German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   I need advice: neighbor/fence (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/386882-i-need-advice-neighbor-fence.html)

Thorny 12-26-2013 06:46 PM

I need advice: neighbor/fence

Back Story:
I moved into a new place a few weeks ago. We've got a few acres and share a fence line with another dog family. These neighbors were best friends with the family we bought our house from. They were super friendly when we bought the house 6 months ago, but now we are involved in a court case with the previous owners (their friends) and we have not talked to or seen the neighbors since we moved in 2 weeks ago. I suspect they've heard bad talk about us from the previous home owner and are keeping their distance. Point being, there has been no communication between us in the past 3 months and I'm not totally sure why.

Current Situation:
The fence line we share with the neighbors is about 75 yards long, it's one border of my fenced-in back yard and the wire it's made of makes 5" square openings between the wires. The neighbors dogs are 2 males, 1 puppy and 1 aggressive female, all Labs. Their female sticks her head through the fence and bites at my dogs. I currently have my parent's 8 year old female lab here at my place and she's now been bit twice in 3 days. One tore her ear, and the second cut her snout. Both bites have come from the neighbors female, and both times I was in the yard with them and witnessed the bites.

(as an aside my GSD is not in danger of being bit, they act different towards him)

QUESTIONS:
1. What kind of wire mesh would you suggest I lay over the existing open mesh to keep their dogs heads out of my yard? I plan to buy a small breed dog in the future (30#'s max at full size) and I fear the puppy being bit if it ever sticks it's snout into their yard.

2. Since there seems to already be tension between us and the neighbors, would you suggest I say anything to them, or just put up the additional fence material?

Thanks to all for any feedback

JakodaCD OA 12-26-2013 06:52 PM

If your going to 'line' whats there, I'd say go the chicken wire route..Their heads won't get thru it, but it might not be 'strong' enough to keep a persistant dog out? and a young dog may be able to put their snout thru it.. If you could afford it, I'd throw up blockade fencing, even if it's only 4ft, it might help with their dogs confrontational attitude.

I would probably as a courtesy, write them a short note, if you don't want to speak with them, telling them what your going to do and frankly, I'd tell them why..their dog has been nailing yours..(I'd be nice about it)

Sp00ks 12-26-2013 06:54 PM

I would put up rabbit fence. The kind with the tall but narrow holes. Personally, I wouldn't say a word.

Or privacy fence :) (joking) I hate neighbors....

doggiedad 12-26-2013 07:27 PM

it's your side of the story, your neighbors side of the story
and what really happened.

huntergreen 12-26-2013 07:33 PM

put up the chicken wire, you double it if it needs it. just do it and stay away from them.

Thorny 12-26-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiedad (Post 4726362)

Help me understand that comment a little better. I'm looking for real advice, and I'll offer honest feedback.

JakodaCD OA 12-26-2013 07:47 PM

I think he's trying to say there are 3 sides to a story, frankly, who cares about the other two, we are trying to help "you":)

MiaMoo 12-26-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiedad (Post 4726362)

This is pretty irrelevant. The OP isn't asking anyone to comment on the situation, just on the fencing. Whether it's the neighbors dog attacking their own or vice versa, that won't change what type of fencing is appropriate.

To the OP: I'd go with chicken wire. Cheap, easy and you can double wrap it if needed. Whether you say something is up to you. If I were your neighbor I would probably get the hint when seeing the extra fencing go up, so there might not be a need to bring it up if you don't want to stress the situation more.

JakodaCD OA 12-27-2013 07:29 AM

Mia Moo, you said it better than I,,,not relevant :) thanks

Shade 12-27-2013 07:38 AM

I feel your pain, I really do as Ive been in a similar situation for over a year now. Thankfully no blood but several near misses and lots of frustration :(

Double wrapped chicken wire is cheap and effective or go with simple chain link with the privacy slats inserted. Best case scenario I would go straight to a 6\' wood privacy fence to ensure the dogs aren\'t able to touch in any way shape or form either digging, through the fence, or over it. It\'s about keeping YOUR dogs safe regardless.