Which breeds are most forgiving when it comes to impulsive dog buyers? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2013, 02:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Which breeds are most forgiving when it comes to impulsive dog buyers?

With so many people getting GSDs (and other various trendy breeds such as huskies, malamutes, malinois', dutchies etc.) without doing research, and everyone hammering into them about the work that should have gone into it all beforehand, I've been wondering - which breeds in your opinion are the most 'forgiving' when it comes to not doing your homework prior? And for fun - which breeds absolutely require high level knowledge and experience, and would be the worst idea ever for someone who didn't take the time to learn about/experience them in person first? Of course every dog is and individual, one can not generalise a breed etc. etc.

Please note, this was asked purely out of curiosity. I'm not the sort of person that can do anything without researching it to death first, and the research never ends either.

TL;DR: Which breed(s), in your opinioin, would be less trouble for impulsive owners who went out and got a dog without reading up first
Vagus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2013, 03:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

IMHO, based on temperament and barring some health issues that go along with different breeds, my list would include well bred members of the companion breeds.

Bichon, Papillion, Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, French Bulldog, Keeshond, Pomeranian, Boston Terrier.

Or the used to be working breeds that are now mostly watered down versions of the breed (not to say that there aren't still working dogs of these breeds, but they are rare).

Saint Bernard Dog, Mastiff breeds, Greater Swiss / Bernese / Entlebucher Mountain Dogs, Great Dane, Newfoundland, Great Pyrenees.

For the worst possible breeds chosen for inexperienced dog owners I would choose members of the Livestock Guarding Dog and Molosser groups.

Ovcharka, Presa Canario, Cane Corso, Fila Brasileiro, Dogo Argentino, Boerboel, Kuvasz.
David Winners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I think well bred Labs would be a good choice, although contrary to some beliefs they are an active breed. They are so easy to live with, especially with children. I think David's choices for bad picks is excellent.
ksotto333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Labs, Lab-doodles,Boston Terriers, i think those would be good ones to start out with.

Things to avoid would be Border Collies and herding breeds until who know what you are commiting too. Also live stock guardians would be something to avoid until you knew what you were doing.

The trend today is small purse dogs, a tea cup k9 that will fit in your LV, not saying that those dogs are easy by any means.

Ive always loved royal standard poodles, they are insanely gorgeous dogs. I have heard that they are good dogs to start with. Most people around my area have your typical lab in tote with the caravan and strollers, or the labradoodles.

I dont think your going to see to many newbies wih giant Tibetan Mastiffs strolling down the street casually, although i have to say that those dogs are gorgeous.
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Gotta go with the lab. I had German Shepherds, Akita, Great Dane, Boxer mixed with Stupid. Then I got Ivan a little lab mix and Wiggles another little lab mix. OMG they were the easiest puppies ever. Both are content to crawl onto laps and cuddle. No little land sharks there. They are by far the easiest, happy go lucky, soft mouthed dogs I've even had.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Never have I encountered a mean or ornery Brittany Spaniel. Never. They all just wanna hunt and play. Boxers as a rule tend to be pretty easy, once you get past the wacko hyper pup/adolescent stages.

Dogs that you can really mess up being a n00b owner would be:
Border Collies
German Shepherds, Shorthairs
Mals
Dutchies
Doberman, and their look alike mini version Min-Pins(worst land sharks I know of)
Chows
Akitas
Dalmations

That list is just dogs I have seen personally get screwed up by poor/neglectful/misunderstanding the breed. Herding breeds suffer the most with neurotic behaviors from being under-stimulated. BCs in particular have it bad with lazy or inattentive owners.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

All the Golden Retrievers I've known have been lovely, doofy dogs who are happy to be fat and lazy, as long as in the company of their beloved families.

I knew a samoyed who was the dumbest, sweetest, jolliest dog I think I've ever met. Keeping him groomed was a chore, but that dog was friendly and gentle--and pretty lazy. All strangers were instantly assumed to be new friends. I don't know if he's typical, but if so, maybe samoyeds would be a much better choice for inexperienced people who are attracted to huskies and other more challenging northern breeds.
Magwart is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Golden retrievers are pretty n00b proof (though the one dog I've been seriously attacked by was a Golden...). Labs can actually be a pretty terrible choice for new owners...unless those owners are really committed, most I know just say "oh, it's a lab" and they end up with a dog with moderate drive and energy and zero exercise or training. All of the WORST behaved dogs I know are labs who in experienced or committed homes (read: not the average pet owner) would do very well. I think those of us who are members of this forum, even who do not work their dogs and/or are first-time owners, are pretty far above and beyond the "average" pet owner. It's pretty shocking how little time Joe Schmoe wants to, or knows that he needs to, put in to a dog. I think it's why I see so many nuts-o boxers, labs, terriers, etc.

Overall I think David's post is spot on... dogs who are bred for companionship are going to be a much better choice than a dog who is bred to work or hunt.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

most, if not all spaniels would be a good choice for a newb. some mixed breeds would also be nice if someone experienced helped them choose.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslesleedavis1 View Post
Labs, Lab-doodles
I agree with Labs, not so much Labradoodles or any of the designer "doodle" mixes. While I've never met a mean 'doodle, they are a high-maintenance dog in terms of grooming, and breeders are doing the best they can to hide this fact from na´ve and ignorant puppy buyers. Very often I see people with a 'doodle as their first dog, and they have NO CLUE how much grooming this "breed" requires, and I get these 8 month old 'doodle puppies that have never been bathed, brushed, or otherwise cared for, they're tangled and matted to the skin, and the ignorant owner wants them to keep all that shaggy length and gets upset when they discover it isn't possible.

It's taken me about two years to get my 'doodle clients in line, since as a rule they don't bother to brush their dogs or do anything to maintain their coats, they have to come in for professional grooming every four weeks or the dog is getting shaved. So, not a good choice for a na´ve dog owner IMO. If they came out with a shorthaired 'doodle, with the coat of a Lab, I might change my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
All the Golden Retrievers I've known have been lovely, doofy dogs who are happy to be fat and lazy, as long as in the company of their beloved families.
I have to second this. Most Goldens don't have issues with aggression, resource guarding, or any of the things that make a pet dog dangerous. They can be boisterous when young, especially the "field" type, but in the average family, most become too fat to be very athletic and are content to lie around the house not causing too much trouble. The biggest problems I have with Goldens is their tendency to become obese and then use their weight against you, either by pulling on leash, or laying down and stubbornly refusing to move. There is nothing heavier than a fat Golden that doesn't want to do something. But in light of all the bad things a dog can do, that isn't the worst, so Goldens get my vote for a family-friendly dog.

Cavalier Spaniels are also pretty benign, as are Toy Poodles, Shih Tzus, and many of the Toy breeds. But again, they are high-maintenance in terms of grooming, so owners need to have a modicum of education about this.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.