German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Do you ever regreat getting a dog? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/387194-do-you-ever-regreat-getting-dog.html)

Doggypuppy 12-27-2013 09:31 AM

Do you ever regreat getting a dog?

Hello

So I got a puppy thats 6 months. Me and my SO are quiet young (23 and 24).

Don't get me wrong, I love our puppy and I cant think to rehome her. Ever.

However, a part of me sometimes regreat getting her because I no longer can travel, mostly because I dont know anyone I trust that can keep her for 1-2 weeks.

Am I alone with this feeling sometimes?

DJEtzel 12-27-2013 09:45 AM

I sure don't regret it. Got my first GSD with my boyfriend in high school. He's four years old now, have two more... If I travel I will either pay someone I trust to board them or take them with. :)

Shade 12-27-2013 09:47 AM

No, I never regret it. Is it always easy? No, it's not all sunshine and rainbows that's for sure. But the joy and happiness they bring me far outweighs the downfalls :)

huntergreen 12-27-2013 09:48 AM

it is always hard to leave your dog. i would not leave a puppy with anyone. other than the breeder. i can see hoe it ties you down a bit.

Bman0221 12-27-2013 09:51 AM

I know how you feel and would not feel bad about your feelings, although regret would be a strong word for me to use, yes sometimes it can be a pain owning a dog. Like you I would never get rid of my boy and I fortunately have a place to board mine that I trust.

I do understand the frustration though of always having to worry about getting home to the dog, finding a trustworthy boarding facility, the cost of boarding, etc. All the things that go along with owning a dog. I ,however, would not change it for the world and the pros of having a dog outweigh the cons for me.

My advice would be to keep searcing for a place you can board your dog that you can trust. I know it's hard and trust me I toured many kennels before I found one that I liked. Good ones are out there. Maybe someone in your area on here can recommend one.

Hang in there and good luck

DutchKarin 12-27-2013 10:00 AM

I do get what you are saying. I got my first GSD when I was about 22 years old. It was hard, it made renting hard, it made travel hard. She also became quite dog aggressive and at the time (long ago) I did not know that I could work on this with a trainer... it was pre-internet (oh god I'm old!). Anyway, I have never looked back and have always had a dog and usually multiple dogs in the house since that time nearly 30 years!
My advice is to train, train, socialize. A 6 month old will rule your world for a time. But if you invest now and you have a trustworthy dog in 8 months or so, you will be able to travel and get back some of your old life again. Just make the commitment to train, socialize and create a structured world for her now. Make sure you are crate training. That ends up being so convenient if you travel or take her somewhere new.

Good luck, it is worth it. My first dog was a GSD and now, like I said..24 years later I have a Dutchie and am at least with you in spirit... he is 7 months and rules my world but I know it is worth the investment.

Wild Wolf 12-27-2013 10:18 AM

Never. When we travel we take him with us, and if we want to travel in the future my parents will babysit him. To be honest, my parents are the only people I have ever trusted to look after him. Haha.

Doggypuppy 12-27-2013 10:18 AM

Im glad Im not alone with my feelings.

She is fully crate trained now. Tho hard to socialize her when I cant find any classes that has any spot for us :/ all of our friends have small dogs and she has atleast 10x their energy :P

gsdsar 12-27-2013 10:24 AM

I think regret is not the word I would use. But yes, sometimes my life would be easier if I did not have dogs, and sometimes I get annoyed that I have to revolve my life around them.

It would be nice to be able to leave from work and get a drink with friends, but I can't cause I have to let my dogs out.

It would be nice to be able to take a spontaneous trip for a weekend.

It would be nice to not have to vacuum constantly.

It would be nice to not spend 150 bucks a month on dog food.

But is IS nice to have a pup great me at the door every evening.

I love the way they look at me!

I love having a cold nose and warm body snuggle up on a cold night.

I love the amazing friends I have met through the dogs.

And the endless joy each dog has brought me.

So I don't regret them. But sometimes, sometimes.....

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

DJEtzel 12-27-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doggypuppy (Post 4729042)
Im glad Im not alone with my feelings.

She is fully crate trained now. Tho hard to socialize her when I cant find any classes that has any spot for us :/ all of our friends have small dogs and she has atleast 10x their energy :P

You know that you don't have to socialize her by letting her play with other dogs, right?

Take her out to a pet store. Walk around inside with some treats, proofing sit/down/stay/focus with distractions. Treat her when she sees other dogs (look at that training) to prevent reactive behavior later. This will wear her out faster than playing will, 9 times out of 10. You're working her BRAIN, and she's getting used to all of the sites/sounds/smells and what is expected of her everywhere.