Moving to San Diego with GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2013, 11:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Moving to San Diego with GSD

Hello! This summer my wife and I will be moving from Virginia Beach to San Diego on Navy orders with our 2 year old GSD and a cat. I'll be working on Coronado and we are looking for a small condo on the island, however, we realize if we look elsewhere we can get more house for less money. We will be renting, but have 8 years of positive rental history with pets and flawless credit.

What areas around San Diego would be the most dog friendly? We won't do the fake service dog thing, but like to take our girl with us everywhere we can. She loves to play and swim so my initial thoughts were the dog beaches at Coronado, Ocean Beach & Mission Beach.

Recommendations?

Thanks!

Pics of Addie:

Jerad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2014, 05:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome to San Diego! And thank you for your service.

Sounds like you have done your research on the dog beaches - don't forget Fiesta Island in Mission Bay and Del Mar dog beach (my absolute favorite).

Lots of apartment complexes allow pets, and many rentals do, too. You just have to look thoroughly.

If you live on Coronado, then traffic kind of gets you "stuck" there, at times. However, it's a nice place to be stuck, in my opinion.

Mission Bay area, for living, is quite diverse - lots of douche bags along with some really cool people. The bay itself beckons to be walked all around, but they have strict dog rules for the walkways and beaches at certain times of the day.

Ocean Beach is really cool and funky. Great dog beach.

If you have kids, then areas for schools would be my primary concern.

Again, welcome!
Myah's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 12:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

No kids at this time, but we do hope one will be joining us before our exodus out of California. We found a place on Coronado that we can afford, but if it's within our price range they are all to expensive for the ~500sqft you get. Looks like we'll keep looking for a place in mission/pacific or ocean beach. Are there any bad areas around there? The house we currently live in is surrounded by section 8 housing, which we didn't know before we moved in and it can get rough at times. We actually had a shooting next door that happened while we were at home.

We'll keep up our search, hopefully we'll find what we need or military housing will become available.
Jerad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 01:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Depending on where in PB or MB there can be a lot of loud parties on work nights til super late - at least that was the case when I lived there. Nothing like a booming stereo at 2am when you have to get up at the crack of dawn for work! We spent a year on Coronado and while small, it was a great year! I live that place!

We then moved out to Eastlake area and my husband commuted to 32nd St. I think there is even military housing out there as well. You will definitely get more space for your $ there.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Levi vom Grunenfeld, RIP 9/5/04 - 3/4/13
mspiker03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I live up in north county so I only make it down to San Diego a few times a month, mostly because of the god awful traffic(which is also an unfortunate part of living in SoCal). But I second Fiesta island, it is amazing! Though unfortunately I can no longer go at least when it's busy because my GSD has turned into a big bully since turning 1.

There's also Balboa park and Seaport village if you just want a nice stroll through some beautiful scenery. Seaport village has a few dog friendly restaurants as well, the pier cafe being my favorite, the Prado at Balboa is dog friendly as well. Both of those places are most excellent socialization spots for puppies as well if you ever get another dog, tons of different types of people and all kinds of things to be exposed to. There's a big dog park at Balboa too if your dog likes that sort of thing.

If you like to hike I'd recommend the Laguna Mountains, some great trails there my favorites being the big Laguna and sunset trail!

Ocean beach is great if not a little seedy but great dog beach and a bunch of dog friendly restaurants. Also there's a lure coursing club that hosts lure coursing events every month in Ocean beach, they also have some agility and nose work you can try out. They will be starting back up again in March, my dog LOVES it. http://www.luratics.com

So many options! I'd also recommend checking out http://www.bringfido.com ,I use it to find a lot of the cool dog friendly stuff.... I don't have kids either so my dogs go with me everywhere they can.

ALSO the San Diego GSD club hosts free training for GSD's every Tuesday in the San Diego zoo parking lot, it's usually held at 6:30pm I think but not sure about right now during 'winter'... Maybe someone else can chime in on that. I try to make it whenever I can!

Last edited by Carriesue; 01-03-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Carriesue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.