German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Whats up with the spam (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/385930-whats-up-spam.html)

huntergreen 12-24-2013 08:27 AM

Whats up with the spam

Seems some spam about about movies is being posted, this is the second time. Anyway to prevent this? Seems like a good way to send a virus.

Sp00ks 12-24-2013 08:43 AM

I have been the admin of a couple of forums. This is a constant battle.

-Moderator approval for first time posters.
-verification to post that spiders can't pick up
-full registration before you can post.

Those are about the only effective ways I came up with to battle the spam. Banning user names or IP addresses proves ineffective.

glinny 12-24-2013 08:54 AM

Read this post and then about 6 posts down the page was one of the movie spams that you are talking about. They are very strange. Kind of like an article with a bunch of movie titles thrown in at random. Be sure to click on the exclamation point at the bottom to notify a moderator. Then also post that you notified so that no one else has to do it. The moderators delete them pretty quickly.

glinny 12-24-2013 08:57 AM

Forgot to say that if you report one, they will delete all messages from the same name.

MichaelE 12-24-2013 09:12 AM

The owners of the board will not do what is necessary to prevent this. I've stopped reporting it. It isn't worth my time anymore. I have my own board(s) to admin & moderate.

MaggieRoseLee 12-24-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelE (Post 4718562)
The owners of the board will not do what is necessary to prevent this. I've stopped reporting it. It isn't worth my time anymore. I have my own board(s) to admin & moderate.

:confused:

That 100% not true so hope other readers are ignoring it.

The board owners have been trying to fix this but the spammers are very clever and work their around many of the filters that are set up. As a Moderator I see some of the posts that are caught by the filter, but many still get thru.

So please continue to do a 'Notify'http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...iLuQWGoFrJ.png when you see spam pop up, so we Mods/Admin get a specific email and when we return to our computers we can ban the spammer to get rid of them posting (until the next time).

Sp00ks 12-24-2013 09:45 AM

I still report them.

Oh and I'd like to take the opportunity to thank the Moderators and admins. It's a thankless job and the pay sucks. Keep up the good work!

MichaelE 12-24-2013 10:00 AM

I posted links to the V-bulletin site that had two simple fixes that could be implemented for automatic spambots.

One was using a blank field that only a spambot could see. Spambots will fill out any blank field presented in the registration que.

If this particular blank field had an entry, registration was automatically blocked. Very simple fix.

The other was approving each registration using a question and answer challenge that only a human could answer.

And finally, requiring new member's posts to be shuttled to a que for moderation before allowing to post in the general forum area.

Your board, you can put up with the needless extra work. I feel for ya. :help:

huntergreen 12-24-2013 02:51 PM

didn't know how to notify, nor did i want to start a debate about how things should be done. sorry mods and admin.

alexg 12-24-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelE (Post 4718746)
I posted links to the V-bulletin site that had two simple fixes that could be implemented for automatic spambots.

One was using a blank field that only a spambot could see. Spambots will fill out any blank field presented in the registration que.

If this particular blank field had an entry, registration was automatically blocked. Very simple fix.

The other was approving each registration using a question and answer challenge that only a human could answer.

And finally, requiring new member's posts to be shuttled to a que for moderation before allowing to post in the general forum area.

Your board, you can put up with the needless extra work. I feel for ya. :help:

I've seen this done on some forums, it works very well.