German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Wireless dog fence? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/387442-wireless-dog-fence.html)

MidnightQueen 12-27-2013 08:19 PM

Wireless dog fence?

Need advice. I live on an L shaped property with two houses sitting on it. The rest of it has four big gardens with driveways that pass by them. I was wondering is there anyone that has had much experience with a radio fence as Zoey keeps going into my neighbours garden when I let her loose? I have no way of putting a physical fence down as we have no gate for our driveway, it's pretty wide.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Mary Beth 12-27-2013 09:39 PM

I have no experience but 2 of my neighbors have them and work well for their dogs. Considering your situation, unless you want to fence in some part of your yard for a dog run, I would think it would be worth a try.

wdkiser 12-27-2013 09:58 PM

I live in the country and have just under 17 acres all fenced in by an invisible fence (underground wire), but should be the same concept as a wireless except for the range. I had a lab that the fence worked well for except when it would break. It would still take him a long time to figure out it was broken because he wouldn't test it. I now have a mut and a GSD now and they respect the fence and have never gotten out. This is even when they chase wild animals (rabbits, possum, raccoons, etc). Is it possible they will run through the fence? Sure. But it has served me well and would surely be better than nothing for your situation.

doggiedad 12-27-2013 10:58 PM

fence off an area for your dog. i wouldn't trust an electric fence besides
an electric doesn't keep other animals out.

MidnightQueen 12-28-2013 07:40 PM

Thank you for your comments! Might consider a physical fence yet. :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

TAR HEEL MOM 12-28-2013 07:58 PM

My issue with the "invisible fences" - wired or not- is that it doesn't keep other animals or people away from your dogs.

Blitzkrieg1 12-28-2013 08:08 PM

If you have the right kind of dog the strange animals and people stay away fence or no...

sourdough44 01-09-2014 02:01 PM

I have our 5 acre property wired, laid it myself, easy. In many uses you don't have to bury the wire all the way around, just as needed. Our Lab(who passed recently) was an expert along the perimeter. I once watched her chase a fox along the edge, never going through as the fox left. I did the training with the flags & her on a leash.

Some dogs will power through if the draw is high enough. Ours was set to a warning tone a fair distance out from any 'correction'. The dog about never went to the warning line, but knew the edge.

You can buy the unit then add wire as needed. You just have to get a box to cover the acreage. Then you can't just turn the dog loose without training.

Now we are lining up for a German shepherd puppy. I don't expect her to learn how to stay inside until a fair amount older.

blackshep 01-09-2014 02:20 PM

I think for your situation it may work well, just keeping your dog out of the garden, but I agree with those who say it won't keep other animals out, and it's not a guarantee that your dog won't run through it. Sometimes they do that (chasing a squirrel or something) and are then afraid to cross back over and return home.

I think if you can fence (with a real fence) a portion of your yard for your dog, or do a dog run, that would probably be ideal.

huntergreen 01-09-2014 05:06 PM

i have always used 5 feet chain link fence.