HELP: International Health Certificate - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation HELP: International Health Certificate

I'm exporting a puppie from the US to my country, Venezuela. I need the health certificate stamped/endorsed by the USDA...¿Can you share your experience? ¿How did it go? how long did it take you?

I was reading the frequently asked questions and found this:

"How do I get my animal/pet’s health certificate stamped by the USDA? Can I mail my certificate or do I need an appointment to meet in person?"

It is necessary for the VS Area Office to review all documents that support the health certificate. Please bring in or include these documents when presenting a certificate for endorsement. >>>>>> Laboratory results<<<<<< should be an original copy. If an original copy is not available, please have the laboratory fax the results directly to the VS Area Office you are using. When applicable, signed rabies vaccination certificates need to be included....

LABORATORY RESULTS? Is that REALLY necessary? What did you need? is the health certificate all that's needed or am I missing something? From what I understood there's a fee needed to be paid. And it usually takes 24 hours...IF there's nothing wrong with the documents...

Thank you

Helios, 3 YO GSD
Otto, 3 YO Yorkshire
Popi, 12 YO Pekingese
Boni, 12 YO Pekingese

Jessie, 5YO Yorkshire
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 04:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

When I took Vala to Germany I had to go to my vets first, get a special health certificate, they called my state's USDA office in Lansing (our state capitol), I drove up there taking the health certificate and the proof of rabies, waited around for awhile, and they stamped a bunch of paperwork. I may have also filled in some stuff too. Don't remember for sure. I did this the day before I left. It took a few hours (between driving and waiting).

This should all be done by the person who is sending you the puppy.
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Exactly it has to be done by the person in the US sending you the dog . (you are the importer , they are the exporter).
The documents are time sensitive -- limited , usually 10 days before expiry.

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Contact the state vet lab where you live. They will give you all the information you need. Each country has different rabies requirements, when I shipped dogs to Japan, they had to have had rabies with in a year, but not less than three months. Still stayed in quarantine for a few weeks.
The state vet will have everything you need, but the health certificate has to be stamped by the state vet, local vets won't work.
wyominggrandma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

wyominggrandma - this still has to be done by the person who presently owns and cares for the animal in the US . The OP is in Venezuela .
I have shipped to Guyana and to Rio de Janeiro , and Hong Kong -- each and every one had very specific steps to follow before the dog could leave the country , in my case Canada , to whatever foreign destination. The Hong Kong dog needed government permission and a great deal of permits which the importer , person receiving dog in Hong Kong had to obtain.

Carmspack
Old 12-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
When I took Vala to Germany I had to go to my vets first, get a special health certificate, they called my state's USDA office in Lansing (our state capitol), I drove up there taking the health certificate and the proof of rabies, waited around for awhile, and they stamped a bunch of paperwork. I may have also filled in some stuff too. Don't remember for sure. I did this the day before I left. It took a few hours (between driving and waiting).

This should all be done by the person who is sending you the puppy.
Thanks Lisa!!!

I'd have the "original health certificate paperwork" and the issued vaccinations, regarding the proof of rabie , since the puppy would be 8 weeks old, I' would have the veterinarian put the fact that puppy is too young for a vaccination..

I'm relieved to know that it only took you a few hours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
Exactly it has to be done by the person in the US sending you the dog . (you are the importer , they are the exporter).
The documents are time sensitive -- limited , usually 10 days before expiry.
Thanks Carmen!!! You are right though I forgot to add that I'd be picking her up on FL. I'll travel to FL, spend a few days there, pick her up and then bring her back with me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyominggrandma View Post
Contact the state vet lab where you live. They will give you all the information you need. Each country has different rabies requirements, when I shipped dogs to Japan, they had to have had rabies with in a year, but not less than three months. Still stayed in quarantine for a few weeks.
The state vet will have everything you need, but the health certificate has to be stamped by the state vet, local vets won't work.
Thank you! I've already researched where it is located in FL. Regarding rabies requirements, it's a 8 week puppy, I contacted them and they told me that I'd have to put the fact that the puppy is too young to be vaccinated. In my country, I made a call, and all I need is the International Health Certificate. No quarantine or such (even though it appears that way on the webpage).

Quote:
wyominggrandma - this still has to be done by the person who presently owns and cares for the animal in the US . The OP is in Venezuela .
I have shipped to Guyana and to Rio de Janeiro , and Hong Kong -- each and every one had very specific steps to follow before the dog could leave the country , in my case Canada , to whatever foreign destination. The Hong Kong dog needed government permission and a great deal of permits which the importer , person receiving dog in Hong Kong had to obtain.
Carmen! And what If I am in FL? Could I do it? Could I get the paper? Or, still, would It have to be done by the breeder who owns and cares for the animal in the US? Thanks in advance!

Helios, 3 YO GSD
Otto, 3 YO Yorkshire
Popi, 12 YO Pekingese
Boni, 12 YO Pekingese

Jessie, 5YO Yorkshire
Old 12-31-2013, 12:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Helios, 3 YO GSD
Otto, 3 YO Yorkshire
Popi, 12 YO Pekingese
Boni, 12 YO Pekingese

Jessie, 5YO Yorkshire
Old 12-31-2013, 12:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

you are taking a great deal of time, expenses and trouble to get this pup to take back to Venezuela . Hope it is worth it .

That being said there is no way that I would take this dog without the breeder having had a thorough professional veterinary examination and health certificate to verify . That is basic minimal expectation.

Then when ownership is transferred to you , which should be noted as you are travelling with the dog , then you can visit the vet for purposes of a more timely international health certificate . Do so within a few days before departing Florida . That way there will be no issue with a health certificate being invalid because it is over the time frame on arrival in your country. Things happen .

Carmspack
Old 12-31-2013, 02:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
you are taking a great deal of time, expenses and trouble to get this pup to take back to Venezuela . Hope it is worth it .

That being said there is no way that I would take this dog without the breeder having had a thorough professional veterinary examination and health certificate to verify . That is basic minimal expectation.

Then when ownership is transferred to you , which should be noted as you are travelling with the dog , then you can visit the vet for purposes of a more timely international health certificate . Do so within a few days before departing Florida . That way there will be no issue with a health certificate being invalid because it is over the time frame on arrival in your country. Things happen .
The dog will be checked by the breeder's professional veterinary ...and YES! I'd have the Health Certificate since it'll be shipped from IL to FL and because I need that to get the International one...

Thank you Carmen!

I wanted to hear other people's experiences since I'm kind of paranoid about the documents that I need to take there in order to get it endorsed. Since I'll only have like 3 days to do it I don't want anything going wrong, like not getting the paper or something because I missed anything...

Helios, 3 YO GSD
Otto, 3 YO Yorkshire
Popi, 12 YO Pekingese
Boni, 12 YO Pekingese

Jessie, 5YO Yorkshire

Last edited by Helios; 12-31-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.