German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   elk antler demolished in one day, ugh, what next? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/386906-elk-antler-demolished-one-day-ugh-what-next.html)

DobberDog 12-26-2013 08:09 PM

elk antler demolished in one day, ugh, what next?

So I bought Angel and Emmett a 12 inch split elk antler for christmas. They demolished over half of it since they got it yesterday morning. I was at the store getting more fromm's for Angel today and mentioned it to the owner. She showed me some horns from mountain sheep and horns from a water buffalo. The sheep horns are sourced in the USA and the water buffalo horns are sourced from India. I'm ok with the sheep horns since they are sourced in the USA but they are really thin walled and I can't see them lasting more than a day with the way my two chew on stuff. The water buffalo horns are very thick walled like 3 times the thickness of the sheep horns. Should I be worried about them being from India? Any reasons I shouldn't give a horn to my dogs for chewing? The store is a local one that is known for their knowledge of high quality foods and they carry a lot of treats and foods that you can't find in big box pet stores.

GrammaD 12-26-2013 08:15 PM

Try a chunk of moose antler. I buy mine from this gal:

1 1 Piece XXXLARGE Moose Chunk o1pxxxlmc57 by WSPuppyeyes on Etsy

She has other types as well and you can contact her, tell her your dog's size and chewing habits, and she will make a safe recommendation for you.

Huxley has had his moose antler chunk for over a year and it is barely worn. The shape is nice because he has to gnaw on it in such a way that I don't worry about broken teeth.

Remo 12-26-2013 08:16 PM

The deer/elk antlers that are NOT split seem to last a whole lot longer than the split ones. Have you tried them yet?

Sunflowers 12-26-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrammaD (Post 4726634)
Try a chunk of moose antler. I buy mine from this gal:

1 1 Piece XXXLARGE Moose Chunk o1pxxxlmc57 by WSPuppyeyes on Etsy

She has other types as well and you can contact her, tell her your dog's size and chewing habits, and she will make a safe recommendation for you.

Huxley has had his moose antler chunk for over a year and it is barely worn. The shape is nice because he has to gnaw on it in such a way that I don't worry about broken teeth.

Heh,heh... thanks, I just bought that moose antler :D

Stevenzachsmom 12-26-2013 08:58 PM

Definitely moose antlers. They are the hardest of the antlers. Tynes last much longer than splits. My dog has been working on his since September. He goes through the splits in a day.

Lucy Dog 12-26-2013 08:59 PM

Mine destroy those split elk antlers. They love them, but they don't last more than 24 hours.

Deer antlers seem to last much longer.

DobberDog 12-27-2013 08:54 AM

Thanks for the input. Ill try a moose antler and see how it goes.

huntergreen 12-27-2013 09:50 AM

can these hurt the dog or ruin their teeth? tks all

DJEtzel 12-27-2013 09:53 AM

I have heard great things about the water buffalo horns. SO swears by them for his Dobes.

katro 12-27-2013 10:19 AM

I think it's the split antlers that go pretty quick. Ralphie's got about half of an un-split deer antler still left to go that's about 6 months old. I bought him a split elk antler last week, though, and there's only a little stub of it left.