modern GSD (article) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default modern GSD (article)

Hey guys,
no idea if this is the correct section so please feel free to move it if necessary.
the modern gsd has seen some major evolution over the last 30 years with discussions on weather the breed is declining or changing etc. i always wondered how a modern gsd compares to a older gsd.
here is a great article which goes over it.

http://www.videxgsd.com/PDF/Strength...dern%20GSD.pdf

hope you enjoy the read
d4mmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Very interesting and well written.
fredh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Great article, written in 2009 I think and I don't know if any of the suggestions were taken.

Interesting how temperament is such a recognized interest. Like the way they showed many of the dogs that did the best in the courage test then did horribly in the 'crowded room' test.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

great article, tks for posting.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2013, 06:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

It's good article my mum based her breeding on uran vom wilde stiegerland and that breeding produced very sound temperament I myself bought gsd based on that breeding great temperament couldn't be faulted for me I like the older breeding lines they had good straight back with gentle slope good size and all round nice dogs now 37 years on I see small gsd with accentuated sloping back small maybe still good temperament bit means nothing when I see owners putting them to sleep due to spine problems hip problems kennel club brought this change about and for me not for the good of the breed and I maybe criticised for that but give me a uran breeding line any day of the week mine lived till she was 13 and had to put to sleep at least because of old age and she was based on uran had fantastic temperament and no hip issues straight back gentle slope near bum she was great but sadly lost to organ failure I personally believe should be bred for sound temperament good spine structure good hips can't ask for anymore than that I for one won't buy the modern breeding don't like what is being produced give me old breeding any day with that at least it has good strong structure good temperament but that's my personal preference I grew up with that and know what I'm getting luckily still alot breeders basing there lines on the older breed lines but my live of this breed is where it came from. My first shepherd was based on the canto von den wieneru lines he was superb in every way I could take him through every walk of life I went through he lived everything from animals to parrots to humans he had such a love of everything and made championship level but he was my life and thats how I want my gsd to be

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
sarah1366 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.