell her not to go upstairs she wont ever go, I told her to not go up stairs for a bit because i didnt want her outside of their door. She doesnt care i spend all my time downstairs anyway.

I have a baby gate i put for my other cat but it is so short I always thought if my dog wanted to she could just smash through it or jump over it

shes acting reallly good i mean shes acting like she doesnt know whats in the house, but you can hear them they are younsters and they WRESTLE all day.

I love those videos my old cat was always snarky with my dog and never play with her but my dog still loved her, I am sure had she grown up with a lil kitten that she would have been like one of those dogs in the video.

I think i will wait i guess and see how bonded the efosters are to me and how long i keep them for before showing them to my girl, THey are comming out of their shells now. They see a huge shepherd right now they would probably flip their lid. I dont think these girls have ever seen a dog.

I am not sure how i feel about cats in crates a friend of mine tried to introduce 2 kittens to the sweetest rottie while they were in a crate and one kitten turned on the other and bit it bad.

Last edited by pets4life; 01-04-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Maggie you are so right i was just leaving the cat room and my dog was quietly waiting outside

when i opened the door she had that "innocent" look on her face and peaked in she was not suprised at all, the kittens just looked at her and then my dog and me left lol

No predatory stare just a innocent curious stare and the semi ferals just looked they did not puff up but thats enough at least she knows they are here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.