German Shepherds Forum banner

Stupid "breed chooser" apps and games

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  David Winners 
#1 ·
So, I think I have come to some sort of conclusion as to why people get the wrong dog. My daughter has a "guess the breed" game (which by itself is a REALLY fun game...and she knows a ton of breeds too!) that also has a "which breed is good for you" app.

Her and I were playing around with it and I was purposely choosing things that SHOULD have given me Saint Bernard, Great Dane, and other giant breed dogs that are generally known for relaxing.

Guess what I was told was a good match? By 76-92%??? Australian Shepherd, Border Collie, Boxer, Pit Bull, German Shepherd...and the list full of active dogs that NEED jobs came up! No way!

Even my 10 year old recognized the problem and said "Mom, you think this is why people get dogs that end up needing a different home?"

Spot on kid. Spot on.

#4 ·
I just did the Iams breed chooser online and it gave me Cane Corso, GSD and Mal as my top 3 choices... but I already knew that ;)

#5 · (Edited)
I hope people are not making decisions based off of the tools the OP posted!!!!!

I do like some evaluative tools that PAWS Chicago uses for the dogs available for adoption. They categorize dogs based on a behavioral evaluation. Some of the labels are as follows:

"Busy Bee"
"Constant Companion"
"Wallflower"
"Free Spirit"
etc... (there are several others)

And, for each behavioral label, there is a description of what that means from the POV of someone who would be living with the dog.

I think this system is a good system.

#6 ·
I've done these as a joke and it came back GSD, Golden, and Lab as the top three. Oddly enough I have 2 GSD's, 2 Goldens, and a Samoyed mixed with Lab.

#8 ·
I just did the Iams one. GSD was my top pick, Belgium Laekanois also got 79%, then the Bovier des Flanders, and and Australian Shepherd. And then a Terv. I probably got the aussie because of the agility stuff, and the terv was lower because of my lack of grooming enthusiasm. I really do not agree with the aussie. But there was no question where I could give my preference of tail or no tail. A dog ought to have a tail. A real tail, that wags, and swishes, and knocks all the crap off the coffee table. Gotta have a tail.

#9 ·
But there was no question where I could give my preference of tail or no tail. A dog ought to have a tail. A real tail, that wags, and swishes, and knocks all the crap off the coffee table. Gotta have a tail.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.